• ...and so much more!
  • gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Sorry to have asked. I have had this lower for some time and lack the tools and expertise to complete it. Just wanted to build up another AR in a different cal.

You can get together with someone that has the tools and experience and have them walk you through it. You just need to do the actual work yourself.

A request for help on INGO may find you that person.

DC1711

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 9, 2018
    Auburn
    Sounds like a good idea but I have asked all the gun gurus up here and they look at you like you have the plague. I guess I have a piece of aluminum for a paper weight now.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Sounds like a good idea but I have asked all the gun gurus up here and they look at you like you have the plague. I guess I have a piece of aluminum for a paper weight now.

Seriously? All you need is a common router and the finish kit mentioned earlier in this thread. Watch a few videos if needed, then give it a whirl.

AlVine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Owen Co.
    Sorry if this is a derail....but seems 80% lowers are nearly as much or more as finished lowers . Seems this market is just for people that want either highly modified lowers or people that want to avoid imperial entanglements. Am I missing something ?

That, and the satisfaction of having something you worked on yourself and set up with the parts you want. Plus, it’s fun!

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Can you guys settle a light debate?

Let's say, I buy an 80% lower, I fit it with a 16" upper. I do all the work, bc this is my rifle.

Do I need to put a serial number on it?

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Can you guys settle a light debate?

Let's say, I buy an 80% lower, I fit it with a 16" upper. I do all the work, bc this is my rifle.

Do I need to put a serial number on it?
    There is no debate at all, you do not have to serialize your lower if you are not a manufacturer.

You have to do all the milling of the 80% lower yourself, but not all the work, say if you wanted the barrel fitted or needed a flash hider pinned and welded or cerakoted or other things besides the miling.

And you can legally sell them, without a serial number, as long as you are not a manufacturer, or in the business of producing them for sale. This "business" is vaguely defined and the number is not defined by batfe, and I wouldn't want to test to see what that number is, as it could be very low (IMO a few per year?).

Edit: The batfe relies on your intent at time of manufacture to determine if you're "in the business". If you build one with no intent to sell it but then decide to later that is legal. Some may call this a gray area.

Live free.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There is no debate at all, you do not have to serialize your lower if you are not a manufacturer.

You have to do all the milling of the 80% lower yourself, but not all the work, say if you wanted the barrel fitted or needed a flash hider pinned and welded or cerakoted or other things besides the miling.

And you can legally sell them, without a serial number, as long as you are not a manufacturer, or in the business of producing them for sale. This "business" is vaguely defined and the number is not defined by batfe, and I wouldn't want to test to see what that number is, as it could be very low (IMO a few per year?).

Edit: The batfe relies on your intent at time of manufacture to determine if you're "in the business". If you build one with no intent to sell it but then decide to later that is legal. Some may call this a gray area.

Live free.

Thank you, This was my understanding. I figured id ask just to be sure.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Why would you seralize an 80% lower? Think about it :>)

If you are going to build an SBR then just buy a ready to go lower.

But as ditcherman says above, building a pistol is a great way to go, and a great use for a non serialized lower.

Ron

Top Bottom