• ...and so much more!
  • 2in1evtime

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.4%
    63   1   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    retired-midwest
    I have done 6 lowers so far on my gen2, same bits, first one i did i used thread cutting oil, chips building up on cutter, next five i used a spray silicon type lube and eliminated that problem, It gets easier the more you do also! I would post pics but haven't figured this system out using other sites, i run a mac also. tried once and didn't work out for me, not real computer literate i guess.

D K

Marksman
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I’m surprised there isn't an 80% forum group, but have been struggling to see the benefit of an 80% build.

I get the incognito aspect, but if I were to be involved in a self-defense shooting incident, I would think that the guy carrying the gun without a serial number is not going to be cast in the most favorable light.

The cost savings doesn’t really seem to be there - 80percentarms.com (for example) is selling lowers for $80, but (whenever they’re back in stock), RK has had stripped lowers for $50, I see Spikes forged lowers elsewhere for $93. With that jig at $300, is there really a cost benefit? Then there’s the resale as well - I don't buy with the intent to resell after x years, but there’s certainly value to what I have in the safe. If I fell ill and felt that my 80% build “gun” maybe a burden for my family, would a dealer even take it on consignment?

I get the tinkering/pride of a personal build aspect, and I considered building a P220, but unless I build 10 of them, I just don’t see it happening from a cost perspective.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I’m surprised there isn't an 80% forum group, but have been struggling to see the benefit of an 80% build.

I get the incognito aspect, but if I were to be involved in a self-defense shooting incident, I would think that the guy carrying the gun without a serial number is not going to be cast in the most favorable light.

The cost savings doesn’t really seem to be there - 80percentarms.com (for example) is selling lowers for $80, but (whenever they’re back in stock), RK has had stripped lowers for $50, I see Spikes forged lowers elsewhere for $93. With that jig at $300, is there really a cost benefit? Then there’s the resale as well - I don't buy with the intent to resell after x years, but there’s certainly value to what I have in the safe. If I fell ill and felt that my 80% build “gun” maybe a burden for my family, would a dealer even take it on consignment?

I get the tinkering/pride of a personal build aspect, and I considered building a P220, but unless I build 10 of them, I just don’t see it happening from a cost perspective.

To me, the appeal of the 80% receivers is that you can pick your own serial number (if you want one), and you can have the receiver engraved with whatever you want. I have seen “hello kitty” and “Mattel Toy Company” marked receivers, as well as spot on 100% correctly marked Colt, GM, and H&R Vietnam markings.

Top Bottom