• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    My mother has a 686 and absolutely loves it (she picked it out herself, I was shocked since we went in to get a J-frame for her). I have several Ruger revolvers and that Smith trigger (like most Smith triggers) is very nice right out of the box.

Can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. Probably better get both.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    I have a 4 in 686 and a few weeks ago we were shooting out behind the work place on our lunch hour,my coworker brought out his gp100 and after a couple of boxes of shells he turned to me and said how well he liked the trigger on the smith.

But I still think they are both good guns!!

Aaronhome27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Kendallville
    I think both guns are great looking guns. Smiths are great right out of the box while fitting a Ruger with a Wolfe spring IMO brings it up to the same level as the Smith. Pick what you like. Both will run for many years. If you choose the Ruger though you can buy some good plinking rounds with the money you have left over.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i like Ruger SA's and Smith DA's......had a GP-100 and trade it and keep these.....both are -4's......Smith have by far better trigger out of the box.....

2exxd39.jpg

Nightwalker65

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2011
    Seymour
    I've shot both,and like both equally.....the trigger's on the examples I shot were both very good(no idea if they'd been worked or not)....the Smith felt,for lack of a better term"graceful but powerful",if that makes any sense,and the Ruger felt strong and solid.....from there it comes down to looks for me,and I tend to favor the Smith over the Ruger...I just think it has better lines........that's my:twocents:.....but it's really which one you like better that matters.....whichever one you pick,enjoy!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    GP100's are by far my favorite wheel gun. I've only handled the 686's to compare and never shot one so I couldn't compare the triggers. Although, I'm not picky on most trigger pulls as a lot of people seem to be, but I do think I like the feel/appearance of the gp's better however slight the differences may be.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I used to own a 4" blued GP100. FANTASTIC revolver. Well balanced, built like a tank. Single action trigger was very very good as well. I never had an issue with the DA trigger, either. I never noticed any grittiness or hitches in the pull. I should never have sold it.

I now have a 5" 686-6. And while I haven't fired it yet, the DA trigger seems more stiff than on my former GP100. The SA trigger on the 686 is, though, very very light and crisp.

-J-

bamthetrashman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I own a non-dash 4" 686, but I have shot both. There is only one thing I don't like about the 686... I feel like it looks too nice to shoot. After I get it all cleaned up, which takes forever cause I shoot lead bullets over Unique, I just want to look at it and not get it dirty. I feel like if I had a GP-100 I wouldn't care as much about babying the pistol and that I would actually use it for its intended purpose, lots of shooting. I am not trying to say the GP-100 is any tougher than the 686, I just like keeping my 686 nice and shiny.

When I do shoot the 686, its amazingly accurate. I could shoot a golf ball all day at 10 yards. Thats probably not impressive for a lot of people around here, but for a cube jockey that bought this gun a year ago, I think thats pretty good.

hf3787

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    I shoot a 686 in international pistol. You won't find a better gun for the price.--Especially the early ones

Top Bottom