• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    i have a 4.5" angle grinder that i want to put a 7" cut off wheel on to chop a bolt off. the 4.5" wheel is not big enough and wont reach the depth i need. can i safely use the larger wheel on it? they are both type 27. i tried google but could not find an answer. i tried a reciprocating saw and the grade 10.9 bolt chews up the blade pretty quick.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    Have you considered putting the cut off wheel on a circ saw? I wouldn't recommend trying to use the 7" wheel with an angle grinder.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    check the rpm your grinder turns and the rpm the wheel is rated to turn. Even it they are compatible it will be very dangerous because you won't have a guard.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    my grinder is 11k rpm and the wheel is 8.6k rpm. im running out of options and i dont want to drop $150 on a 7" grinder.

brichindy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    SW Indiana
    OP from personal experience the setup would work; however, two very important points to note:

1) It is extremely dangerous
    2) I eventually burned up my grinder (cutting some retaining wall blocks)

Edit: if you're extremely careful and don't let the disc bog down the grinder then the tool should be OK if it's just for one bolt. I wouldn't recommend prolonged use on such a setup. I've learned the hard way, that to cheap out now means I would pay more later.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    OP from personal experience the setup would work; however, two very important points to note:

1) It is extremely dangerous
    2) I eventually burned up my grinder (cutting some retaining wall blocks)

Edit: if you're extremely careful and don't let the disc bog down the grinder then the tool should be OK if it's just for one bolt. I wouldn't recommend prolonged use on such a setup. I've learned the hard way, that to cheap out now means I would pay more later.

i actually need it for two bolts, so no heavy work they are lower control arm bolts for my car. there is no unbolting them the only option is to cut them off. originally i planned to just layer up on work gloves, a few sweaters, jeans, and wear a face mask and just chop them off.

Bet for less than a case of beer you could find a buddy with a 7" grinder to help out. :D

no buddies with tools, im the tool guy of the bunch.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    sounds like an excuse to buy a new tool to me.:rockwoot:

Seriously tho, if you've ever been right next to a wheel that blew up because it was used improperly, you might be hesitant to repeat the experience. At least w/o a full faceguard and lots of thick clothing.;)

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Uh? Go to hardware store and buy correct size bolt? Problem solved for $20 or less?

:n00b: i need to get the old arm out by cutting the bolts off. i can not unbolt it because the nut and bolts are crimped so the socket will just slip.

sounds like an excuse to buy a new tool to me.:rockwoot:

Seriously tho, if you've ever been right next to a wheel that blew up because it was used improperly, you might be hesitant to repeat the experience. At least w/o a full faceguard and lots of thick clothing.;)

not this time, i already bought 4.5" grinder, breaker bars, puller, and tons of parts

black label

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Hobart
    It can be done. But be very careful! The last time a wheel blew up on me, my buddy had to pull a 1"piece of wheel out of my stomach, with pliers. So have a pair of pliers handy!

Ever think about a nut splitter? Also I see you live in NWI, I have a 7" air grinder you could borrow.

Top Bottom