• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    *I put this in long guns because there are more people here familiar with 922r*

So while thinking about a Draco SBR build I remembered some people talking about 922r when building Saigas. My question is do Dracos fall under 922r? and if so, how many 922r parts do they have?
    (I have been using Shooting Enthusiast - Understanding 18 USC 922R to try to understand 922r a little bit)
    Any help on this would be great. Thanks.

If I am reading it right, there are 15 "compliance parts" on the Draco (the regular 16 for an AK minus the butstock) and I can only have 10 so I would have to replace 5 parts. Technically a magazine is 3 and a Palm industries grip and MI rail would be another 2 leaving me with 10. Is this right?

Also I know this is kind of a "class 3 question" but do I have to be 922r before converting to a SBR?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    922(r) only deals with long guns. Pistols do not fall under the imported "semi-automatic assault rifle" ban.

If you want to convert it to a so-called short barreled rifle, there are is a letter out by ATF that states that even SBRs fall under 922(r) conflicting with a letter out that the NFA exempts SBRs from 922(r) so even ATF is getting tripped up by their own unconstitutional rules.

For all, 922(r) has been rewritten as Title 27 CFR 478.39 but 922(r) is also used and apparently interchangeable.

So yes, to be safe, if converting the Draco, you would need to replace 5 imported parts to keep the parts count to the 10 imported maximum number. It is hard to believe that the mag counts as 3 parts!

Last edited:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Sorry, I amended my answer because even ATF can't make up it's mind as to what they call legal, so to be safe I recommend staying within the parts count section of the new second amendment.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Fair enough. I am not %100 sure how dependable that website I linked to is, but they say that the regular AK has 16 imported parts (including the buttstock), so I am assuming that the Draco has 15 since it is not imported with a buttstock. I was also surprised that the mag was 3 parts, but the article I linked to said that he doesn't recommend using the mags as compliance parts since they can be swapped so easily.

But it is good to know that I don't have to worry about 922r until I convert it to an SBR. Thanks for the help so far, and if anyone else knows anything more about 922r feel free to chime in.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    In truth, the milled receiver AK with threaded barrel has 15 countable parts. The stamped AKM with threaded barrel has 16 countable parts. I am not that familiar with the Draco since it is more an American idea than a true Mr. Kalashnikov one, but if the barrel is threaded, and you do convert to a rifle, then yes you have 16 countable parts.

The sad thing about this is it is testimony to how stupid this country has degraded to, to allow an organization to step all over the supreme law of the land, and come up with a rule that is about the stupidest ever written. No judge in the USA would argue that the end result of a firearm has nothing to do with where the parts were made, and that a US part replacing an imported part has no affect on the overall function, and end use of that firearm. Yet ATF not only still has it on it's books, but rewrote it again in Title 27!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I agree with what you are saying for sure. I can understand (notice i did not say agree with) the regulating of select fire weapons and suppressors, as in the hands of the wrong people they could be more devastating than unsuppressed or semi auto weapons. But regulating what parts can go on a gun seems way out there. The country that makes the parts has no effect on the way the gun fires. It seems to take away from the freedom of being able to do whatever you want to your own property. They would never tell you that your imported car has to have no more than 10 imported parts.
    I agree this is stupid, but regardless, I do not want to break the law while trying to just have some fun and modify a gun.

Top Bottom