• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnKDM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2023
    Rutledge
    On the subject of headspacing - a great many milsurps will accept a NO-GO gauge. Some are not aware there are three gauges; GO, NO-GO, and FIELD. The first two are used to determine the chamber and ensure factory ammo will work. The FIELD is longer, and it represents the point where it should not be fired. Of course, headspace exceeding a NO-GO will likely be hard on brass reloading and accuracy, it isn't necessarily bad. What you don't know, without the FIELD gauge, is just how far past NO-GO is it?

Purdue1991

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    On the subject of headspacing - a great many milsurps will accept a NO-GO gauge. Some are not aware there are three gauges; GO, NO-GO, and FIELD. The first two are used to determine the chamber and ensure factory ammo will work. The FIELD is longer, and it represents the point where it should not be fired. Of course, headspace exceeding a NO-GO will likely be hard on brass reloading and accuracy, it isn't necessarily bad. What you don't know, without the FIELD gauge, is just how far past NO-GO is it?

Agreed. Only way I'm using a rifle where head spacing is between no-go and field gauge is if I'm running light loads.

When a bolt closes on a no go gauge it usually means the lug recessed have setback or recessed over time or due to a soft receiver. Or someone has swapped bolts to a non numbers matching.

ISO400

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2024
    South Bend
    thanks for the info! I probably won't trust my limited knowledge so I guess i'll be getting an experienced gunsmith to minimize the chances of blowing up my face hhh. it's good to learn though!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Agreed. Only way I'm using a rifle where head spacing is between no-go and field gauge is if I'm running light loads.

When a bolt closes on a no go gauge it usually means the lug recessed have setback or recessed over time or due to a soft receiver. Or someone has swapped bolts to a non numbers matching.
    That right there is a good reason to reload and with that one can resize the fireformed cases to THAT chamber.

Top Bottom