• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That which is for sale on GB is almost assuredly not the real deal - if it's made in that caliber at all.

I can't see the real deal being legal

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Unless federal regulation prohibits it, it would be legal in IN. I believe .50bmg raufoss is legal, but VERY expensive.

But also, as the post above stated, I doubt its the real deal. Do you have a link? I didn't even know they made raufoss in 7.62.

car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    I didn't know they did either. The interesting thing is that some of them are plain tipped bullets. I asked one seller why the tips aren't painted and he said they had been polished so I am skeptical of his posting. If you search raufoss on GB it will bring up about a dozen auctions and at least 3 are for 30 caliber (.308 diameter).

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    True Raufoss ammo contains high explosive. That would make it a Destructive Device and subject to the Federal regulations and a $200 stamp for each round.

After some Googling, it seems that the only real ones are in .50 BMG.

Maybe the GB seller needs reported to GB for selling nonexistent ammo... or ammo that is not as advertised. Or for selling DD not in the proper area of GB...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    True Raufoss ammo contains high explosive. That would make it a Destructive Device and subject to the Federal regulations and a $200 stamp for each round.

Actually, no...
    ATF Online - Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War - National Firearms Act Definitions - Destructive Device

After some Googling, it seems that the only real ones are in .50 BMG.

Maybe the GB seller needs reported to GB for selling nonexistent ammo... or ammo that is not as advertised. Or for selling DD not in the proper area of GB...

maybe IndyGuy needs to do some research before making threats to someone he has no dealings with?

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    I had seen the same on GB and wondered. On a similar note, I was speaking with a former Arms dealer one time and received an education on telling the difference in the SHAPE of a Raufoss round for .50bmg. Those are often forged as well. Unless you know what to look for, any one can paint the tips two colors.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Slow Hand - how again are the Raufoss .50 BMG rounds not considered to be DDs?

Do they have less than a quarter ounce (109gr) of the HE? I read the wiki page for the MK 211 and I cannot determine the weight of the HE.

Pegasys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    North Central
    Can anyone tell me if it is legal to purchase or own 7.62x51 Raufoss ammo? I see some for sale on GB but am leary.

yes the 5.56 NATO and 7.62 NATO are legal in most states . for example possesion of and shipping to DC, CA, FL or HI california , cook county-lake county illinois is banned , shipping to AK & HI , iillegal because they cannot be shipped outside the lower 48 proper , but possesion IN AK as well as HI is legal .

Pegasys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    North Central
    Slow Hand - how again are the Raufoss .50 BMG rounds not considered to be DDs?

Do they have less than a quarter ounce (109gr) of the HE? I read the wiki page for the MK 211 and I cannot determine the weight of the HE.

i cannot tell you the exact amount of HEI in the 5.56 and 7.62 NATO , but i assure you they are completely legal in most states .

Pegasys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    North Central
    I had seen the same on GB and wondered. On a similar note, I was speaking with a former Arms dealer one time and received an education on telling the difference in the SHAPE of a Raufoss round for .50bmg. Those are often forged as well. Unless you know what to look for, any one can paint the tips two colors.

you are correct that there are many forgeries and fakes , but i can assure you i can tell if they are genuine or not by sight .

you are also correct that the color of the tip varies acording to type , in the past years it has varied somewhat , but beginning in 2012 the colors were standardised . in 2014 current production they are now and will be These colors : a sea foam green for the Raufoss H.E.I. and a royal blue over red for incendiary trace , and a standard Raufoss blue for the lighter grade raufoss incendiary .

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    The last real .50 BMG Raufoss round I saw was listed at $49.00. But i saw a fake one at another location for $75, colors were correct, shape was wrong.

Last edited:

Pegasys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    North Central
    ya ... that would be a fake at 75 per round ... i dont know where you saw the 49$ figure ... but .... i wouldnt buy at that price ....

Pegasys

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    North Central
    The last real .50 BMG Raufoss round I saw was listed at $49.00. But i saw a fake one at another location for $75, colors were correct, shape was wrong.

what i can tell you is this ... SMA: About Us ... for reasons i cant discuss you will find no mention of the Raufoss .50 BMG ...
    oddly enough tho i know where there are about 50 or so plus right now ... and that would be about a 20 minute drive ...

Top Bottom