• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    7th Circuit rules on Illinois municipalities' ban on handguns

In NRA v. City of Chicago (ND Ill.), Chief Judge Easterbrook writes an interesting, 9-page opinion that begins:
    Two municipalities in Illinois ban the possession of most handguns. After the Supreme Court held in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 (2008), that the second amendment entitles people to keep handguns at home for self-protection, several suits were filed against Chicago and Oak Park. All were dismissed on the ground that Heller dealt with a law enacted under the authority of the national government, while Chicago and Oak Park are subordinate bodies of a state. The Supreme Court has rebuffed requests to apply the second amendment to the states. See United States v. Cruikshank, 92 U.S. 542 (1876); Presser v. Illinois, 116 U.S. 252 (1886); Miller v. Texas, 153 U.S. 535 (1894). The district judge thought that only the Supreme Court may change course. 2008 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 98134 (N.D. Ill. Dec. 4, 2008). * * *

Another court of appeals has concluded that Cruikshank, Presser, and Miller still control even though their reasoning is obsolete. Maloney v. Cuomo, 554 F.3d 56 (2d Cir. 2009). We agree with Maloney, which followed our own decision in Quilici v. Morton Grove, 695 F.2d 261 (7th Cir. 1982). * * *

Affirmed.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I would expect more from Easterbrook, who fancies himself a rigorous thinker and who does not like to be overturned. His reliance on that particular sleight of hand in the opening paragraphs is disingenuous.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what is the next step? The full 7th circuit court? Or does it go before the supreme court? Anyone know the timeline for this? The sooner it gets to the supreme court the better.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    In other words, the 7th Circuit is saying that the US Constitution (or at least the Second Amendment) doesn't apply to municipalities and states. Oh, really?

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    In other words, the 7th Circuit is saying that the US Constitution (or at least the Second Amendment) doesn't apply to municipalities and states. Oh, really?

Technically & unfortunately, right now it doesn't. Hopefully it will after this case or any like it reaches the SCOTUS.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    Easterbrook is no different than your local trial judge. He still has to buy his gas and shop and eat in his town. Politics makes strange bedfellows and to say an appointment insulates him from that pressure just doesn't hold water. Who wants to be the bad guy in their own bakcyard? He will defer to SCOTUS and hope a new makeup of the Court will support his logic and he will brag about being right all along. If SCOTUS punts his decision back he will be able to stand on his soapbox and talk about State's rights.
    Point being : he had more to gain by upholding bans than he did by being maverick and following Constitution.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Yesterday, I was driving through downtown Chicago, unarmed, because it's their law. Even if it is stupid. I am listening to the radio and they are talking about this. One guy gets on their and says he thinks law abiding citizens should have the right to have firearms. Then a woman comes on next and says that she and a friend were mugged a month ago and though thankfully nothing happened she doesn't think anyone should have the tools to take someone's life.

WTF? Then it occurred to me, the anti-gun people want all guns banned. They don't want anyone to have any kind of gun. And, if you are to ask them, what if some scumbags roll up in my house with some baseball bats and knives and start beating me and my family and stealing some swag, shouldn't I have a gun? Nope. You can be paralyzed for life as long as everyone lives, that's fair according to them. This **** is getting moronic.

Top Bottom