• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Too late for me to address this just worked about 48 hrs straight.
    Let me send an email or two I will get us an answer on WTF is up!

BBI is correct on the plates as usual!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I'm sure whatever the real reason is...is not really being released in the solicitation. It probably has something to do with physics. Physics the .556 can't achieve no matter how much the fan boys pout about it.

I say forget the half measures and just go back to the .45-70! :cool:

:popcorn:

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'm sure whatever the real reason is...is not really being released in the solicitation.

Indeed. 100% agreement from me, and unless there are policy makers and government arms scientists on this forum speaking openly about what is going on--at risk to their careers, if not more--then I'd gues NOBODY here is "in the boat" of informed individuals.

I say forget the half measures and just go back to the .45-70!

I guess you take your call sign seriously?!

hehehe... the .45-70 did work pretty okay for what it was intended to do at the time it was employed.

-Nate

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    [/SIZE] hehehe... the .45-70 did work pretty okay for what it was intended to do at the time it was employed. -Nate

Yeah, it was/is a hammer. I know the Spanish were very impressed (read terrified) by the Gatling Gun crews in Cuba. Sure, go ahead, take cover...we'll wait; then we will chew your fort to the ground.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Reading some posts it's funny how the government or political propaganda machine from the vietnam war era is still going strong in the minds of today's American citizen that thinks we lost or mutualy withdrew because of the M16 and it's round. Wrong. We lost because of politicians not letting the military do it's damn job and politicians have done it in every conflict since. I hope it changes with Trump and he releases the beast to do it's job. We could have easily won the Vietnam war. We could easily win any war even with Russia and or China and North Korea.
    The 5.56 round and the m16 varients that fire it are plenty capable and I'll gladly use it anytime.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    The .308 had it's turn as did a lot of prior cartridges and calibers. I'm NOT arguing FOR another 762.
    I'd like to see a new military caliber that's light and performs better than what we've been running.
    Having used BOTH the 556 and 7.62x51 I'll take the 762 all day long over the 556.
    I didn't like humping the M14 and ammo but I didn't like carrying the M16 into the doo doo even more.
    I didn't want to hump the M60 either

THIS right here, is WISDOM !!!!!

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Reading some posts it's funny how the government or political propaganda machine from the vietnam war era is still going strong in the minds of today's American citizen that thinks we lost or mutualy withdrew because of the M16 and it's round. Wrong. We lost because of politicians not letting the military do it's damn job and politicians have done it in every conflict since. I hope it changes with Trump and he releases the beast to do it's job. We could have easily won the Vietnam war. We could easily win any war even with Russia and or China and North Korea.
    The 5.56 round and the m16 varients that fire it are plenty capable and I'll gladly use it anytime.

Point of order...we did not lose the VN war. We withdrew our forces after the signing of the Paris Peace Accords. The NV violated that treaty and our congress abandoned the SV by not providing the support they promised when it was signed. We could have avoided all that by defeating NV altogether but that option was denied us as you note.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Ok

Got a response!
    Looks like the Army is looking for a replacement for the 5.56 and the M4 and M249 the caliber is negotiable 6.5 creedmore 264 USA ect.
    The platform is negotiable as well.
    If the sky would part and miracles would be granted the new caliber would cover the GPMG but that's still kinda in the air.
    Lots of smart guys worried about body armor both current and future.
    The whole NATO thing is kinda out the window.
    Still in the testing stages.
    nothing Follows at this time!

Wth is 264 USA?

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    To add to the above reference; here is an article that has some ballistic tables from the same site.

Modern Intermediate Calibers 021: The US Army Marksmanship Unit's .264 USA - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Just like every other caliber thread that starts on here (including a recent 6.5 v .270 thread by myself); "one size fits all" does not exist. Unless you go with something like the FN 5.7; seems hard to put something downrange with enough velocity to defeat body armor without "excessive" recoil or cartridge weight/size?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    A new "pointed" 123gr SMK with its 0.272 G7 BC @ 2650fps from a 16.7" barrel would, assuming 500' ASL elevation, 59F, 29.92" pressure and 0% humidity would have the following ballistics:

600yds: 4.4mil drop, 1.3mil drift, 1758fps, and 844ft/lb energy
    1000 yards: 10.3mil, 2.5mil drift, 1263fps, and 435ft/lb energy.

Compare this to M316 Mod 0 from a 20" M110, which uses a 175gr SMK with 0.243 G7 BC @ 2550fps

600yds: 5.0mil drop, 1.5mil drift, 1585fps, 977ft/lb energy
    1000 yards: 12.4mil drop, 3.1mil drift, 1082fps, 455ft/lb

And compare with Mk262 Mod 1 using a 77gr SMK @ 0.190 G7 from a 20" 5.56 @ 2850fps:

600yd: 4.3mil drop, 1.8mil drift, 1575fps, 424ft/lb

Sure, the average engagement is probably much shorter than 600yds...and the 264 USA (hilariously based on an extended Soviet 7.62x39 case) lags the 7.62x51's energy by 15% @ 600 yards...but the weapon system could be much lighter and shorter, with ammo lighter and easier to carry, with noticeably less recoil. Use the Berger 130gr Tactical Hybrid in place of the 123gr SMK and even with less velocity the energy delta narrows at 600 and flips at 1000.

Which is to say, a new weapon system capable of using such a chambering would be a better mousetrap in likely every regard (imagine a 24" M2010 ESR with a 142 SMK or 140gr Berger Hybrid around 2700fps, also able to take standard issue ammo) and therefore likely would never happen.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    While these discussions on what cartridge the military should use are interesting, the bottom line is that one cartridge that meets all needs well simply doesn't exist because many of those needs are conflicting. A cartridge large and powerful enough to perform well at long range is going to incur a penalty in increased weight(of both rifle and ammo), reduced ammo load, and increased recoil that reduces it's effectiveness at short range where most combat occurs. IMO, it is a bass ackwards strategy to attempt to equip every soldier to handle less common long range combat situations(that is what DMRs, artillery, and air power are for) to the detriment of the more common short range combat. Trade offs need to be made to balance these conflicting needs instead of jumping from one extreme to the other based on different situations. To that end, a relatively small cased cartridge of some caliber from .243 to .277 with a middle weight (for caliber) bullet would probably do that best.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    That's what is in discussion here.

-Nate

Not exactly. If the here you are referring to is INGO much of the discussion seems to be about .30 cal in a large case(ie 7.62x51) vs. the 5.56. If the here is the military they, or at least most of the example cartridges being referenced are also of the 7.62x51 size. Both INGO and the military seems to be fixated on relatively heavy for caliber bullets.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So....what is a penetrable round for all modern body armor in a realistic platform with equal or better ammo carrying capacities than 5.56? Can't have 50 bmg service rifles for everyone...

I don't know. Modern armor is very impressive.

Top Bottom