• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Has anyone on here completed an 80% AR? My understanding is that it is legal to build a firearm without the manufacturing license. It just cannot be sold or transferred. The rifle will have no serial number or any real manufacture.

here is a link to the type of thing I am looking at
    80% AR-15 Lower Receiver

CNCGUNSMITHING - www.cncguns.com - AR15

Is there any way I could send this in to become a sbr. It won't have a serial number or manufacture. Not sure how that would play out with the paperwork.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I doubt you'd get a stamp for a non-serial numbered receiver.

But I love the [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular] 2 tone splash anodizing at the bottom of the link you provided. Imagine the camo patterns one could do.
    [/FONT]

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Its cheaper just to buy one 100% complete. Unless you have access to a machine shop with the needed tap (barrel) and true blueprints. A receiver runs around $100-$150 depending on brand and transfer fees, etc.

foxmustang

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I work with CNC's everyday and thought about doing this in my spare time. It would be easy enough to do. It would just be for the to hell of it. At our shop rate per hour ($80/hr) on a CNC it would be cheaper to buy one as remauto1187 stated. Only if you truly wanted a custom lower or had the money to throw at it would it make it worth while.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    I have completed 2 80%ers. First off, get the one that is already threaded for the receiver extension tube. That 1 3/16"x 16 tpi tap is expensive! I did one on a Hurco 30, and one on a manual Bridgeport. It actually took me longer to write the DXF file and set up the Hurco than it did to set up and run on the Bridgeport. Moral is that it is sometimes better to do it the simple way. MAKE SURE YOU ANODIZE IT. Find an anodizer (I use one out of state that does the anodizing of the aircraft parts I make) and specify HARD COAT ( I got mine MIL-A-8625 Type III, which is thicker and harder than the old type II) your receiver will wear quicker without the anodizing. Also use a forged 7075 T6 blank, NOT a 6061 extrusion.

YES you can make your own SBR BUT... You MUST complete a BATF Form 1, go through all the Class III procedures and pay the tax, WAIT to get the stamp back, and you MUST engrave the SBR with your serial # (you pick it in the case of a form 1'd receiver). Also know that with an AR-15, once the lower receiver is SBR'd, as long as you retain the ORIGINALLY regeistered upper, you can add any OTHER short barelled uppers in whatever caliber you wish BUT you gotta keep the receiver that has it's stats listed on the form 1 i.e. 5.56 Nato 10 inch bbl or whatever you put on the form. You can also "destroy" your SBR by filing a form with ATF that will allow you to make it a regular gun again provided you get rid of the short bbl and put one 16+ inches on.
    The true advantage of building your own receiver is negated in the case of an SBR though, as now UNCLE knows you have it.

Think of this: IF maObama institutes an AWB again, there are 2 possible loop holes:
    Make your own, as the language always applies to BUYING/SELLING AW's, or Form 1 an SBR, as title II stamps negate Ban/Preban configuration concerns.
    AND even IF they make an AWB apply to home built rifles, without the need to fill out a 4473, PROVE I didn't make the receiver BEFORE the ban.:D:D:D:D as far as UNCLE knows I built 75 lowers this week "just in case".....

P.S. YES the Tactical Machining receiver is really nice...

Last edited:

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Yes I realise that I can build an already complete lower much cheaper.
    I'm doing this as a project.

Thanks VTX. This is the type of info. I'm looking for. I think you're right about sending it in to be sbr'd. I'll just use one of the lowers I have now.

vtxrecruiter

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    West Indy
    Yes I realise that I can build an already complete lower much cheaper.
    I'm doing this as a project.

Thanks VTX. This is the type of info. I'm looking for. I think you're right about sending it in to be sbr'd. I'll just use one of the lowers I have now.

If you need help, pm me I still have my blueprints

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can make them, but the NFA rules still apply. If you want to SBR it, you still have to get a tax stamp. I reckon they'll want a serial number for that. Otherwise, a serial number is optional but recommended; it doesn't have to mean anything to anyone but you.

I have some I plan to finish "one of these days", as well as a fixture for the drilling and machining. You don't need CNC or prints or anything, just the depth for the final cut. Once I get the mess cleaned up and the mill moved, I'm on it. I do plan to use a date code for the serial numbers, just so I can tell them apart.

Top Bottom