• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    So I just bought at 870 with a rifled barrel for a fair price. I figure I'll hunt with it, but primarily I want it for HD. I was wondering if there was disadvantage to having a rifled barrel. Are rifled slugs bad for a rifled barrel? Can I still use #4-00 buckshot without having to worry about anything?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Rifled slugs are for a smoothbore barrel. Sabot's are for use in a rifled barrel. You'll have a better engineered bullet that has a flatter trajectory. That being said, for HD applications, that probably wouldn't matter much. Shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel shouldn't damage the barrel, but you will have not have as accurate results (again, talking about distance). The buckshot will work okay out of it, provided that it's lead. Not sure about steel shot.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Shooting any kind of shot out of a rifled barrel will absolutely kill accuracy due to the spin imparted on the wad/shot.

It'll end up in an expanding "donut" instead of a tight pattern that you need.

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    If you are shooting in your home, the barrel isn't going to matter much, because of the short distance (feet vs yards). If you are outside hunting, yes it makes a huge difference. Usually you can get both barrels and switch them out for your needs.

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    If you are shooting in your home, the barrel isn't going to matter much, because of the short distance (feet vs yards). If you are outside hunting, yes it makes a huge difference. Usually you can get both barrels and switch them out for your needs.
    Well I plan on doing both, but primarily a HD gun since I have other shotguns. I also planned on practicing with it. lol I wouldn't want to depend on something that I don't know how it acts. lol

I mean if its not a big deal I'm not worried about it but I do plan on shooting it a bit lol. I just was lookin for something simple and I like the small fiber optic sights it has on it.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

I wouldn't bet on it, the box o truth guy did a test on it. At 15 ft buckshot in a rifled barrel opened up to a 18" doughnut pattern. Compared to a 4" one with the same ammo in a imp cyl choked shotgun.
    The Box O' Truth #43 - Buckshot in a Rifled Shotgun Barrel - Page 1

Rifled slugs are for a smoothbore barrel. Sabot's are for use in a rifled barrel. You'll have a better engineered bullet that has a flatter trajectory. That being said, for HD applications, that probably wouldn't matter much. Shooting rifled slugs out of a rifled barrel shouldn't damage the barrel, but you will have not have as accurate results (again, talking about distance).
    You might be surprised about the accuracy of a rifled slug out of a rifled barrel.
    The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 4
    Shooting any kind of shot out of a rifled barrel will absolutely kill accuracy due to the spin imparted on the wad/shot.

It'll end up in an expanding "donut" instead of a tight pattern that you need.

-J-

Yep.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    or for HD get a smooth bore and cut it down to 18" and load it with 00buck or hexolit32

70539.jpg

Last edited:

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Cut it? Whats wrong with the "police" style barrels. If I could find another shorter barrel with fiber optic sights that'd be great. The main thing is I want rifle sights, I don't like shooting slugs and not having a more accurate sight than a bead.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    You don't "need" a police barrel...

On the 870 I own now, it has a standard 18" smoothbore w/ bead sight.

My previous 870 wore a 20" smoothbore slug barrel with rifle-type sights.

Either/or would be fine!

Keep in mind when you're shopping for another barrel that the shorter they are, the more money they cost (demand). In my opinion, a 20" with a +3 mag tube extension is pretty slick!

1.jpg

My formerly owned 870. 20" barrel, rifle sights, +2 extension, Blackhawk Recoil Reducing stock

PB110010.jpg

PB110006-2.jpg

Current 870 w/ 18" barrel + factory stock set. Which I've found to have too long a LOP, unfortunately...

-J-

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    So I just bought at 870 with a rifled barrel for a fair price. I figure I'll hunt with it, but primarily I want it for HD. I was wondering if there was disadvantage to having a rifled barrel. Are rifled slugs bad for a rifled barrel? Can I still use #4-00 buckshot without having to worry about anything?

Rifle slugs are fine in a rifled barrel but they are designed for smoothbore. A rifled barrel will spread out shot due to centrifugal motion of spinning. Check out theboxotruth.com for info on shot loads and slugs with different barrels. An absolute must read :twocents:

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    You don't "need" a police barrel...

On the 870 I own now, it has a standard 18" smoothbore w/ bead sight.

My previous 870 wore a 20" smoothbore slug barrel with rifle-type sights.

Either/or would be fine!

Keep in mind when you're shopping for another barrel that the shorter they are, the more money they cost (demand). In my opinion, a 20" with a +3 mag tube extension is pretty slick!

1.jpg

My formerly owned 870. 20" barrel, rifle sights, +2 extension, Blackhawk Recoil Reducing stock

PB110010.jpg

PB110006-2.jpg

Current 870 w/ 18" barrel + factory stock set. Which I've found to have too long a LOP, unfortunately...

-J-
    Where would be a good place to find a 18-20in smoothbore barrel with rifle sights? Is there an 870 specific store or is that common enough at gun shops?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Remington sells them, Mossburg even sells them. Most gun shops either carry them or can get them in for you.

Hastings is another brand / manufacturer that you can look for. (i think...)

Any place online that sells firearms and/or accessories might be a good place to look, too.

Start doing some Google-ing. It really isn't as hard as you're making it on yourself.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Tactical Shotgunner on Shelby Street south of Indy has a metric crap ton of shotguns and accessories in stock. That's their business and they are very good at it. They are also an INGO advertiser. Send a PM to "MrsGungho" on here and she'll take care of you, she owns the place :D

ghostinthewood

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Washington, IN
    Remington sells them, Mossburg even sells them. Most gun shops either carry them or can get them in for you.

Hastings is another brand / manufacturer that you can look for. (i think...)

Any place online that sells firearms and/or accessories might be a good place to look, too.

Start doing some Google-ing. It really isn't as hard as you're making it on yourself.
    Nooo don't get me wrong I have been searching a lot, but in general google turns up the popular answers not the best answers. I really don't like to overlook things is all. Plus I've looked around midway, gunbroker, PM'ed some people here in the BST, and looked through brownells. =p

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    I wouldn't bet on it, the box o truth guy did a test on it. At 15 ft buckshot in a rifled barrel opened up to a 18" doughnut pattern. Compared to a 4" one with the same ammo in a imp cyl choked shotgun.
    The Box O' Truth #43 - Buckshot in a Rifled Shotgun Barrel - Page 1

You might be surprised about the accuracy of a rifled slug out of a rifled barrel.
    The Box O' Truth #46 - Shotgun Slugs, Sabots, and Smooth Bore Barrels - Page 4

Yep.

Yes, the rifled barrel does impart a spin on the shot charge, but at 15 feet, that would mean you are in a room in your home 17 feet wide at minimum and if the BG were in the room, you effectively are shooting less than 15 feet. If that is all you have to shoot, then keep pumping! 18" pattern at fifteen feet...if that is not that bad, then let me offer to hit you up with 21 pellets, standing 15 feet away and see if it hurts.

As for the slugs, the box o truth test was performed at 50 yds. Sabots are designed for rifled barrels. The plastic sabot allows for a more efficiently designed projectile, thereby allowing it to fly farther and faster. This also means that for any given distance the trajectory is much flatter, allowing for greater accuracy. Second, the sabot helps keep the barrel from becoming leaded and dirty. A rifled slug through a rifled barrel is going to add to more friction if ever slightly.

That does make a difference when hunting. A sabot slug and quality scope can expect to have an effective range of up to 150 yards or more.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    If that is all you have to shoot, then keep pumping! 18" pattern at fifteen feet...if that is not that bad

Keep in mind when you use a firearm in self-defense that you are responsible for every pellet or bullet that you discharge. While an 18" pattern may be acceptable to you, you are still responsible for any damage/injury caused by errant pellets.
    Shotguns can be devastating weapons, but the devastation is maximized when as much of the lead payload as possible reaches it's target.
    The above are two very compelling reasons to NOT want a loose shot pattern with a HD load. :twocents:

Top Bottom