• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    At least the reporter wasnt totally against guns but did seem to not know alot about them. Unfortunate, yes. About the boy also. Sad in general.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Right up the road from me....very sad. How does a gun fire itself? I have read every news story and saw it on several local tv news shows.....Something missing from the story...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The world may not end on 12-21-2012 but for this father is already has.
    I can't image the pain he is going thru right now.
    =(

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Absolutely heart breaking. I am not so sure I could live with myself after something like that.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Hopefully the gun was unloaded before going into the gun store, and the accident happened when reloading or stowing. Otherwise there is no hope for this individual having any sort of intelligence. Would the term be criminal negligence?

I don't know what happened in this case, but it could've theoretically discharged after reloading when he closed the glove box. A glove or pen, for instance, could've compressed the trigger as things shifted. Even a Glock trigger could be depressed by an inanimate object. Safeties are still preferred by me. Even a safety can become dislodged by an inanimate object, but the chances of that happening, and the trigger being compressed are exponentially less.

Please consider this. Always storing a loaded gun in a holster, or gun safe, is the ONLY way to safely stow it. This is not something that is included in gun safety training enough IMO. Especially with modern pistols that have no safety, it is imperative that the trigger be covered. Never stow in glove box or drawer unless such area is completely free of debris and it can be easily removed without coon fingering it.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I agree with Netsecurity in where is the holster for the pistol? The poor child in the car seat didn't have a chance with an empty pistol in the glove box of a truck.

wild willy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    And I have been told on INGO that sand barrels don't save lives and that it is enough to be "safe" around the parking lot. Betcha a nice dinner right before he shot his son he said "Eye been around gunz all meye life." Maddening. Just maddening.

Leave your pistol in your holster. Stop playing with it!

Coonfingering guns to acknowledge their existence is just maddening to me and a good way to hurt someone including yourself.

In the gun store, leave your pistol in the holster.

In the bathroom, leave it in the holster.

In the _____________, leave it in the holster.

If you must play with it ensure that you have a proper backstop. Every single time you load it or unload it, expect it to go bang.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Tragic story indeed.

On a similar note, this is one of the problems I have with being handed my firearm back at the completion of a stop without the bullets in it...

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Let's see:

The gun is always loaded.
    Never point the muzzle at anything not replaceable or repairable.
    Keep your finger off the trigger and alongside the frame.
    Be sure of your target.

By my count, the dad violated all four and shot--and killed--his young son.

Of course, I agree fully with Kirk: have it in a holster (that covers the trigger) and leave it there!

Good God, the gun didn't just "go off." :xmad:

Corbinator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 6, 2012
    This is very sad ! Unfortunately it will result in an outcry for more gun control on a national stage I am sure.

I would like to add after more than 20 years in the medical field I have had the unfortunate experience of seeing many young boys and girls meet their untimely end. The situations span from chainsaw accidents to four wheeler wrecks. You haven't heard of anyone wanting to ban four wheelers and chainsaws though !

Just saying !

Top Bottom