• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Keep in mind when you use a firearm in self-defense that you are responsible for every pellet or bullet that you discharge. While an 18" pattern may be acceptable to you, you are still responsible for any damage/injury caused by errant pellets.
    Shotguns can be devastating weapons, but the devastation is maximized when as much of the lead payload as possible reaches it's target.
    The above are two very compelling reasons to NOT want a loose shot pattern with a HD load. :twocents:

I am not disagreeing...just merely stating that if that is all you have with which to defend yourself, then what, just throw your shotgun at him because you're concerned about errant pellets? How wide is an average person in the trunck 18", 20"? Of course devastation is maximized with a concentrated force. I never stated the contrary. I am only saying that if this is the only weapon you have, you do everything to protect your life in your home. As for me, this type of equipment setup is not in my HD arsenal.

As for taking it out hunting as the OP had in his post, a sabot is the best use for a rifled barrel.

Last edited:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Yes, the rifled barrel does impart a spin on the shot charge, but at 15 feet, that would mean you are in a room in your home 17 feet wide at minimum and if the BG were in the room, you effectively are shooting less than 15 feet. If that is all you have to shoot, then keep pumping! 18" pattern at fifteen feet...if that is not that bad, then let me offer to hit you up with 21 pellets, standing 15 feet away and see if it hurts.

This also means that for any given distance the trajectory is much flatter, allowing for greater accuracy. Second, the sabot helps keep the barrel from becoming leaded and dirty.

That does make a difference when hunting. A sabot slug and quality scope can expect to have an effective range of up to 150 yards or more.

From where I'm sitting right now to my front door is 17 ft., yes I did measure it just now. ;) My living room/dining room combination is right about 35', in my home a shot at 25' is definitely possible. Heck there is at least one shot in my home that would be about 35-40.

Would you agree that a .25 is probably not the best choice for home defense and quite possibly the worst? Would you offer yourself up to be the target at 15'? And yes a 18" spread is that bad. When you have to shoot in self defense you want to stop the BG as quick as possible, which means shot placement(and an effective caliber). What are your chances of hitting one of the small areas that are known to put someone down quick with that kind of pattern?

A flatter trajectory is more forgiving if you misjudge the distance, which is a aid to hunting. But it is not necessarily more accurate. At a known distance with a known trajectory a bullet drop of 3" or 10" isn't going to matter. Heck the current longest sniper shot is just over a mile and a half, with his scope adjusted all the way he still had a 5' hold over. He got the guy in the chest, I'd say that man and his rifle were very accurate.

And in the link they talked about leading from a rifled slug in a rifled barrel. They noticed no leading. While there will probably be some, in a hunting situation I highly doubt someone is going to be firing enough of them to make a difference.

I am only saying that if this is the only weapon you have, you do everything to protect your life in your home.

As for taking it out hunting as the OP had in his post, a sabot is the best use for a rifled barrel.

First part I agree with, but if some one had a .25 for home defense and was asking if it was good enough. Would you answer that it's just fine?

And depends, if where he is hunting the maximum shot he would be taking is only 50-75 yards, and maybe up to 100. I'd say a good rifled slug would be the best, simply for cost.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    From where I'm sitting right now to my front door is 17 ft., yes I did measure it just now. ;) My living room/dining room combination is right about 35', in my home a shot at 25' is definitely possible. Heck there is at least one shot in my home that would be about 35-40.

Would you agree that a .25 is probably not the best choice for home defense and quite possibly the worst? Would you offer yourself up to be the target at 15'? And yes a 18" spread is that bad. When you have to shoot in self defense you want to stop the BG as quick as possible, which means shot placement(and an effective caliber). What are your chances of hitting one of the small areas that are known to put someone down quick with that kind of pattern?

A flatter trajectory is more forgiving if you misjudge the distance, which is a aid to hunting. But it is not necessarily more accurate. At a known distance with a known trajectory a bullet drop of 3" or 10" isn't going to matter. Heck the current longest sniper shot is just over a mile and a half, with his scope adjusted all the way he still had a 5' hold over. He got the guy in the chest, I'd say that man and his rifle were very accurate.

And in the link they talked about leading from a rifled slug in a rifled barrel. They noticed no leading. While there will probably be some, in a hunting situation I highly doubt someone is going to be firing enough of them to make a difference.

First part I agree with, but if some one had a .25 for home defense and was asking if it was good enough. Would you answer that it's just fine?

And depends, if where he is hunting the maximum shot he would be taking is only 50-75 yards, and maybe up to 100. I'd say a good rifled slug would be the best, simply for cost.

I never disagreed. I only commented on the OP and the use of a rifled slug barrel. If the OP chooses to use it, that is the OP's choice. As for a .25, that's outside of the OP's discussion. But, if someone had a .25 for HD on here asking, then of course I would answer it's just fine! This is the internet and everything is true here! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom