• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Don't forget to add a 20 round mag for that walkabout...

projectm2.jpg

Wow, what kind of gun is that? Is that a mauser? Very cool rifle!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    with nasty ammo just give it a good squirt of windex when you leave the range..i have a M48 in the safe...oh...semi-auto walkabout....:D

20frb74.jpg

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    i bought one for 130 bucks thinking it was a deal....wasnt worth :poop:

i actually lost money when i tried to sell it.

my advice on mausers is if it doesnt have nazi markings. walk away

Walk away? I wouldn't go that far. Plenty of good mauser rifles out there. I've got a M98S made on chinese contract. Nationalist Chinese star acceptance markings, MAUSER banner on receiver, non-matching numbered bolt (unfortunately), decent bore....shoots great. Bought it over 20 years ago. I have no idea what it's worth now, but I don't mind.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    Walk away? I wouldn't go that far. Plenty of good mauser rifles out there. I've got a M98S made on chinese contract. Nationalist Chinese star acceptance markings, MAUSER banner on receiver, non-matching numbered bolt (unfortunately), decent bore....shoots great. Bought it over 20 years ago. I have no idea what it's worth now, but I don't mind.

from my experience with mausers having a turk, vz24, and mitchells, walk away if you want some decent resale value. they may be great shooters but in the end it is a 100-150 dollar gun, unless he is going to keep it and resale value or money isnt a problem then by all means buy it. :twocents:

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The M48 is not a collector by any means, there are a lot of them out there. Still, if it has not been neglected it is a very good rifle. They are far from junk and make very good shooters.
    Also there is a lot of ammo available that is cheap and non-corrosive. Look at the Aim Surplus site for example. They have what you need.
    I still say buy it.

ETA Yugo ammo is corrosive. Buy Romanian.

Last edited:

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Wow, what kind of gun is that? Is that a mauser? Very cool rifle!

That started out as a standard 98 Mauser.

Barrel cut to 22 inches and recrowned
    Bolt handle cut and bent
    Drilled and tapped for scope
    Boyd stock
    Timney Trigger
    Simmons Presidential Scope
    20 round trench mag and 3 round detachable Gibbs mag

with nasty ammo just give it a good squirt of windex when you leave the range..i have a M48 in the safe...oh...semi-auto walkabout....:D

My semi auto walk-about is prettier than yours... :rockwoot:

hakim1d.jpg

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Well heres mine, I done the checkering on the foregrip. Someone started it, just never finished.:dunno: It's been sporterized, nice and handy I really like to carry it. I also shoot surplus ammo and just use windex when I'm done, or pee in it.:rofl:
    1a8f8d2f-1.jpg

Vespid_Wasp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    I have a yugo M48 that is a great rifle. I bought it as a shooter and that is all I ever intended it to do for me. I am not a collector nor am I particularly concerned about resale value.

I bought a taller front sight from Brownells and filed it down until I had the sights corrected. The Yugo mausers are zeroed at 200 meters but even taking that into consideration mine shot high. Way high. Now it shoots a couple inches high at 100 and is zeroed at 200, and the graduated sight works properly now too.

I removed the top wood from mine becuase that extra pressure on the barrel opened groups up significantly. It shoots much better now but it is not a target rifle by any means. But I can whack steel gongs out to 400 yards and it is a VERY robust rifle that I'm not afraid to carry through rain, snow and mud.

You could do a lot worse than a Mauser. If you find a German one, please don't bubba it. That is all I ask.

bore.jpg

action.jpg

compare_post.jpg

After11.jpg

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Well an update im finally able to get the rifle, meeting up with him tomarrow evening. Finally got the extra money. Ill post up some better pics when i get it to see what yall think!

Top Bottom