• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    I visited a couple of places today to look at handguns and one of the guys asked a question that I haven't given any thought over b/c, to be honest, this is all new to me. He asked what I wanted to shoot as far as ammo size.

So I pose this question: What size to you prefer and why?

Thanks for your input,
    n00b

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    This discussion usually turns into arguments based on one fact or another...

the short answer is, If you can shoot a 9mm into a 2.5" group at 25 yards, and a .45acp into a 5" group at 25 yards, you should likely carry the 9mm

all three will do the job. not one of them comes close to a rifle or shotgun when people start talking about "Stopping power" My friend Jon, who spent 8 years in the Army, another 6 in the guard, and is the son of an Army Ranger would tell you. A Pistol is only useful for fighting your way to a rifle.

That said, Shot placement trumps caliber every day of every week.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I feel well armed with 9mm, .40 S&W, or .45acp.

Just having a reliable gun with you when you need one trumps caliber concerns, in my opinion.

Tonight I am carrying .45acp; tomorrow may be something different................. :do2:

shamowfski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Also depends on what you want to do with it. Since I only target shoot, I went with 9mm because it's cheapest.

Erebus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Indy
    I would like to target shoot at least twice a month. From what I understand 9mm is the most affordable ammo. I will need to get to the range and shoot each :)

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    I use to be one of those guys who said "anything less than a .45 is for plinking". But over the years with the improvements in available ammo and the rising costs of ammo, I have changed my mind. I got rid of my Sig 220 .45 and now using a 9mm for most of my needs.
    I can put more rounds on target with the 9 than I could with the .45. The 9mm is cheaper to shoot therefore I know I will be able to practice more too. The .40 I have never owned 1 but I figure it fits the bill right in the middle of the 2 previously mentioned. I would feel confident with any of the 3 in my holster.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I chose 9mm for a couple reasons:

1. Capacity - I like having 16 rounds on tap, instead of 7 or 8. I know, "shot placement is key", but I still like having the extra.

2. Size - going .45 in a Glock sure gets chunky for my stubby hands.

3. Shootability - I personally like the lower recoil of the 9mm. Keeps me practicing longer.

4. Cost - if I'm going to practice, I need a round that isn't going to put a hole in my pocket (pun intended).

5. Availability - 9mm is plentiful, and will be around for a long time.

The .40SW is a great compromise between the 9mm and .45ACP. Same size gun, almost same capacity, recoil is manageable. Just a bit more expensive than 9mm and not as widely available. But a great inbetween round.

It all comes down to personal preference. Shoot the 9mm. Shoot the .40SW. Shoot the .45ACP. Pick what fits you. Then practice, practice, practice.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Believe me when I say I have either owned or shot most of the major calibers and what I have learned is exactly what Lars (W9ZEB) quoted. With that said, I shoot a 9mm but prefer a .45 or magnum caliber.

duboismd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I have both 9mm and 45. Carry both and am comfortable with both. I find myself ccw the 9mm more based on comfort. In addition, I tend to practice more with 9mm based on ammo cost.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Remember that many guns are available in multiple calibers.

For instance:

Smith & Wesson's M&P semi-autos are available in 9mm, .40, and .45ACP.

Glock offers even more caliber choices.

Also, I know 1911 style semi-autos are at least available in .45ACP, .38 super, 9mm, and even .22LR in a few cases.

Get your hands around as many guns as you can to feel the grip. See which ones come in which caliber, then see if you can rent some of your choices or go shooting with someone you know.

Kind of in the same boat you are
    Though I know the few guns I have, I'm learning anew as my fiance wants to buy and shoot her own. Amazing how things have changed when I didn't pay much attention to what's new out there.

People keep telling me you won't lose too badly if you buy a gun and don't like it, but I still think an educated decision is a better bet.

Last edited:

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    9mmvs40vs45uy5.gif

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    If it were up to me. I'd CCW a 12 gauge loaded with #1 Buck Shot, with those new Tungsten balls.

of course it's a bit difficult to conceal a 12 gauge ;)

I do plan on carrying the USP Tactical once I get my license. Sure it's big but that's not all that bad.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    If it were up to me. I'd CCW a 12 gauge loaded with #1 Buck Shot, with those new Tungsten balls.

of course it's a bit difficult to conceal a 12 gauge ;)

I do plan on carrying the USP Tactical once I get my license. Sure it's big but that's not all that bad.

Well......................You plan to carry your HK in a bag, why not get an AOW!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    pakman415
    Top Bottom