• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I'm in Ohio for work today and had a bit of time to kill before I needed to be where I was going. I found a gun store and decided to browse a bit. It was more of a shotgun/trap place but they did have a few handguns.

I looked down in a case and noticed a double rifle in a very nice red velvet gun case. It said it was a 1927 Purdy the was rechamberd to .375 H&H in 1981. Very nice engraving and gold inlays. Then I noticed the price. $80,000. Wow. I was going to take a picture but they guy working there said no to that.

Nice gun but $80,000........ I'll pass.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    In the world of fine guns of antiquity, $80K is entry level. My collection includes nothing of the sort, but if a man has the depth in his wealth for it, he is welcome to enjoy it. I will certainly help him enjoy such firearms if given a chance.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    We have a local guy who specializes in high end hunting rifles. When I was new in town and not knowing anything about the local gun shops I stopped in to see what's what. The proprietor was busy with someone else, but this very nice lady who had been recently hired as book keeper and was really excited about her new job offered to show me around. At one point she handed me a very fine looking rifle with gorgeous wood and fancy metal work, I think it was Turkish made. Anyway, while she is chatting about it she happens to mention the purchase price was $37,000.:eek: I very carefully handed it back to her and kept my hands in my pockets for the rest of the tour.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Saw a mounted Bald Eagle today in a gun store for sale. Price is $36,000 OBO. I looked at it and thought; "isn't it illegal to have a stuffed Bald Eagle?" Looking at the price, I thought maybe there is some way to legally own one through some kind of expensive permit, hence the high asking price.

When I asked the store employee about it, she indicated that it was not real. It was made from other birds feathers.

I can't imagine anyone would pay even 10% of that asking price...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In the world of fine guns of antiquity, $80K is entry level. My collection includes nothing of the sort, but if a man has the depth in his wealth for it, he is welcome to enjoy it. I will certainly help him enjoy such firearms if given a chance.

You know, I think about this every so often (like when the Powerball jackpot gets crazy) and I still don't know that even with all that money, that I could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a gun, or a quarter million for a car, etc.. Oh, I'd get something nice for sure, but I guess I just have simpler tastes.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    You know, I think about this every so often (like when the Powerball jackpot gets crazy) and I still don't know that even with all that money, that I could bring myself to spend that kind of money on a gun, or a quarter million for a car, etc.. Oh, I'd get something nice for sure, but I guess I just have simpler tastes.

I'm with you on that DD. It's part of the fun of occasionally buying a lottery ticket. You sit around and think how you would spend it. I'm not that interested in $80K guns even if I had the money. Cars, I could spend some money, but they would all be drivers. No garage queens! And I would spend money on travel. I would not have a problem booking first class airfare to go see the world.:)

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I don't know, I might have to find "Henry Bowman's" 4 bore double rifle if I hit a big enough lottery. Maybe a few other English double rifles for African hunting, those pieces of art and history have always interested me. Along with a collection of every kind of US military weapon used since the Revolution. And shoot them all at least once a year.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Years ago a gunsmith friend of mine handed me what I thought was a VERY heavy double barrel shotgun and asked me what I thought. The express sights and ivory front bead gave it away as something unusual and it turned out it was a 10 bore double rifle and I'm thinking it was a Purdy.. Quite a beautiful piece of history.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] /[/FONT][FONT=&quot] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears” Col. Jeff Cooper

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I know a guy who lives in a house with a dirt floor, who has a Purdey that would bring better than $100k on auction. He doesn't mind the dirt and prefers the rifle and I believe he has his priorities will in order.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Depending on the grade, it's entirely possibly to pay upwards of $250K for a Purdy or Holland & Holland.
    Westley Richards' prices are right on their heels, too.
    All three companies are still in business, should you feel like selling your house outright for one of their finest offerings.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Just one example from over at Guns International's site - James Purdey & Sons, Deluxe extra finish, .577, 25?
    The reason for the extreme price on such fine guns is not just because of the superb walnut, fit, and finish, but because they are custom made for the individual and because the process of regulating (getting both barrels to hit point of aim at a specific distance) the barrels is very difficult and time consuming, plus Kynoch brand .577 Nitro Express ammo costs over $100 per shot.

Top Bottom