• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    Looking at maybe getting a rifle to shoot 7.62x39 rounds. Obviously looking for something that can chew up anything your throw at it, especially the steel cased rounds. I know AK's traditionally are the ones that come to mind for this. But are there any non-AK's out there that are just as rugged, dependable and reliable even with steel cased rounds? Specifically, I have looked at the Rock River LAR-47 and Sig 556xi. Or is this best left to a good AK like an Arsenal SAM-7R? Or perhaps there is something else out there?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    SKS- in many different variants.
    I have a Norinco. Chinese made.
    Very dependable and reasonably accurate if you get a decent one.
    Made for steel cased ammo.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    May I ask why you don't want an AK styled platform? It's going to be the most versatile in terms of ammo choice than nearly all other 7.62x39 caliber rifles.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    May I ask why you don't want an AK styled platform? It's going to be the most versatile in terms of ammo choice than nearly all other 7.62x39 caliber rifles.

I'm not dead set against an AK. I know they are reliable and rugged as you could hope for. But they just don't have the fit and finish you typically get with an AR. So I was hoping to find a reliable compromise. But perhaps an AK really is the best (and only) choice for shoot steel-cased round in 7.62x39.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    CMMG MK47 is an AR that takes AK mags. Its pretty new though, I keep looking for good reviews on it

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I have nothing but good things to say about the Sig 556R. I love mine. There are a couple in the classifieds now.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I'll follow to see that the OP intended use and basis for comparison are. Rounds original design, original rifles to fire that design, adapted rifles to fire that design? Which is best for your intended use? Plinking(ammo burner), varmints, hunting, long range accuracy, defense/assault or just plain expensive fun.

wsenefeld

Master
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Boone Co.
    PSA is coming out with an American AK sometime around the end of May.

[video=youtube;dex9ejzLS2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&persist_app=1&v=dex9ejzLS2Y[/video]

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    What do you want to spend and what do you want to do with it?

Mainly something to do a lot of plinking with. But I also prefer something that is capable of filling other roles if need be. As far as range, I'm only looking for something good up unto 100 yards. I think there are better rounds out there for longer ranges. As for price, that is somewhat flexible. That's why I would lean toward an Arsenal if I went for an AK. There is truth in the old saying "you get what you pay for"

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You can pay a lot for capability you won't ever use at 100 yards and in. Aesthetics aside I don't think you'll see a huge difference between a $500 AK and the others. It'll boil down to preferred aesthetics and ergonomics.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I've seen quite a bit of ammo sensitivity in Mini-30s, and the early ones have .308 diameter barrels. I believe they've corrected that to .310 now, however.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a SKS and love it for cheap plinking. It was my go to plinker until I go ta 357 lever action that I can reload for. SKS has sat in the safe for a while now. SKS can be had for 300 and will eat anything. Looks good too. Mine in chinese one.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I'll put my vote AGAINST the mini 30. The magazine catch requires you to thread a little bar into a hole on the front of the magazine and then rock the mag in. It is tricky in a calm moment, and incredibly difficult under stress. Additionally, if you miss the little notch, the mag will still click in, and you don't know that it is incorrectly set until it malfunctions after your next round.

The one I spent a lot of time on was also very finicky on ammo.

It's a shame because I really like the open top Garand style action, but I wouldn't buy a Mini 30.

TheJuggernaut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    I love Ruger firearms, especially their .22's. I actually considered the Mini 30. But when I called Ruger and talked to them about it, they flat out told me not to use steel-cased rounds in it. They admitted that there are some Mini's (14 or 30) that shoot it just fine. But they said there are just as many that won't. I just find it odd and disappointing that the Mini 30 is chambered for a round that is primarily steel-cased but only recommended to shoot brass-cased rounds. For the cost of the brass cased 7.62x39 rounds, you may as well go for the new Mini .300 Blackout.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom