• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my savage .308 will safely shoot 7.62x51 nato rounds. If I understand right a .308 will shoot 7.62nato but a 7.62nato wont shoot .308. Is this correct or not. thanks

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me if my savage .308 will safely shoot 7.62x51 nato rounds.

All day every day.

If I understand right a .308 will shoot 7.62nato but a 7.62nato wont shoot .308. Is this correct or not. thanks

They are the same diameter, but 7.62 NATO rounds produce a lower pressure than the .308 Win can have, so you have to be careful with what you shoot.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    Some of the dimensions on the 7.62 NATO round are just slightly smaller than a .308. So they work in a .308 but .308's won't work in a rifle specifically engineered as a 7.62 NATO.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    All day every day.

They are the same diameter, but 7.62 NATO rounds produce a lower pressure than the .308 Win can have, so you have to be careful with what you shoot.

Fairly big difference in pressure too. Another issue with some rifles is splitting the case. If I shoot commercial .308 win out of my Cetme, I always make sure I have something to clear a stuck casing (been lucky as all of them have ejected no problem but you could tell a few had been stretched).

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    i know people keep saying theres a difference but there really isn't. A nato 7.62 is a .308. Nato rounds are almost always 168gr while in the civ market you can buy all different kinds of grs. And hell no...no nato weapon would be effected by another kind(gr) ammo. Thats just nonsense.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    It sounds to me like the same thing as .223 vs 5.56. They are not actually the same, but close enough that folks bicker about it. Yay for things such as these.....Your normally scheduled thread will now continue.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Heres another question.. The SA M1A is chambered in 7.62x51 NATO, but SA says its chambered for both in the manual...

I've shot both in mine with no problems. If your shooting .308, SA recommends nothing heavier than 168gr though. You run a greater chance of a bent op rod with heavier bullets. That's what I was told in an email from SA.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    i know people keep saying theres a difference but there really isn't. A nato 7.62 is a .308. Nato rounds are almost always 168gr while in the civ market you can buy all different kinds of grs. And hell no...no nato weapon would be effected by another kind(gr) ammo. Thats just nonsense.

Nnnnno. :noway:

The NATO stuff was 147gr FMJ and .308 is not the same pressure as 7.62 NATO (.308 is higher by standard than NATO ammo).

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    There's a little difference in where they headspace, IIRC.

308 in a 7.62 chamber will usually stretch, I wouldn't recommend it and neither would the firearm maker. Will it fit? Yea. Will it be safe? How lucky do you feel? SAAMI requires guns to be proofed at 125% their normal chamber pressures.

I'll just leave that as my 2 cents, and not over-exaggerate the issue like how it's usually put across.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

As already mentioned, the NATO are usually closer to 147gr. and a NATO weapon could be affected greatly by using commercial .308win because of pressure differences. Depending on the weapon, you could also have a long afternoon of fun trying to remove split cases. CETME platforms are known to stretch or even rip stuck cases in two. The pressure difference between the 7.62x51 and .308 win is about 12,000psi. It is nonsense to believe that there MIGHT not be issues, especially if the weapon hasn't seen proper care.

xHwyLT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    Monroe

Bendrx; It sounds to me like the same thing as .223 vs 5.56. They are not actually the same, but close enough that folks bicker about it. Yay for things such as these.....Your normally scheduled thread will now continue.
    Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that there is a difference for both these calibers.
    A rifle chambered in .308Win will shoot 7.62mm Nato, without a problem, but a rifle chambered in 7.62mm Nato should not be used to fire .308Win. ammo.
    A rifle chambered in 5.56mm Nato will shoot .223Rem, without a problem, but a rifle chambered in .223Rem should not be used to fire 5.56mm Nato ammo.
    The reason for this situation in the .308/7.62mm, & the .223/5.56mm, is because of the difference in the chamber pressure, case wall thickness, & the leade (correct spelling). Look it up, if you don't know what it is.
    The weight of the bullet has nothing to do with the issue other than to change the point of impact. Most military ammo is loaded with FMJ 147 - 150 grains, depending on the manufacturing country.
    You can probably get away with using the ammo interchangeably, but in the long run, you will cause problems for the rifle chambered in 7.62mm and the .223Rem. I really wouldn't recommend it.

purduepurdy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    I think I should call DPMS and let the manufacturer have the last word.

Exactly, their 7.62nato guns are made for both, while their 308s are for 308 only. Talked to one of their gun techs before ordering. I suggest doing the same or having an email on file. Love my LR308 Sportical.

Top Bottom