• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I'm wanting to build a Mosin Nagant for accuracy, but the only synthetic stocks I can seem to find are the Monte Carlo stocks by ATI. I think they look fine, but their are a lot of reviews on amazon saying that the amount of plastic that needs shaved off is ridiculous. Someone said that they all seem to have a 1/4" warp towards the end, and someone went as far as to take one and cut it off just in front of the receiver instead of dealing with the end.

So are there any better synthetic stocks for the 91/30, or are wood stocks my only choice? :dunno:

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Im getting 1.5MOA out of my sporter built 91/30 and I used the ATI stock. It is a little annoying when you have to keep test fitting the action to the stock over and over again while trimming plastic, but I feel it was worth the time invested

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Thanks for the links. I'll probably get the featherweight thumbhole pepper. I like it's color, and the thumbhole looks better imo.

And about the range, I'm thinking maybe 800 yards? :dunno:

Not really sure what it can do exactly as I've only shot shotties and .22's. Haven't actually purchased a mosin yet, as I'm working on a .22 atm but I was hoping for better stocks, which I'm glad are available. Was putting together a to-buy list essentially.

Which kinda on the topic with accuracy, what's the difference between the hex and the round recievers? I've heard that given the choice always get a hex, but is it because it was the latest model of the 91/30 or does it have a tighter bore? That sort of thing.

Thanks for the help so far. :yesway:

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Thanks for the links. I'll probably get the featherweight thumbhole pepper. I like it's color, and the thumbhole looks better imo.

And about the range, I'm thinking maybe 800 yards? :dunno:

Not really sure what it can do exactly as I've only shot shotties and .22's. Haven't actually purchased a mosin yet, as I'm working on a .22 atm but I was hoping for better stocks, which I'm glad are available. Was putting together a to-buy list essentially.

Which kinda on the topic with accuracy, what's the difference between the hex and the round recievers? I've heard that given the choice always get a hex, but is it because it was the latest model of the 91/30 or does it have a tighter bore? That sort of thing.

Thanks for the help so far. :yesway:

The problem you will have with the common refurb 91/30s is bore and chamber condition. Many have eroded chambers, frosty bores, and worn lands. In my experience these are seldom MOA rifles, especially with milsurp ammo.

If you want accuracy in a Mosin, be very selective about the bore - and then handload. You can even learn to shoot it accurately with the heavy trigger. That's a lot more important than chopping off the barrel and/or putting it in a different stock. You can find good ones in with the rest of the refurb 91/30s, but it's not as common as you might think. It is helpful to see a Mosin with a pristine bore in order to understand what you are looking for - they are out there. I do pay a bit more for my Mosins, but I don't waste my time with poor bores/chambers any more.

p.s no difference in accuracy between hex and round receivers - and the round receivers were produced last. Bore size in all Soviet 91/30s (not all Mosins) was the same.

Good luck,

Les

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    ...seldom MOA rifles, especially with milsurp ammo.

p.s no difference in accuracy between hex and round receivers - and the round receivers were produced last. Bore size in all Soviet 91/30s (not all Mosins) was the same.

Good luck,

Les

Thanks for the clarification. I don't plan to hand load, and I was going to use the milsurp ammo through the modifying process just to see how it feels to me, and then planned to use modern ammo as long as it was seemed able to take it. I'm refraining from buying any online for the bore problems, and i'm instead hoping to buy one at a shop or a show.

If I get enough posts for the classifieds before I get around to buying one I will take a look there too. Hopefully I could find a INGO member who knows that they're talking about selling one when I get to purchasing everything.

I am considering other rifles however if the mosin isn't as accurate as it seems, but I'm somewhat of a prepper, and so like many people it's the price that has attracted me. Thinking about it though, I assume most people buying one as prepping are not planning any significant modifications, and are only planning to use milsurp. In a long term survival situation against currently unknown factors scarcity of ammo is what comes to mind.

Is there a more recommended rifle for accuracy that's a higher caliber like the mosin, that is a plentiful caliber, and that I can do decent with for $600 or less? :dunno:

Edit: Maybe something along the lines of a .308 Savage?

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Brandonki
    Top Bottom