• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • South Bender

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    South Bend
    I'm an old guy who appreciates things like mechanical watches rather than quartz,
    That's makes for an interesting analogy, seeing how quartz watches are usually cheaper, more reliable, and more accurate. But there's just something about the look and feel of the mechanical movement and watch. There's a reason it doesn't go away, just like the 1911. A Glock might be superior in a lot of ways, but there's just something about a 1911.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A steel 1911 will always make a better dent in some miscreant's head than a Glock when it needs to be used in a non lethal situation. Wyatt Earp clubbed more people with his gun than he ever shot.:)

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    JMB was a genius and the most brilliant man in history in my opinion. So many proven designs that still are in use today in combat. That says something. He was more a fan of the hi-power than the 1911 though and I imagine if he could have been immortal he would have designed a version of the glock himself. Or he would make it better.

Unfortunately he didn't live to see the Hi-Power to complete fruition. Browning died in 1926 with the design still in development. Dieudonné Saive, his design assistant at F.N., completed a final model in 1934, and it went into production in 1935. I'm wondering what it would have looked like had Browning carried it to completion. I agree that Browning was a mechanical firearm genius. His contribution to 20th and 21st Century firearms cannot be understated.

John

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    The grip angel on the Hi-Power is wrong and it has a magazine disconnect, add to that the weird trigger to firing pin setup. How could Browning do such a slop job?

dtthomps

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2017
    Fishers
    The fanboys from both sides of the argument will sit there and argue over the same arguments till they are blue in the face...buy both so you don't have to argue.... Im pretty sure this is satire, specifically to throw fuel on the fire (knowing well people will get mad)

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    The grip angel on the Hi-Power is wrong and it has a magazine disconnect, add to that the weird trigger to firing pin setup. How could Browning do such a slop job?

That wasn't Browning's design. The magazine disconnect was added after his death by F.N. as a requirement from either the Belgians or the French in their mil specs - I don't recall which. It's very easily removed. The grip design with the curve on the back was also after his death. The P35 underwent continued development and modifications for 8 years after he died.

John

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Good! So we can put to rest this nonsense of grip angle from one pistol to another. The weird trigger to firing pin setup on the Hi-Power was because of patents that went to Colt, as I understand it. The magazine disconnect is what it is.

No intent to throw fuel on the fire, well sort of, but what I wrote is true. 1911's with all the changes made over 100+ years have die hard fans, same is true with the Glock fans. dtthumps , and others like him, may call this satire when they should be honest instead.

Not one pistol is the be all to end all, period.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Good! So we can put to rest this nonsense of grip angle from one pistol to another. The weird trigger to firing pin setup on the Hi-Power was because of patents that went to Colt, as I understand it. The magazine disconnect is what it is.

No intent to throw fuel on the fire, well sort of, but what I wrote is true. 1911's with all the changes made over 100+ years have die hard fans, same is true with the Glock fans. dtthumps , and others like him, may call this satire when they should be honest instead.

Not one pistol is the be all to end all, period.

Some additional information:
    The M1911 patents owned by Colt ran out in 1928, two years after Browning died. It's my understanding F.N. incorporated a few of them into the Hi-Power and some of its predecessor designs as soon as they could use them. I don't know the details of what they used and didn't use. I do know that F.N. was being whipsawed by the French in particular and their specs for a military pistol. IMHO much of the detail design in the Hi-Power resulted from F.N. trying to satisfy the French. The French were flogging not only F.N. but other arms manufacturers to make use of whatever they could that wasn't tied down by intellectual property rights with their own arms industry.

The French arms maker SACM got the French contract in 1935. When WWII started in 1939, the French were desperate for pistols and SACM didn't have the production capacity to make them quickly enough. They placed orders for the P35 (Hi-Power) with F.N. Both Belgium and France were overrun by the Germans before they could deliver any. The design was carried out (or smuggled out) of Belgium by F.N. to Great Britain, which set up production of them in Canada during the war. The Germans took over the F.N. factory works in Belgium and made them for the German military.

John

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'm going give the 1911 the clear advantage on trigger and thus on shooter accuracy (almost anyone shoots a 1911 well compared to how they shoot other guns).

After that, I'm out of "1911 RULEZ" fonboyism.

I wonder if someone was comparing a 9mm 1911 to a G21 how the discussion would go?

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Glocks are arguably excellent handguns, just not for me. I am far more comfortable with a 1911. Besides any gun with a name that rhymes with a male appendage is not for me. Don't need any confusion about what to hold in my hand when the need arises (pun intended).

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are more than 8 reasons why the 1911 is better than a Glock. But, there are also more than 8 reasons why the Glock is better than a 1911. Which reasons are important to you will determine which of the two you tend to carry. Guns are like shoes. There are a million different types and styles and not a one of them will be perfect for everyone. But there is a perfect one for anyone.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Personally, I carry a 1911. I like the form, function, and fit. For me glocks have an awkward grip. My hands are just too small i guess. I understand that when you pull the trigger on a 1911 it goes bang and the thing you point it at gets a big hole in it. I also understand that when you pull the trigger on a glock, it goes bang and the thing you pointed it at get a big hole in it.

At the end of the day, they are both reliable, and accurate. So why must folks spend so much time bickering about which is better.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Life's too short to limit what guns you shoot based on love or hate of the platform. As the saying goes: "Shoot them all and let God sort them out".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Personally, I carry a 1911. I like the form, function, and fit. For me glocks have an awkward grip. My hands are just too small i guess. I understand that when you pull the trigger on a 1911 it goes bang and the thing you point it at gets a big hole in it. I also understand that when you pull the trigger on a glock, it goes bang and the thing you pointed it at get a big hole in it.

At the end of the day, they are both reliable, and accurate. So why must folks spend so much time bickering about which is better.

Well.......because it can be fun.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    scottrodgers87
    Top Bottom