Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Our house rules YMMV

Hit alarm / call 911

Put distance between you and bad guy

Pray police arrive in time.

If, in spite of all your efforts to avoid direct confrontation with BG, BG comes looking for you, defend yourself.

Nothing you own is worth your life.

And if it's not worth the Bad Guy's life, maybe he shouldn't have entered your house.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I think the only mistake this guy made was staying on the phone with 911. You could tell at a few times he was trying to actually listen and pay attention, and she was still trying to talk with him. This divided his attention, and could have possibly cost him his life. If I am ever unfortunate enough to find myself in this situation, and have time to call 911 beforehand, I will advise them of the situation, then PUT THE PHONE DOWN. I will not try and remain on the line and speak with someone when I should be paying a lot more attention to the lowlife trying to force his way into my front door.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    first of all, the BG was working on the front door for over 5 minutes which is clear from the length of the audio. 2nd, some people have these things called garages. 3rd, if there were more people trying to get in, i think a window would be the best logical choice. otherwise you've got a group of guys all standing by one door. so maybe i should rephrase the question... what's the better response in your opinion: sitting in the dark waiting to kill someone or doing everything you can so as not to have to kill them? i understand the possibility that making your presence known could put you in more danger. i also understand that it could just as easily scare the BG off. i was trying to get opinions, not start an argument. i don't know the correct answer. that's why i was asking you guys...

And a homeowner might have to answer these questions in front of a jury.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    I don't think this is true. IIRC, you can not be sued for legally protecting yourself or a third party. IANAL but that is my understanding.

IC 35-41-3

"No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary."

I highlighted the magic word. Guess who defines what it means; hint: it's not you.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    ok... i have a question. wouldn't it have been better for this guy to make some noise to let the burglar know that he's home AND armed instead of whispering on the phone? once the break in occurs, by all means, shoot!!! but to let him think he's entering an empty house by being silent doesn't make sense to me. turn on the lights..? yell out the door that you're armed..? is it bad form or something to warn someone trying to break in to your house that he's gonna die if he crosses the threshold? it just seems this may have been avoided.:dunno:

Do the bad guys send you a letter in the mail telling you that they are going to break in to your house?

I don't see why you would owe them the same gratitude.... Right now you have the element of surprise on your side. Why would you give that away?

Maybe next time he comes back more prepared... or goes down the street and murders your Uncle Ben...

Ask Spiderman

Last edited:

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think the only mistake this guy made was staying on the phone with 911. You could tell at a few times he was trying to actually listen and pay attention, and she was still trying to talk with him. This divided his attention, and could have possibly cost him his life. If I am ever unfortunate enough to find myself in this situation, and have time to call 911 beforehand, I will advise them of the situation, then PUT THE PHONE DOWN. I will not try and remain on the line and speak with someone when I should be paying a lot more attention to the lowlife trying to force his way into my front door.

This is the first thing I thought too. I would have probably been fired had I been the dispatch. That lady was asking all kinds of questions that weren't pertinent to this guys success of defending his own home. They were questions to help the cops which I understand... but that wouldn't be my concern.

My instructions would have been... "Listen up sir... I want you to do 3 things"

1st: "Make sure your gun has a round in the chamber and the safety is not engaged. Keep your finger off the trigger and your front sight post focused on that door"

2nd: "Remain calm and keep the phone on the hook, but go ahead and sit it down on speaker phone if possible"

3rd: "If he comes through that door protect your family the best you can, help is on the way"

"Good Luck"​

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012

You are absolutely correct! If you are lucky enough to have someone with you likes spouse, you could always give them the phone. They can give dispatch the play by play.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    defend

My sister says that the BG can take whatever he needs and he will go away. He won't harm anyone if you don't fight.

umm really?
    Jason

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I often see people wanting to pass the buck, so to speak.

'I won't stop this guy, I just want him to go rob/murder/rape someone else.' That's the gist of their thought process. :xmad:

The other absurd notion is not wanting to defend your property, even where legal.

Put it another way, would you shoot someone if they were going to tie you to a chair for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for two and a half weeks?

You would? A guy with home owners/property insurance and a $1,000 deductible who makes $12.50 and hour would have to work AT LEAST two and half weeks (after taxes) to make up that deductible.

People need to get over this idiotic notion that your property doesn't represent days/weeks/years of your life. Because THAT is what the badguy is stealing, not simply an XBOX or a TV... it's no different than them strapping you to a chair and holding you hostage for a day/week/year.

People need to get their heads on strait.
    ^^This. Money is only a proxy for time. There is a word for taking the fruit of someone else's labor without compensation. That word is slavery.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    If only there were laws preventing people from kicking in other people's doors...

There are...

guns_pack.png

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    "...police say the intruder was shot in the face and trunk..."

Did a ****ing elephant break into his house? ;)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My sister says that the BG can take whatever he needs and he will go away. He won't harm anyone if you don't fight.

umm really?
    Jason

Maybe you need to show her a few of these.

- Post-Tribune

“It’s tragic what life is coming to,” Smith said. “To kill a man over a couple of TVs and a car, that’s just material stuff, man. To put that over someone’s life is just crazy.”

Search On For Invaders Who Terrorized Merrillville Couple « CBS Chicago

Police in Merrillville are searching for three men who terrorized an elderly couple in their home during an afternoon robbery last week..

Top Bottom