• ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I had no idea the po-po could arrest you for any traffic violation and then have free reign to search your vehicle....that sucks

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I had no idea the po-po could arrest you for any traffic violation and then have free reign to search your vehicle....that sucks

I believe that it varies state to state. The case he cites Atwater happened in TX, which virtually all traffic violations are misdemeanors, I believe jaywalking is even considered a misdemeanor. In IN that is not the case, most are civil infractions and not criminal with the usual exceptions such as reckless driving/dui/hit and run/driving on a suspended license/etc.

IANAL and if someone who is or a LEO or anyone has case law or cites stating otherwise I will be glad to be educated.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I believe that it varies state to state. The case he cites Atwater happened in TX, which virtually all traffic violations are misdemeanors, I believe jaywalking is even considered a misdemeanor. In IN that is not the case, most are civil infractions and not criminal with the usual exceptions such as reckless driving/dui/hit and run/driving on a suspended license/etc.

IANAL and if someone who is or a LEO or anyone has case law or cites stating otherwise I will be glad to be educated.

This is correct, no arrest for infractions in Indiana. It states very clearly in the IC that the maximum you receive is a court summons/fine.

YukYuPhat

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2010
    Greencastle, IN
    But it all goes back to what was said in the PDF. Don't give consent, and keep yourself and vehicle "clean" of probable cause. Also, keep records, preferably recordings, of interactions with LEO's. But the easiest way of not having problems with LEOs is knowing the law, and not breaking the law.

Top Bottom