80% Lower Party? Ideas and help appreciated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Socomike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 16, 2011
    FWIW, I understood what you were getting at. To manually run one out on a Bridgeport takes a good bit of time. However, if one programmed it in on a decent 3+ axis cnc mill or Bridgeport conversion, the time drops immensely. Even a good multi-tool readout system would cut the time down after the first one were done. Especially since these are aluminum parts (any idea of the metallurgical composition? 6061, 7075, etc?).

What I was getting at though, is the equipment needed to run multiple items in a "party amount of time"is not usually found in someones garage. I have everything one would ever need or want to do this and would love to host. The issue is that I can't have a group of people in my shop building firearms. Imagine the legalities of the situation. What if someone got hurt? What if one of these lowers found it's way into the hands f a criminal and used in a crime? It eventually gets traced back to me and then a non FFL holding machining company manufacturing and distributing firearms. Best case scenario, I'd lose everything. Worst case, I'd be in jail.

Heck, the same thing could happen from a homeowner standpoint. Your insurance company does know you have industrial machine tooling being used in your garage, right?

I see your point. There are some concerns for sure.

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    Flaspuppy theres a loy more to it than you think. The only thing id worry about is someone hurting themselves. Other than that you dont need a ffl you are not manufacturing.... You can actually help then with the first passes.

flashpuppy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    NWI, Lowell
    Flaspuppy theres a loy more to it than you think. The only thing id worry about is someone hurting themselves. Other than that you dont need a ffl you are not manufacturing.... You can actually help then with the first passes.

I know you don't know much about me, but trust me there is not anything more to it than I think. If you walk into a gunsmith and ask him to finish your lower for you, he'd make you get a SN on it and then fill out a 4473. You walked in with a block of aluminum, you left with a firearm. A group of guys, finishing 80% lowers, in my shop, on my equipment, under my supervision is in fact the DEFINITION of manufacturing. How else would you define manufacturing?

Say a guy that works at Yankee Hill Machine (totally random, nothing intended or implied) stays late one night and finishes out a partially machined lower for himself and invites a group of guys along to do the same. Legal? Not a chance. Just because I do not hold a current FFL does not change the rules for my business.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Are you talking creating serial numbers?

Possibly. But mostly the "safe" "fire" markings and any kind of logo or caliber markings I might want. I am pretty sure I will put a number on it so if I ever wanted to register it, I wouldn't mess up the anodizing by adding a number later.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Register it? There is no registration, here anyway.

My concern is that an unnumbered gun might be subject to confiscation? We know it's legal, but LEO's may not.
    What is everyone's plan for this?

Purdue Plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 7, 2013
    Indy

My concern is that an unnumbered gun might be subject to confiscation? We know it's legal, but LEO's may not.

From reading other people's threads about this issue on other places, the best practice seems to give it some sort of number just for your personal use and decreasing the likelihood of having to explain it or dealing with the trouble. More importantly, if it were ever stolen... it'd be good to have some identifying information.

Dscn0819.jpg

flashpuppy has legitimate concerns and anyone who organizes it should be careful and whatever party plan should likely be run by someone with very deep understanding of the laws involved. IF you find someone with a CNC and willing to let a party group use it, there was even some question I found about is the person who presses run the 'manufacturer' of their own firearm, or should they put in more effort like working on the g-code. Using a mill yourself, even under supervision, is more direct and physical... but things get blurry with CNC.

When discussing it previously, it seemed like the best approach to have the party organized more towards trade education and learning, rather than just trying to basically have someone manufacture it for you while you watch and sorta participate. If you could happen upon someone with multiple machines, maybe it would take 2-3 hours say instead of 2x# of party members. But that might be a challenge to find someone with those resources and willing to host. (Liability and such)

But if someone can make it happen, I'd like to join in.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Well, I don't know the proper word to use but if I wish to sell it one day or pass it on to a family member it has to have a serial number and have the form filled out and called in to the BATF. That is why I will put a number on mine. I won't have to volunteer to fill out the form because I put a number on it, but I have the option.

If you choose not to fill out the form, then you are the only person that can own it.

If I understand the laws correctly, it is not subject to confiscation just because it does not have a number on it. However, if it was every stolen, having the number could help in recovery.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Well, I don't know the proper word to use but if I wish to sell it one day or pass it on to a family member it has to have a serial number and have the form filled out and called in to the BATF. That is why I will put a number on mine. I won't have to volunteer to fill out the form because I put a number on it, but I have the option.

If you choose not to fill out the form, then you are the only person that can own it.

If I understand the laws correctly, it is not subject to confiscation just because it does not have a number on it. However, if it was every stolen, having the number could help in recovery.

I see, your "registering it" actually makes it a sale able item?
    My reference to confiscation was if LEO discovered an unnumbered gun during a routine check that they might confiscate it (and maybe you) while they were sorting out the legalities.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I see, your "registering it" actually makes it a sale able item?
    My reference to confiscation was if LEO discovered an unnumbered gun during a routine check that they might confiscate it (and maybe you) while they were sorting out the legalities.

Correct. If I take it to a FFL dealer and have them run the paperwork just like I was buying a gun, then it could be treated just like any other firearm. This is if I understand the laws correctly. If I get mine and end up finishing it, I will verify this. If I don't finish it, I can sell it to anyone since at 80% its not considered a firearm, just a piece of metal, art, paperweight, whatever.

I see on the routine check. I wonder what a cop would do if he saw there was no serial number on it. I do know it is big trouble if you remove a serial number...

silentvoice71

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Ft Wayne IN
    ......you only have to number it IF YOU WANT TO. To sell it you have to stamp it with your information....name adress that is it. You can only MAKE AND SELL 49 a year. You can make as many as you want no numbers. The police officer cant do crap! Tell him its a home made gun and does not require a sn.

Top Bottom