• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    There are a gazillion firearms for sale out there today that have no serial numbers, and they're all perfectly legal to sell/trade/buy.
    Firearms manufactured before a certain date (circa 1940's I believe) were not required to have serial numbers, therefore many manufacturers didn't bother.
    I have a Mossberg model 144 .22Lr that has no serial number, and it never has.

Yeap, you are correct. The 68 GCA changed that, If you built that firearm before 1968 you would be required to serialize it prior to sale or transfer. If it's for your personal use it is not required. Atleast thats my understanding.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Aluminum. They're less blowey uppey.
    yes you can gift or sell them. You just can't make it with the intention of gifting or selling. It's not required, but recommended (by multiple peoples) to put a serial # on it if you transfer ownership... Don't quite understand that concept other than 'ooh scary' since rifling will track down the barrel anyways.
    Having said that, I've put serial #'s on all my 80% lowers I built... makes em more customizabled to me... and I don't intend on transferring them. Who wants a lower with RobbyMaQ engraved on the side of it anyways?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I would go with aluminum for long term durability but lets be honest, you are not going to "blow up" a polymer lower without first blowing up the steel barrel and aluminum upper where the action and stress really happen during firing. Where you will likely have a problem with a polymer lower over time is where the buffer tube screws into the polymer lower.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have both, and like both. I like aluminum more, however I live the plastic one on my dedicated 22, it just "fits". I think 80%s are fun too. Aluminum IMO ALWAYS feels much higher quality than plastic. Safety always snaps into and out of position better, it's just a tactile thing for me I guess. Plastic seems a little mushy by comparison.

bamtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2014
    Bloomington
    Ive done a few of each kind with my drill press, and while the ploymer was definitely easier, the sides started to bow in after completion... Making the trigger group stick and hard to even remove. Very weird. Not sure if it was the manufacturer or something I did wrong. But the aluminum ones worked great and thats what I will go with from now on.

Top Bottom