• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    What would it take to make a 1911 in 45acp shoot 9mm as well? I have not researched it, just a thought while loading up for the range and noticing I have a lot more 9mm rounds than 45s.

Barrel and bushing, recoil spring, mag, ejector.....anything else other than fitting it to the slide? Hmm. If it doesn't "require" gunsmithing maybe I have found a decent Winter project.

If you have a good link, by all means, post it.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Let me clarify. It is a 45acp now. I have so much 9mm around (and cheaper) that I would like to shoot 9mm in it as well without buying another gun. Kind of wanting to "tinker". So what parts do I need to replace so that I can shoot 9mm.

Sorry for the confusion.

vetteboy73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Columbus, IN
    Hey Guys,

Watch the fact that MOST 9mm, 1911 barrels are ramped differently than the 45, and that MOST frames are NOT relieved for this.....

Just something to watch - don't want you to get stuck with a barrel that won't fit your frame.

Good luck.

farmboy365

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   1
    Dec 22, 2008
    NE Indiana
    I would buy everything you listed plus a slide so you can easily switch back and forth you can probably buy a upper asimbuly.I have a 9mm 1911 and it's a joy to shoot low recoil and cheep to shot.but as they say.A 9mm may expand buy a 45 does not shrink!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I think it will be tough to do and make it reliable unless the slide is also changed. 9mm and 45 ACP have significantly different breech faces.

If you want to shoot both, build a new top end. Make sure your 9mm top end has the same ramp as your 45 frame is cut for (no ramp, Wilson/Nowlin, or Para/Clark). If you need a smith to do it, call Neil Kustom Ballistics

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Go get a GSG 1911 and shoot .22 LR. Even cheaper than 9mm shooting (although I realize you indicate having a stock pile of 9mm), good for training for those folks that carry a 1911, and they have a good rep especially here on INGO.

You could look into an AA kit for the 1911, but the GSG would give you a complete gun for about the same price as an AA 1911 .22 conversion.

Top Bottom