• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Ugh. The only bullet type they list for 62 gr. projectiles with either Varget, IMR 4895 or H335 is SFT SCIR, which is a ballistic tip bullet. The Noslers are HPBT. Grrr!! Why would they not list HPBT data? Aren't they and FMJ pretty much the most common projectile types there are??

Here's nosler data that includes all those powders and that exact projo. Clink link, then select bullet weight

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/223-remington/

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You are confusing the 75 AMAX with the 75 BTHP. The 75 BTHP can be loaded to magazine length. The 75 AMAX can never be loaded to magazine length. The bullet is too long.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Those bullets are clearly bad, so one of the guys with .223/5.56 bolt guns will dispose of them properly as a favor to you. ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You are confusing the 75 AMAX with the 75 BTHP. The 75 BTHP can be loaded to magazine length. The 75 AMAX can never be loaded to magazine length. The bullet is too long.
    Yep, I realize that now. Rookie mistake on my part! :)

Better buy that bolt gun if you want to shoot them bullets!!!!! or feed them in and shoot single shot with your ar

I like the way you think (about getting a bolt gun)! :):

Those bullets are clearly bad, so one of the guys with .223/5.56 bolt guns will dispose of them properly as a favor to you. ;)
    I did consider that (actually trading for something else), but It occurs to me that it would be an excellent excuse to get a new bolt gun. :spend:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yep, I realize that now. Rookie mistake on my part! :)

I like the way you think (about getting a bolt gun)! :):

I did consider that (actually trading for something else), but It occurs to me that it would be an excellent excuse to get a new bolt gun. :spend:

Hey, far be it for me to get in the way of whatever it takes to justify a new turnbolt.
    Research exactly what you want well and (of course) be sure to post pics once you have it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hey, far be it for me to get in the way of whatever it takes to justify a new turnbolt.
    Research exactly what you want well and (of course) be sure to post pics once you have it.

I've already been giving it some thought. I don't want to spend a lot, so if I were to buy new I'd probably go with some flavor of Savage or a Ruger American. But given my affinity for wood and steel, I'll probably just keep my eyes open for something used. Louisville show is in 2 weeks, so if I don't find a a milsurp rifle that I can't live without, maybe I'll find a nice used 223 rifle.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Update! Got my bolt gun. I'm not sure that the box mag will handle the A-max or not but at least it's easier to use as a single shot if necessary. Still a happy camper. :D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just loaded up 20 rounds with the A-max and was happy to find that they fit the Savage magazine and cycled just fine when loaded at 2.39" O.A.L.. Now I just have to get to the range and try them out. From what I can tell, the Axis/Edge has a 1:9 twist rate, so I hope that's enough to stabilize the 75 grain bullet. It may be pushing it a little bit.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    1:9 is pretty marginal for the 75gr Amax due to length; the 75gr HPBT is shorter and therefore stabilizes just fine.

That said, I had a 1:9 Savage that shot the 75gr Amax into a 10 shot, 1.5" group at 200 yards.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    1:9 is pretty marginal for the 75gr Amax due to length; the 75gr HPBT is shorter and therefore stabilizes just fine.

That said, I had a 1:9 Savage that shot the 75gr Amax into a 10 shot, 1.5" group at 200 yards.

I would be more than happy if I can get those results! In the Hornady manual, it states that the Amax was made for the faster 1:7 twist found in AR-15's, but then says they have to be loaded single shot. Seems odd to design a bullet for a rifle that really isn't ideal for it. The Amax data is even listed under "service rifles" in their manual. Anyhoo... I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed that they'll work "good enough", and don't keyhole or anything.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The 75/80 Amax and their newer ELD-M versions are VLD-type bullets designed for fast twist rifles with longer than 223 SAAMI freebore (and longer than AR15 magazine legnth).

The 75gr Amax pairs very nicely with a Ruger American Rifle in 223 since it has a 1:8 twist, which I wish Howa, Savage, Tikka, Remington and Mossberg would use for their bolt actions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The 75/80 Amax and their newer ELD-M versions are VLD-type bullets designed for fast twist rifles with longer than 223 SAAMI freebore (and longer than AR15 magazine legnth).

The 75gr Amax pairs very nicely with a Ruger American Rifle in 223 since it has a 1:8 twist, which I wish Howa, Savage, Tikka, Remington and Mossberg would use for their bolt actions.

That would be nice. But I've already bought one new rifle for these bullets, and I'm not getting another one! :):

Top Bottom