• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    Elderly Veteran Michael Stephen Bowden Arrested for Threatening to Kill Barack Obama

Disgusting. Just one more way to "forbid" a citizen to own a firearm. The man should be allowed to exercise his 1st Amendment rights. If ANY action is warranted, I say get him help for his suicidal thoughts.

Ah.... come on now. You cannot go around and threaten the President of the United States.:n00b: No matter WHO he is. I don't like Obama at all OR his policies, but would NEVER contemplate doing him harm! The fact that he owned firearms IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC'S mind makes ALL of us look bad.

In the mid '80's I owned a small print shop in downtown Indy. I had a guy come in several times claiming he was "THE COSMIC EMPEROR KING OF PLANET EARTH". He even had a "manifesto". He was a lunatic!!!! He threatened President Reagan on some papers he was copying. I called the Treasury Department (secret service) and reported him. They told me they knew about him, and finally arrested him on his way to the 1984 Olympics WITH all the printed matter.

Threatening the President of the United States cannot and should not be tolerated by ANYONE.:twocents:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    Ah.... come on now. You cannot go around and threaten the President of the United States.:n00b: No matter WHO he is. I don't like Obama at all OR his policies, but would NEVER contemplate doing him harm! The fact that he owned firearms IN THE GENERAL PUBLIC'S mind makes ALL of us look bad.

In the mid '80's I owned a small print shop in downtown Indy. I had a guy come in several times claiming he was "THE COSMIC EMPEROR KING OF PLANET EARTH". He even had a "maifesto". He was a lunatic!!!! He threatened President Reagan on some papers he was copying. I called the Treasury Department (secret service) and reported him. They told me they knew about him, and finally arrested him on his way to the 1984 Olympics WITH all the printed matter.

Threatening the President of the United States cannot and should not be tolerated by ANYONE.:twocents:

This!!!

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    I agree with firehawk. In fact, I would say it doesn't matter if he's threatening to kill the crack whore down the street, it is still a crime to threaten someone like that.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, but an old guy that is ill... you may have to use some common sense. I know that is pretty uncommon these days and highly discouraged by the authorities.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Yeah, but an old guy that is ill... you may have to use some common sense. I know that is pretty uncommon these days and highly discouraged by the authorities.

Yeah I don't think imprisoning him is necessarily the best option. But him threatening to shoot someone is definitely a good enough reason to take his guns away.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

In the mid '80's I owned a small print shop in downtown Indy. I had a guy come in several times claiming he was "THE COSMIC EMPEROR KING OF PLANET EARTH". He even had a "maifesto". He was a lunatic!!!! He threatened President Reagan on some papers he was copying. I called the Treasury Department (secret service) and reported him. They told me they knew about him, and finally arrested him on his way to the 1984 Olympics WITH all the printed matter.

+1 and repped.

He didn't threaten Barack Huessein Obamagonnaneedajob. He threatened the President of the United States. One is a worthless lying PO poop:. The other is the highest elected office in our country. Regardless of whether you like or respect the man, the office should be respected.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So who is the injured party? You know the Corpus delicti

The people of the United States of America. You can punch him in the mouth during a pickup basketball game, but you can't threaten our President, even when we don't like him. It's a law.

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington

The difference is that in your example, the crazy old man was merely watched until he became a threat to others. In other words, his 1st amendment rights were respected. In this case, we have a man who is arrested because of what he said, not because he was an imminent threat. Per the article, he is 78, has had two bypass surgeries, and has seven stints. I would doubt his ability to walk to the mailbox, let alone travel to Washington or elsewhere and make good his threat. What I do see is a 78 year old man who no longer has the means to effectively defend himself and his family because of words.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    The difference is that in your example, the crazy old man was merely watched until he became a threat to others. In other words, his 1st amendment rights were respected. In this case, we have a man who is arrested because of what he said, not because he was an imminent threat. Per the article, he is 78, has had two bypass surgeries, and has seven stints. I would doubt his ability to walk to the mailbox, let alone travel to Washington or elsewhere and make good his threat. What I do see is a 78 year old man who no longer has the means to effectively defend himself and his family because of words.

This is the point I was trying to make. +1

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    While you may have the RIGHT to say anything you want, you also have the responsibility to accept the consequences of THOSE words. If the poor man is demented enough to threathen the President of the United States you have to ask yourself, is he competent enough to even own firearms? For instance, if he had called the President the "N" word, I would be in total agrement with you. There is NO protection in the Bill of Rights against being offended. THAT is why this hate crime crap is so bad IMO. But you cannot threaten to kill anyone, especially the President!

Who's to say "The Cosmic Emperor King of Planet Earth" was an imminent threat to President Reagan? He didn't like him and said so and was preparing to hand out leaflets stating HIS beliefs. How is that any different than this 78 year old man? Both men simply stated THEIR opinions. You just can't threaten the life of the President. Or anyone else for that matter.

People want to scream RIGHTS RIGHTS RIGHTS.... but some do NOT think about the RESPONSIBILITIES that goes along with those RIGHTS!

Again, just my:twocents:

Last edited:

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I'm really not sure why there is even a debate on this topic. It is very simple. You cannot threaten the life of the President of the United States. Now, because of this man's age and health conditions, I hope they show him leniency.

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    WASHINGTON — An 88-year-old gunman with a virulently anti-Semitic past fatally shot a security guard inside the crowded U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum on Wednesday before being shot himself by other officers, authorities said.

our senior citizens are quite able to "voice" their opinions, sometimes very tragically.

Top Bottom