844 Surplus Powder: What's your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    I've never used and I'm new to reloading. I think I understand that most of it is reclaimed. Is it in good for consistency? Anybody with their :twocents:?

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    with surplus powders you MUST start low and work up loads!!!! it can vary a bit from one lot to another I have seen this in several surplus powders.......you can normally just run with it with retail powders thou we should restart low and work up even when starting a new one pound cannister......... vigilance affords safety to the conciensous reloader!

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    You can get WC844 for really cheap these days. It comes from mil 223 pull downs. WC844 is comparable to H335 in load data and pressures.

Of COURSE.... work up your load data, don't max it and work backwards.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    WC844 is very common in .222 and .223 cases with 55-62 gr heads. H335 data is said to be equivalent. Be careful when loading near max because it is temperature sensitive. And, there can be significant differences lot-to-lot. Work up slow, and be careful

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Gotcha on the lot to lot differences and you gotta work it up. How consistent is 1 8Lb keg? I'd like to make atleast near match ammo so I had not considered it up to this point.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Consistency between kegs is going to be absolutely nonexistent. Pulled powders may come from mixed lots, mixed calibers, any number of variables.

It's great powder to plink with, but don't enter any matches with surplus unless you're shooting it all from the same keg.

Cannon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    Consistency between kegs is going to be absolutely nonexistent. Pulled powders may come from mixed lots, mixed calibers, any number of variables.

It's great powder to plink with, but don't enter any matches with surplus unless you're shooting it all from the same keg.

I've never shot a match but I have got the accuracy bug. I've shot match ammo before but it's crazy on how well some of this reloaded ammo is. I'll pick some up eventually I'm sure, just wanted to hear others opinions. Honestly, my hands are full right now just trying out some of the RL15 I picked up this week. Thanks for the info!

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You can get WC844 for really cheap these days. It comes from mil 223 pull downs. WC844 is comparable to H335 in load data and pressures.

Of COURSE.... work up your load data, don't max it and work backwards.

Educate please: what's the definition of the term "pull downs". This is the second time I've seen it tonight and I don't know what it means....

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Educate please: what's the definition of the term "pull downs". This is the second time I've seen it tonight and I don't know what it means....

It's powder (also applies to bullets and sometimes cases) that comes from surplus military ammunition that has been disassembled. Our government can't/won't sell current surplus ammo. But they can/will sell to contractors who disassemble and re-sell the components.

Top Bottom