92fs:Why is it I leave the LGS without one yet again?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I was on the way home from work so made a small detour in order to drive by the LGS and peruse their stock. I saw quite a few(in comparison to other brands) Glocks. I saw quite a few 40 cal of various makes. I saw 4ish MP9c's. Very few revolvers or 9mm of any kind.

I was almost out the door, when I struck a conversation with staff about the 92fs INOX. He said that last week, he had (1) and (2) 92fs. They then looked in the backroom and found one of the 92fs. I had my hands on that thing for sometime and handed it back. This is not the first time that I have done this there with this particular model.

What is bothering me on this that I won't "pull the trigger" and buy one? Is it the aluminum frame? The sights(dotting the I is problematic when it is one big blur), Front sight integral with the strap? Purpose of this purchase(I have an EDC)? I really want a Sig 226 elite(and enhanced-note contradiction with the first pondered "question")? I really want a Sig 220?

What I do know is that I always regret not buying one after I have left the LGS and know that tomorrow, this one will be gone...

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a PT99, not the same, but similar. The thing is built like a tank. It chews up anything I feed it, and it's at least as accurate as I am.

It would be my considered opinion that you would not be sorry you made the purchase, and if you are, you can always sell it. You'll never know if you don't try.

Now, don't blame me if/when you make the purchase. You know you want it.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Got a question- the standard 92FS in either Inox (stainless) or Bruniton (black) have a three dot sight system. The M9 version has the dot and post. You saying the sighting system bothered you tells me it was the M9 version of the 92FS which also has a higher resale value and being the civilian version of the military issue pistol is very desirable even though the only main differences are the roll marks, shape of the frame and the sights.

The Inox holds it's value very well. They are usually harder to come by and for that reason hold their value.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    i have owned 4 and sold them all..they are pretty but ungainly as far as i am concerned..they seem to cycle slowly after shooting other pistols...might be springs or grip but they are not for me

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If you find yourself always leaving without that Beretta, here's what you do: before you go to the LGS next time, watch every John Woo movie you can find, marathon style. If that doesn't have you wanting a Beretta enough to slap the plastic on the counter, nothing will.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Got a question- the standard 92FS in either Inox (stainless) or Bruniton (black) have a three dot sight system. The M9 version has the dot and post. You saying the sighting system bothered you tells me it was the M9 version of the 92FS which also has a higher resale value and being the civilian version of the military issue pistol is very desirable even though the only main differences are the roll marks, shape of the frame and the sights...

I noted that as well but the factory box read 92fs?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Interesting! Is it a new 92FS or used? If used the previous owner could have changed the rear sight.

Now you are going to make me do some research of variations of variations! :D

Seriously, Beretta has made over 100 versions of the Series 92 since the original in 1976 so nothing really would surprise me.

Just checked a couple of boxes from my Berettas and the 92FS says "3 dot" on it but the M9 box says nothing.

Very interesting!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I bought a 92 INOX and never looked back. I, like you, eyeballed em for a long long time. When I first felt that I needed to have one I was a broke college student living in my car. The means to purchase were what kept me away. Once that restriction was lifted, I bought one and would recommend anyone else to do the same.

Only complaint I have is that if your hands can't be described as massive/xxl/hamfists the grip don't fit. I'm 6'3" and I feel like my hands are at the small end of the spectrum of glove sizes that match the 92's grip. But then again, I'm primarily a revolver guy that makes exception for some single stacks... and the 92fs.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I have owned 2 and traded them both, not for a lack of love though. I guess both times I let them go it was the pistol I liked least in my safe. But I still get a yearning for one now like always, I feel your pain. They look cool, shoot nicely, and function great. If i find a used one for a good price I will have another, would like the M9 variant. Watch the Lethal weapon movies, that will help!

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    I'll just chime in the 92FS is my favorite non polymer frame pistol. The gun is big and heavy yes but it makes it a pleasure to shoot on the range. I currently own two..one in Bruniton "black" the other is an Inox "stainless". The nice thing about Berettas is the parts are 100% interchangeable. Mine can swap parts from either gun. One is U.S the other Italian but again the parts interchange no problem.

I also love how simple they are for field stripping and cleaning. My :twocents:

Lagrange

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Lagrange, IN.
    I dont own one now, but I did have an M9. I loved it, but didnt shoot it very often. I have noticed that the price for these has gone up significantly since I had mine. Is this the result of the gun ban issue...?
    I do however own a 96 vertec (spell?) that I love to shoot. I dont see myself loosing this one anytime soon. I wouldnt mind finding a used M9 for a reasonable price somewhere down the road.
    To me the Beretta's are attractive guns and well made. The hard part is if you are like me, I worked hard for the money I have and probably wont have that amount available again for a while so I want to make my purchase decision count.
    I dont mind walking out of the gun store thinking I wish I had bought the gun more than the thought of wishing I had not done it.
    I've looked around and havent found the money tree yet.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I put off the purchase of a 92fs for a long time, many years in fact. It was one I always had on my "to get" list and today I finally did it. I walked out with a standard 92fs and can't wait to get it to the range.

kinorton

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I just purchased a M9 of my friend not to long ago, the great part is it came with 9 magazines. Purfect to have all the magazines for the range. I have kinda fallen in love with Berretta after I purchased a PX4 Storm for my EDC.

Hal42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2011
    I think mayhaps the answer is the 92fs compact they're showing off at shotshow? It could be the compromise of everything you've been looking for and will still accept 92fs full size magazines.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I sold my M&P 9mm and bought a 92FS Inox made in Italy and never looked back. The heft and feel of the Beretta is fantastic and the piece is just ultra reliable and it shoots like a charm. I just bought a set of factory walnut grips with the Beretta logo and the pistol is gorgeous. Buy one and enjoy!

Top Bottom