• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    European agriculture is far worse.

This is the world economic issue right now. Ag subsidies are the new tariffs.

Solitaire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Indy
    Much ado about nothing. Congress will pass the farm bill, and prices will stay where they are.

I'm thinking about buying stock in small paper bags, as much hyperventilating as I see going on around here.

:):

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Much ado about nothing. Congress will pass the farm bill, and prices will stay where they are.

I'm thinking about buying stock in small paper bags, as much hyperventilating as I see going on around here.

:):

I dont care about the price of milk. What I care about is the rediculous government interference.

Im not a catastrophist, but i also dont think things will go on forever like they are now.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    The milk I prefer is already $8, and no it's not organic or soy. Just from a smaller dairy. I would rather prices be a at reasonable level where the farming would be sustainable without government intervention. It would also be better for farmers, cows, and consumers in the end, just not those who expect it to be free.

If you live in Indy, there's a really nice dairy on the northwest side of town called Traders Point Creamery. They have real milk, you should really go meet your food one day.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Sadly, this is not an example of the free market being unleashed. It's a prime example of the cowardice of republicrats and their dem brethren. While I am quite fine with no farm bill being passed, by their refusal to pass one a draconian FDR inspired bill kicks in and screws everything up. The cowardice is the fact that these cretins have had decades to repeal the legislation that will trigger the government inspired price rises. We, and ultimately the farmers, will be made to pay for their incompetence. If the government parasites would get themselves out of the market and repeal their anti-free market legislation, then things would normalise and everybody would be better off.

hondatech2k2

Shooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Jul 10, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm sure it is. But I pay that whether I buy milk or not. If the free market were allowed to work, those who use milk would be made to pay the cost of producing it.

I don't drink a gallon of milk in a year. I rarely eat cereal. A gallon of milk usually goes bad in my house before its gone. Even a gallon a day at an increased cost of $4 per gallon is under $30 a week. Water is free.

Do you drink your water out of a river? If not then no.....water is not free. You pay a monthly water bill, or if you have a well you pay maintenance cost.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Lactose intolerant :)

SPLC will likely publicize your admitted lack of tolerance.

Further up thread Trader's Point was mentioned. They do have good milk...still pasteurized (not the "pet milk"), but not homogenized.

If you wish to buy pet milk, similar product can be had for FAR less. I believe they were getting $5 a quart when last I was there.

TP Creamery also has incredible yogurts, and amazing chocolate ice cream...definitely worth a visit, especially in the summer during the farm market Saturdays (if they still do those).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Do you drink your water out of a river? If not then no.....water is not free. You pay a monthly water bill, or if you have a well you pay maintenance cost.

I don't pay anywhere near $7 a day to water my lawn for half an hour. I pay a little over $7 a day for 2 iPhone plans and satellite tv. If milk were that much of a necessity in a tight budget, it's time to give up the tv, phones, or both.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I'm sure it is. But I pay that whether I buy milk or not. If the free market were allowed to work, those who use milk would be made to pay the cost of producing it.

If we were paying the true cost, milk would be lower priced. Government is price supporting milk. The impending price increase is due to a ridiculous government fallback that would make taxpayers bid UP the price.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Weren't they predicting the same thing for beef and pork prices for the end of 2012 during the summer?
    It is a cascading affect due to the lack of feed for this winter. A shortage caused by the drought and the Govt mandating that a percentage of corn be used for ethanol.

So now you have a shortage of feed corn and a mandate that steers feed used for our food animals to be used as a fuel.

There are already plenty of dairy farms for sale right now, if the propping up by the Govt with subsidies backfires and causes prices to double that will put even more under and that is a good thing. Then in a move to survive you can buy your milk local AND cheap.

It is always better to own the land the animals are standing on then the animals.

dlbrown75

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 90.9%
    9   1   1
    May 2, 2011
    Newcastle, IN
    It is a cascading affect due to the lack of feed for this winter. A shortage caused by the drought and the Govt mandating that a percentage of corn be used for ethanol.

So now you have a shortage of feed corn and a mandate that steers feed used for our food animals to be used as a fuel.

There are already plenty of dairy farms for sale right now, if the propping up by the Govt with subsidies backfires and causes prices to double that will put even more under and that is a good thing. Then in a move to survive you can buy your milk local AND cheap.

It is always better to own the land the animals are standing on then the animals.

Dont you mean rent the land from your government?

Top Bottom