• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Barua

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2011
    Eagle Creek
    I was stationed in Japan for 4 years. Me and my wife (who is Japanese) visited Hiroshima last year. I took some pictures while I was there.
    hiroshima2e.jpg

hiroshima3e.jpg

hiroshima.jpg

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I was stationed in Japan for 4 years. Me and my wife (who is Japanese) visited Hiroshima last year. I took some pictures while I was there.
    hiroshima2e.jpg

hiroshima3e.jpg

hiroshima.jpg

I always thought it interesting that this building, which was at ground zero, was gutted but the structure itself survived.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    So you're saying you see absolutely no difference in destroying a strategic military target and slaughtering innocent civilians?

The loss of life is terrible regardless. However, the brave soldiers in the military signed up with the possibility that they may be killed in the line of duty. The unarmed civilians of a nation do not volunteer to fight in a war, they have no ability to fight back, and as such I do not think they should be specifically targeted, whether it be by the US, Japan, England, Germany or any other nation.

Another product of our "enlightened" education system. Sad, actually.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    The USAAF did not just arbitrarily decide to kill Japanese civilians. The authorization to drop each bomb came from the President of the United States. The targets were selected specifically because they were industrial centers of military arms. The arms factories were surrounded by residential areas, for their proximity to workers and infrastructure.

Harry S. Truman made the tough call to end the war quickly. In August 1945, the Japanese were still fighting in New Guinea, the Philippines, French Indochina, Manchuria, China and hundreds of individual islands in the pacific. If he had not ordered the dropping of the bombs, many hundreds of thousands of people would have died needlessly.

I point these facts out, in order to stand up to the revisionist, hateful slandering of history that is so prevalent in today’s culture.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The USAAF did not just arbitrarily decide to kill Japanese civilians. The authorization to drop each bomb came from the President of the United States. The targets were selected specifically because they were industrial centers of military arms. The arms factories were surrounded by residential areas, for their proximity to workers and infrastructure.

Harry S. Truman made the tough call to end the war quickly. In August 1945, the Japanese were still fighting in New Guinea, the Philippines, French Indochina, Manchuria, China and hundreds of individual islands in the pacific. If he had not ordered the dropping of the bombs, many hundreds of thousands of people would have died needlessly.

I point these facts out, in order to stand up to the revisionist, hateful slandering of history that is so prevalent in today’s culture.

Bravo! :patriot:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    It should also be remembered that the swastika and the NAZI ideal of racial purity was brought
    back to Germany from Japan. Not the other way around. Germany was proud to cross into France and
    destroy their way of life 3 times in 100 years. Since 1945 when we took the war inside their
    borders and tore their country to pieces, they have been very peaceful.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    At least he did his crying without throwing the word "genocide" in, that was kinda refreshing. :):

I've noticed the word "genocide" must really be hammered into students nowadays, but apparently the definition of it, is not. Hence the post from Pirate.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It should also be remembered that the swastika and the NAZI ideal of racial purity was brought
    back to Germany from Japan. Not the other way around. Germany was proud to cross into France and
    destroy their way of life 3 times in 100 years. Since 1945 when we took the war inside their
    borders and tore their country to pieces, they have been very peaceful.

Actually the swastika has been used for centuries as a symbol of good luck by a number of different cultures, including several American Indian tribes. It was used as the shoulder patch of the US 45th Infantry Division until the mid-1930s, and can also be seen decorating the wrought-iron railing around the porch on the West Baden Springs Hotel in West Baden, Indiana.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    At least he did his crying without throwing the word "genocide" in, that was kinda refreshing. :):

I've noticed the word "genocide" must really be hammered into students nowadays, but apparently the definition of it, is not. Hence the post from Pirate.

You really have to wonder just what kind of crap is being taught in public schools these days.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Though maybe not a reason to celebrate it's definitely noteworthy and should not be forgotten.
    It brought an end to a cruel, inhumane, and lingering war.
    I lost family to the Japanese and Germans in WWII.
    I have an uncle that was a POW of the Japanese. I asked him about this years ago and all I could get from that kind, peaceful, church going man was....."They got what they deserved".
    IHMO...."IF you start a war you'd better win the damned thing". IF not...you'll be judged harshly

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte

You really have to wonder just what kind of crap is being taught in public schools these days.

I thought we were having a friendly historical debate?

I was simply expressing my point of view on this historic event. I think that decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan was ill-advised, although, I can see both sides of the argument and acknowledge that you make some valid points in favor of the decision.

However, I don't think its appropriate to for you to question me or my education, and I resent the implication that I am a "historical revisionist" or somehow not a patriot just because I disagree with some of the past decisions our government has made.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus

I was simply expressing my point of view on this historic event. I think that decision to drop the atomic bombs on Japan was ill-advised, although, I can see both sides of the argument and acknowledge that you make some valid points in favor of the decision.

However, I don't think its appropriate to for you to question me or my education, and I resent the implication that I am a "historical revisionist" or somehow not a patriot just because I disagree with some of the past decisions our government has made.

Your patriotism was not the issue. Your opinions, however, are based in large part upon the education which you received, and that is what I would say lay somewhere between revisionist and outright crap.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Hey! I actually complemented you.:D
    And as I have said, at least twice in this thread, you have every right to voice your opinion, wait for it, partially because of the atomic bombs. Of course, we will never know just how much influence the atomic bombs had on other countries who may have had ill will towards us, but I will guarantee you, our freedoms have been much safer because the bombs existed, and were used.

pokersamurai

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    LaPorte
    Your patriotism was not the issue. Your opinions, however, are based in large part upon the education which you received, and that is what I would say lay somewhere between revisionist and outright crap.

Alright, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
    After all, I guess what one person calls educational enlightenment another calls outright crap and vice-verse. :D

Hey! I actually complemented you.:D
    And as I have said, at least twice in this thread, you have every right to voice your opinion, wait for it, partially because of the atomic bombs. Of course, we will never know just how much influence the atomic bombs had on other countries who may have had ill will towards us, but I will guarantee you, our freedoms have been much safer because the bombs existed, and were used.

That's true, It is better the US has the bomb rather than not, and things may very well have turn-out worse if we had not used the bomb. I guess at this point it's all just academic.

I suppose I'm just part of this newfangled generation who would prefer not to nuke someone else. (except maybe Canada) :D

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    When the United States commits itself to war, it follows nine principles in winning that war. Violate any of the principles and we risk losing. Dropping the two bombs in August 1945, used the principles of Objective, Offense, Mass, Economy of Force and Surprise to maximum effect. Our enemy knew in two blinding flashes, their means of waging war was over. Follows the personal protection concept of "Bring Enough Gun". :ar15::ar15::ar15:

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Anyone who has never visited the USAF museum at Dayton OH, should make every effort to go there. The Bockscar (Nagasaki bomber), is on display there, and is an awesome sight to see.:yesway:

Or you could do like I did this summer, and go see the "original" at Dulles Airport.

582352_735516139567_1635758243_n.jpg

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I don't really understand why we're arguing about something that happened 67 years ago

You would have to be woefully ignorant of the consequences of nuclear warfare to think that this won't be debated for centuries to come.

And that's without taking ANY side in the debate about the legality or prudence of using the bomb against Japan.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's the million dollar question. Would the US have dropped the A-Bomb on a German city if the Nazis still had a capable fight force, and had not already surrendered?

In order to get a nations soldiers to justify killing en masse, without regret, you have to dehumanize your enemy. In the Japanese-American dynamic that was certainly the case (used by both sides); but interestingly enough, not used with the German-American one.

I agree the A-Bomb ended the war, and saved millions of lives, but would have it ever been considered.... seriously, to be deployed against a "European" nation? I think not, boots would have been put on the beaches.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Considering that we bombed Dresden, a city without war industry or strategic value, and caused
    Untold death and destruction....yeah I'm pretty sure we'd have nuked Berlin if Truman had
    thought it necessary.
    If Ike had known about Auschwitz, he'd have for sure.

Top Bottom