• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Looking like I’ll be going with pri. It’s cheaper than the others and comes anodized. So it’s a no brainer. The worn in look is to be desired. Only problem is once it wears through it would look odd without black underneath. Pri is reputable. I’ll probably buy the jig from them as well as I believe they’ll stand behind it if I have issues over some kit I pick up at the 1500.

HD easy jig has served me well, but looking back I'd get the 5d tactical or whatever one, it's a little more mill work, but easier to get things right than the easy jig, though I'd use both if I could

I'm curious on how the pri is going to be, should be a nice lower, but I ordered a bunch of 80% from them in the past and the bolt catch was drilled wrong, found that out after I had already spent 3hrs milling a lower :abused: so I don't trust their 80s much....bbut ymmv

Kpquinn9100

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2015
    Camby
    I’ll take a look into those jig kits. Since I’m green to this concept I’m not sure what I should be looking for in a kit.

BrianT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2017
    Butlerville
    The guys on a retro group I'm in have several retro M16 lowers and are even copying roll marks. It's absolutely fascinating and they have made some beautiful stuff. I'm not sure where they are sourcing those 80%s, or if they are just machining the gate and such off. It's Down South Retros on Facebook, great group of guys.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I'm working on a Colt 602 model, which even predates the A1. When I get to the lower I'm going to do the extra machining to give it the slab-sided profile. I already have the upper with no forward assist nor brass deflector. I plan to put markings on the left side, including a prancing Pinkie Pie and "no cupcake"/cupcake/cupcake cupcake cupcake for the switch, though no hardware for the multiple cupcakes :( What I really want to find is a 20 round waffle mag.

FWP9MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Bluffton
    I’ve got a Ghost Gunner Mill. https://ghostgunner.net/products/ghost-gunner
    If you can invest in the initial cost, it’s the best bang for the buck. I’ve done about 5 AR15 lowers an AR10 lower, and they just came out with the software to mill out 1911 frames.
    Takes about 3hrs from the start to finish.

Or for the same cost you can find a used Bridgeport or a new Grizzley mill that can be used for a lot more things. The concept is cool, but if you are only doing a handfull of lowers you are better off getting a good jig, router and bits if you want to go the 80% route. Once it warms up, I hope to try a few 80% lowers on a old Bridgeport I picked up.

Top Bottom