• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    What is it you want done? Seems like the 870, can be modded by just buying and adding, barrels are a breeze, stocks too, then again, I can see having pros do a build…anywho good luck, they’re great shotguns, and I kick myself for ever trading away my 870…

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    What is it you want done? Seems like the 870, can be modded by just buying and adding, barrels are a breeze, stocks too, then again, I can see having pros do a build…anywho good luck, they’re great shotguns, and I kick myself for ever trading away my 870…
    Yea true! I could do everything and then maybe find a gun smith here for the coating. Thankyou for saving me an unnecessary amount of money lol

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    You might be surprised at the cost of a beater 870 wingmaster. They made millions of them and they seem to be at a premium price point at the moment.

As stated above I think you can do a good job with aftermarket parts on an 870 and aftermarket parts are available everywhere.

That said if you got a killer deal on an 870 the going rates now compared to years ago could justify the added expense of the Wilson rework.

I personally think: a short barrel that shoots buckshot with a pattern of choice to point of aim, a weapon light, ammo in an accessible place, a sling, and maybe but not needed an extended magazine tube is all a shotgun really needs.

I have slug barrel factory furniture a sling and a cheap nylon ammo but cuff on an old 870 12 gauge. That's the home setup and yes it could really use a light but a small flashlight is next to it at all Times . The truck gun is a police marine model with the light (sure fire) in the front handguard and a side folding stock I believe from choate.

The home setup I like better but that one I have had since I was like 14-15 years old. The marine version I picked up years ago from a biker with legal issues.

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    You might be surprised at the cost of a beater 870 wingmaster. They made millions of them and they seem to be at a premium price point at the moment.

As stated above I think you can do a good job with aftermarket parts on an 870 and aftermarket parts are available everywhere.

That said if you got a killer deal on an 870 the going rates now compared to years ago could justify the added expense of the Wilson rework.

I personally think: a short barrel that shoots buckshot with a pattern of choice to point of aim, a weapon light, ammo in an accessible place, a sling, and maybe but not needed an extended magazine tube is all a shotgun really needs.

I have slug barrel factory furniture a sling and a cheap nylon ammo but cuff on an old 870 12 gauge. That's the home setup and yes it could really use a light but a small flashlight is next to it at all Times . The truck gun is a police marine model with the light (sure fire) in the front handguard and a side folding stock I believe from choate.

The home setup I like better but that one I have had since I was like 14-15 years old. The marine version I picked up years ago from a biker with legal issues.
    After looking at some 870 wingmasters, (I recall paying $300 years ago) Mine isn’t in terrible shape the stock sets are very gouged in a few spots.
    I did end up throwing it back together and it functions other than test firing.
    Definitely plan on new stock set temporarily until I decide what direction I want to go, whether I reblue or cerakote.
    The barrel on it does say it shoots both 2.75 and 3 inch shells in magnum receivers.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpeg
      IMG_2275.jpeg
      1.6 MB · Views: 12

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The barrel will say 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells if made after certain dates. I think (my google foo not used) that the reciever needs to be a 870m to use 3 inch shells.

in a defensive gun no real need for 3 inch shells but if you duck hunt or coyotes the 3 inch gets more lead or steel per shot taken.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I had a Wilson 870 years ago and while it was a very nice gun it wasn’t much better than my Police Magnum in function and fit. Looks was another story! I still have the Police Magnum and a couple Ithaca 37 DSPS 9 shot riot guns. The Ithaca are very nice and feature the slam fire feature if you can hold onto it.
    I keep my eye open for 870 Police guns as they are just great shotguns and are easy to work on and have a multitude of replacement and upgrade parts available. I might get another one to tinker with. Good luck in your search.

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    The barrel will say 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells if made after certain dates. I think (my google foo not used) that the reciever needs to be a 870m to use 3 inch shells.

in a defensive gun no real need for 3 inch shells but if you duck hunt or coyotes the 3 inch gets more lead or steel per shot taken.
    Okay, the other barrel only says 2 3/4 on it. I’m not planning on 3 inch shells at all

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    The Ithaca are very nice and feature the slam fire feature if you can hold onto it.
    I agree a 100% on the old Ithaca slam fire feature for home defense -Taught the wife to hold the trigger and keep pumping -This time a year we call her the pumpkin kill. Great fun and practice for her -Puts a smile on her face every year when we clean up the patch. If you are set on spending money on a 870 make sure you get one of the older wingmaster with the silver lifers, the newer one are junk.

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    I had a Wilson 870 years ago and while it was a very nice gun it wasn’t much better than my Police Magnum in function and fit. Looks was another story! I still have the Police Magnum and a couple Ithaca 37 DSPS 9 shot riot guns. The Ithaca are very nice and feature the slam fire feature if you can hold onto it.
    I keep my eye open for 870 Police guns as they are just great shotguns and are easy to work on and have a multitude of replacement and upgrade parts available. I might get another one to tinker with. Good luck in your search.

I think I definitely need to get a police magnum version now. I don’t really need the Wilson upgrades and turn it into something so expensive I never use it.
    Those police magnums at the Madison gun store have my eye now!

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    I agree a 100% on the old Ithaca slam fire feature for home defense -Taught the wife to hold the trigger and keep pumping -This time a year we call her the pumpkin kill. Great fun and practice for her -Puts a smile on her face every year when we clean up the patch. If you are set on spending money on a 870 make sure you get one of the older wingmaster with the silver lifers, the newer one are junk.
    Y’all are gonna have me buying all sorts of new shotguns lol! I’ll be looking up the Ithaca now.
    So I think this one was made in the 70s…I didn’t dig to deep enough to know for sure though

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    After looking at some 870 wingmasters, (I recall paying $300 years ago) Mine isn’t in terrible shape the stock sets are very gouged in a few spots.
    I did end up throwing it back together and it functions other than test firing.
    Definitely plan on new stock set temporarily until I decide what direction I want to go, whether I reblue or cerakote.
    The barrel on it does say it shoots both 2.75 and 3 inch shells in magnum receivers.
    That looks like an older 870 with nice walnut and chrome bolt and shell lifter. Should be a great gun. If you don’t like that wood I’ll take it! I have a plain wood stock and I think a synthetic stock around here I’d trade ya.
    I’d use the short bbl and mag extension if it were me and go from there. Mine is a Magnum but I use 2 3/4” #4 and 00 buck in it. The 3” just hurts my old body too much anymore and at close range I don’t think the bad guy will know the difference.

WhatTheHeck1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2019
    Fort Wayne
    That looks like an older 870 with nice walnut and chrome bolt and shell lifter. Should be a great gun. If you don’t like that wood I’ll take it! I have a plain wood stock and I think a synthetic stock around here I’d trade ya.
    I’d use the short bbl and mag extension if it were me and go from there. Mine is a Magnum but I use 2 3/4” #4 and 00 buck in it. The 3” just hurts my old body too much anymore and at close range I don’t think the bad guy will know the difference.
    Okay! Like I said, pretty gouged up in a few spots. I didn’t realize some of these stock sets cost more than I paid for the gun haha.
    If I figure out what I’m doing I will message you!
    And yea I think I just need a new spring to use the mag extension.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Okay! Like I said, pretty gouged up in a few spots. I didn’t realize some of these stock sets cost more than I paid for the gun haha.
    If I figure out what I’m doing I will message you!
    And yea I think I just need a new spring to use the mag extension.
    I’d get a new spring and an updated follower.

Top Bottom