• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Out of 36,000 state employees, 20,000 have been laid off. One revelation is that there are over 1,000 state employees on the payroll at Canterbury Downs, the horse racing track.

Does this mean that there are only 16,000 essential employees?

If the people of Minesota don't wake up over this, they deserve what they get.

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    6 days with 20,000 less employees? Sounds like there is some cost savings there....

I want to see projections on how much has been saved to date with 20K less staff... Then I want to see what it looks like after 2 weeks...

Never know could become common practice for gov't employees to get a week / month off of work without pay......

just my 2 cents.

IndyPrepper

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The downsides are that hunting/fishing licenses are shut down, but DNR will still enforce the law regarding same...

...worse than that, doctors and nurses are unable to renew their licenses, which will be a problem eventually.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The downsides are that hunting/fishing licenses are shut down, but DNR will still enforce the law regarding same...

...worse than that, doctors and nurses are unable to renew their licenses, which will be a problem eventually.

Stop requiring licenses to do everything then! Everybody wins! :):
    /deadserious

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as I'm concerned, the only vital employs are trash, water, and sewer (minus the money spent dumping fluoride in the water). I say shut down all the rest of gov't for a year and see what happens.

I bet this country will be a lot better off.

My 1,000th post. Yeah!

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    As far as I'm concerned, the only vital employs are trash, water, and sewer (minus the money spent dumping fluoride in the water). I say shut down all the rest of gov't for a year and see what happens.

I bet this country will be a lot better off.

My 1,000th post. Yeah!

Trash is easily handled. I have had a private trash contract for decades. Everyone was benefiting. My government realized this, and passed a "law" to take over trash service. Now they get to butt in on the money the private sector enjoyed. Government is a business, with one key exception.

starbreather

Master
    Rating - 95.3%
    61   3   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    exiting stage left!
    Aren't fire and police considered important government employees?

Imagine that all 20,000 made an average of a $100/day = 2000000 saved/day × 6 days = 12000000 savings = a sound way to cut the deficit.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Stop requiring licenses to do everything then! Everybody wins! :):
    /deadserious

The medical groups (ie. American Medication Association) would NEVER allow this. They need that power to keep their "regin" in order.

Out of 36,000 state employees, 20,000 have been laid off. One revelation is that there are over 1,000 state employees on the payroll at Canterbury Downs, the horse racing track.

Does this mean that there are only 16,000 essential employees?

If the people of Minesota don't wake up over this, they deserve what they get.

Well off course they have 1,000 employees at the horse racinging track. The .gov wants to make sure it gets it's fair share of the profit at this place. Makes sence to put a lot of workers there so you know you are not getting ripped off (from a biz point of view).

Wisconsin could likely be next candidate.

Followed by CA and/or IL and then a ton of other states.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    This sounds good till ya figure in the unemployment benefits.....

May or may not be true. Depends on how the shut-down occured. For example earlier this year Cook County, IL was going to shut down due to budget issues. They informed their workers that if they shut down they (the workers) would NOT be able to collect unemployment benefits either.

I got this information from a person who rides the train with me and was telling us about it.

Not sure how the case in Minnesota is.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    May or may not be true. Depends on how the shut-down occured. For example earlier this year Cook County, IL was going to shut down due to budget issues. They informed their workers that if they shut down they (the workers) would NOT be able to collect unemployment benefits either.

I got this information from a person who rides the train with me and was telling us about it.

Not sure how the case in Minnesota is.

New to Indiana is the fact that if a company (and I assume government also) shuts down "temporarily" then you are not allowed to file for unemployment benefits.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Trash is easily handled. I have had a private trash contract for decades. Everyone was benefiting. My government realized this, and passed a "law" to take over trash service. Now they get to butt in on the money the private sector enjoyed. Government is a business, with one key exception.

Good Point. I probably should have said trash, water, and sewer temporarily until private sector could take over. How quickly I forget my years when I lived in the country.

Top Bottom