• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I was thinking about picking up a rifle chambered for 7.62x39. But a salesman was telling me the steel-cased stuff might dry up thanks to Obummer's import bans. He says the stuff on shelves now is just what is left from previous shipments before the ban. Is this true? The brass-cased stuff is pretty pricey. And if this were the case, I would expect that the stuff available to buy now would have substantially higher prices from gouging.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    The import restrictions which impact several Russian companies have little to nothing to do with the supply of 7.62x39 ammo. Whole lot comes from countries other than Russia, e.g. Romania, Ukraine, Czech Republic, etc.

Remember, Wolf is an importer, not a Russian Manufacturer. Having said that. It would be conceivable for BHO to try and restrict the importation of all 7.62x39 ammo as "non-sporting".

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    I was thinking about picking up a rifle chambered for 7.62x39. But a salesman was telling me the steel-cased stuff might dry up thanks to Obummer's import bans. He says the stuff on shelves now is just what is left from previous shipments before the ban. Is this true? The brass-cased stuff is pretty pricey. And if this were the case, I would expect that the stuff available to buy now would have substantially higher prices from gouging.

The only steel cased ammunition affected by a recent import ban was 7n6 5.45x39 because of a "steel core". Some idiot built a pistol around an ak receiver chambered an 5.45 and showed off the "armor piercing" ability of 7n6. The total jacket and core weight exceed the allowable percentage for a pistol round.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I hope he didn't encourage your to buy what he had on the shelves at a jacked up price.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I hope he didn't encourage your to buy what he had on the shelves at a jacked up price.

Nope. I went down to Kentucky Gun Company Saturday. And I stopped off at Cabela's in Louisville on the way back up. I was looking at a Sig R556xi they had there. Great place to look at a gun but way too pricey to buy there.

I thought his story sounded a little fishy. But I thought I'd better ask just to be safe. I'd hate to buy a gun that I can't find ammo for. I already have enough trouble with the .22's.

Last edited:

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    Buy with confidence! If such a ban were to take place, the prices of rifles and ammo would skyrocket, and you could get out of the caliber with some nice change in your pocket! :):

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    The only steel cased ammunition affected by a recent import ban was 7n6 5.45x39 because of a "steel core". Some idiot built a pistol around an ak receiver chambered an 5.45 and showed off the "armor piercing" ability of 7n6. The total jacket and core weight exceed the allowable percentage for a pistol round.

Actually because of laws, the AK74 pistols, that were built on rifle parts kits etc, fall outside of their grasp for whatever reason. The official reason why they banned it, and was given in the legal write up, is some off the wall factory 5.45x39 pistol that only 1 has ever been imported to the U.S. I don't know the name of it. But I read the ATFs "findings" and it literally made me "lol"

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    The import restrictions which impact several Russian companies have little to nothing to do with the supply of 7.62x39 ammo. Whole lot comes from countries other than Russia, e.g. Romania, Ukraine, Czech Republic, etc.

Remember, Wolf is an importer, not a Russian Manufacturer. Having said that. It would be conceivable for BHO to try and restrict the importation of all 7.62x39 ammo as "non-sporting".

Correct me if I am wrong, but it is my understanding that no ammunition can be imported from Ukraine due to the ongoing conflict/sanctions. I agree that there are other sources for steel cased 7.62x39, but I want to make sure everyone is getting the full story. All of the Wolf black box ammo that said "Made in Ukraine" is gone from the market...and Wolf is switching over to other countries and non-sanctioned Russian companies as circumstances allow.

wassup61

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2015
    nwi
    Actually because of laws, the AK74 pistols, that were built on rifle parts kits etc, fall outside of their grasp for whatever reason. The official reason why they banned it, and was given in the legal write up, is some off the wall factory 5.45x39 pistol that only 1 has ever been imported to the U.S. I don't know the name of it. But I read the ATFs "findings" and it literally made me "lol"

someone tried to import an onyx 89s (pistol receiver) or tried to build one on form 6. Ak74 receiver and pistol were no bueno.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Yep. That's exactly what I was thinking. Personally it all seems a bit fishy.. And it's like the ATF had someone import it just so they could ban what they have been wanting to ban.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I love my VZ2008, walmart and rural king always have tula 7.62x39. Of course, who knows what is gonna be the next form of gun control, and what ammo or gun that will effect.

556401cfa14d027e7b003a55534eb0ec_0.jpg

Top Bottom