• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    Anyone selling any reloads of 7.62x54r? I am looking to get some non-corrosive stuff and dont want to pay $1.50 a round. I don't want large quantities at a time just 20-50 rounds to sight me in and stock up on better ammo. Love the Russian and Bulgarian stuff but it destroys anything it touches....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I understand your want to have some non-corrosive ammo...

But it really isn't all that difficult to clean a M/N after firing the corrosive surplus stuff.

Might just be worth the extra work?

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't think I have seen a 7.62x54R brass case once in my life! LOL.

It's Russian com bloc crap.. feed it the com block crap and clean it right. If the 100 dollar gun is no go, just get another one.

superman63086

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Franklin, IN
    I understand the theory, however, my defense is that in the likely event of civil war or invasion I would like to have as little maintenance required in order for my firearm to function correctly. In the heat of things we may not have time to clean it. Given, im sure we can shoot a while without significant deterioration but your shots will stray sooner than the gun falls apart.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I understand the theory, however, my defense is that in the likely event of civil war or invasion I would like to have as little maintenance required in order for my firearm to function correctly. In the heat of things we may not have time to clean it. Given, im sure we can shoot a while without significant deterioration but your shots will stray sooner than the gun falls apart.

If that happens, I think we all have more to worry about than corrosive or non-corrosive ammo in a 100+ year old rifle.

If it gets that bad, dunk the thing in a creek / pool, dry it by the fire, lube it with some motor oil.

Note - not dogging you on your quest for non-corrosive. I just think you may be over-thinking a bit.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Selling reloads, at least me selling you my reloads isn't legal.

You can buy commercial loads however, Hotshot, Century's brand makes them as do a number of other brands.

Lee makes the dies and I bet you can even find the brass at Graff since it isn't a commonly reloaded round.
    Casting the bullets for this one is easy too, all you need do is gas check them that will save you the trouble of finding bullets.
    Now the primers are a different story, those will be harder to come by but they are out there too, just keep looking.

It's a rather easy round to load and there is a lot of data for it to include most reloading books, even Lee has a couple of pages of data for the round and they sell molds for the bullet.

Face it, that M/N you are worried about ruining in a conflict was carried by a soldier who fired the same ammo you don't want to shoot and was never cleaned likely for years during the siege of Leningrad.
    It is still in good shape despite this so it will be fine shooting the ammo if you run a swab through it now and then, even a little motor oil will do the trick.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

It's Russian com bloc crap.. feed it the com block crap and clean it right. If the 100 dollar gun is no go, just get another one.

FWIW, 1955 Bulgarian heavy ball (yellow tip) used brass cases.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County

Hotshot and Winchester both make this ammo in brass, reloadable cases, not sure if Winchester still does now with the "Panic" but if you can find the Hotshot stuff they will all be nice brass reloadable cases. Graff & Sons sells, at least used to sell, empty cases to reloaders for this round as well. I think I have a few thousand virgin cases in the back room I never touched along with the dies and such. Never saw the need to reload for it but I do want to eventually. Just to see how well I can do with this M/N I have, I think it should hit pretty accurately out there to 600 yards.... :)

Top Bottom