• ...and so much more!
  • ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    I'm new to the 8mm Mauser world, and the online reviews talking about how complicated it can be definitely scared me a little. I am thinking about getting a Kar 98k or another variation with decent accuracy that can get me to 300 yards with iron sights. Any recommendations? I originally wanted a German Mauser wartime version, but the prices on GunBroker vary a lot, and I am simply not knowledgeable enough to tell which one is real and which is fake. any opinion will help!

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I haven’t shot mine at 300 but at 100 it’s fairly easy so long as you use an appropriate sized target. 4” groups is about what I can muster.

IMG_3118.jpeg

And yes the sights tend to blur together for me. Dot of bright nail polish might help.

The rifle and cartridge itself are capable of going quite far

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The issue, you will find, is shooting accurately at that range, with those sights (unless you'll be shooting at refrigerators).

The invert V aka barleycorn is, um. "Not awesome".
    It's always puzzled me why nearly all military rifles from the past had such crappy sights. Awesome rifles, certainly capable of good accuracy, but dang the sights sucked.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Three hun-dirt yards? With those miserable sights? Optimistic to say the least.

1. Know what makes a solid rifle. 2. learn how to inspect. 3. Put in time and money. As Uncle Sonny said, rifles are like puppies, have to put in time and money.

I have a couple of Czechs. It is the barrel you have to look at. Remember they came in at $70 or so and then Jasper Lee and Cledus Lee when out and shot Turk corrosive ammo though them and then cleaned them as well as they did their teeth (not at all). I was lucky as I am old enough that I bought when 6s first approved so barrels were all solid.

I crowned the barrel (also quicksilvered it, don't tell IDEM or EPA), stoned the trigger, moderate polished the bolt, put ghost ring on it and a British 3 point (Canookian 2 point, Jeff Cooper Carlos Widmann system), and cut stock down about .75" with Pach Decelerator on end (I am sensitive, or smart, both).

I get inside 5" with COTS ammo including the heavy Serbian stuff (the 198 gr soft points). Never shot it at 300.

1704369453158.png

Firehawk

a.k.a. Rainmaker, Rainhawk, Firemaker or whatever
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I'm new to the 8mm Mauser world, and the online reviews talking about how complicated it can be definitely scared me a little. I am thinking about getting a Kar 98k or another variation with decent accuracy that can get me to 300 yards with iron sights. Any recommendations? I originally wanted a German Mauser wartime version, but the prices on GunBroker vary a lot, and I am simply not knowledgeable enough to tell which one is real and which is fake. any opinion will help!
    If you’re not stuck on a German K98, a Yugo M48 in good condition is also a nice 8mm Mauser rifle. Supposedly it was patterned after the K98. It looks and feels very similar to a K98 although there are differences. The stock is not exactly the same and receiver is bit shorter from what I’ve read. From my understanding, it is regarded as one of the better quality Mausers out there, though not quite as good nor as collectible as a K98k.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you’re not stuck on a German K98, a Yugo M48 in good condition is also a nice 8mm Mauser rifle. Supposedly it was patterned after the K98. It looks and feels very similar to a K98 although there are differences. The stock is not exactly the same and receiver is bit shorter from what I’ve read. From my understanding, it is regarded as one of the better quality Mausers out there, though not quite as good nor as collectible as a K98k.
    VZ24's are another option as well.
    When I got this one, it already had the Lyman rear peep installed. HUGE improvement over the original sights.

1704379838087.jpeg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    That ammo isn't meant for a bolt gun...

It was made for THIS. (yes this is Chambered in 8 Mauser)
    View attachment 323236

The Zastava M76.

You can find these M76 rifles around.
    True, don't tell mom. The PPU is equivalent to what Yugos used in M76, but 198s (remember like BW3 PPU has mild and hot ratings) are good in my Czech rifles. Very mid (b/c of J bores) to quote my nephews.

The Remington 170s do well too. Have not shot the new stuff from Arkansas.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    True, don't tell mom. The PPU is equivalent to what Yugos used in M76, but 198s (remember like BW3 PPU has mild and hot ratings) are good in my Czech rifles. Very mid (b/c of J bores) to quote my nephews.

The Remington 170s do well too. Have not shot the new stuff from Arkansas.
    The original load for the M76 rifle is the Yugoslavian M75 ammo. 190grain. And it kicks like a runaway dump truck. (and its corrosive)
    1704385012214.jpeg

Try the PPU 200 grain 8mm Match... just.. no whining about recoil. (another dump truck like recoiler)
    1704385105055.jpeg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    I agree (& have a K98). I cleaned up a M48A from cosmoline, and it is one of my favorite shooters. Plus, they won't break the bank. Runs PPU just fine. It's probably going to take quite a bit of practice to be consistent at 300 meters with irons.

20240104_101418.jpg 20240104_101628.jpg 20240104_102131.jpg

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    Thank everyone for their inputs! I'm new to the gun owner forum and I'm already amazed by all these supportive comments! You guys are awesome. Glad to be one of the supporters to the site.

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    What do you guys think of yugo captured k98s? If I understand correctly, the gun itself is made in Germany and later captured by the Yugos. The only difference it's the Yugos scrub the Nazi marks but the gun itself it's still a german gun? I'm seeing some yugo captured masuers priced at the 5-700$ range, some have matching serials and some don't. is this sounds fair?

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    Three hun-dirt yards? With those miserable sights? Optimistic to say the least.

1. Know what makes a solid rifle. 2. learn how to inspect. 3. Put in time and money. As Uncle Sonny said, rifles are like puppies, have to put in time and money.

I have a couple of Czechs. It is the barrel you have to look at. Remember they came in at $70 or so and then Jasper Lee and Cledus Lee when out and shot Turk corrosive ammo though them and then cleaned them as well as they did their teeth (not at all). I was lucky as I am old enough that I bought when 6s first approved so barrels were all solid.

I crowned the barrel (also quicksilvered it, don't tell IDEM or EPA), stoned the trigger, moderate polished the bolt, put ghost ring on it and a British 3 point (Canookian 2 point, Jeff Cooper Carlos Widmann system), and cut stock down about .75" with Pach Decelerator on end (I am sensitive, or smart, both).

I get inside 5" with COTS ammo including the heavy Serbian stuff (the 198 gr soft points). Never shot it at 300.

View attachment 323214
    I used to shoot 91/30 with iron sights, I can shoot it to a steel plate 20x12 at 300 yard with no issues. I don't know if mosin's iron sight is better or worst than the Mausers

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    I very rarely shoot commercial ammo. I've got a crap ton of surplus Yugo, Turk and Romanian.
    Are they generally safe? I mean I seen people on the youtube explode their guns with surplus ammos. I have no experience with surplus ammos before. Would they explode the gun at you ?

Top Bottom