• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This carbine looks very interesting. What's the disadvantage to having a rifle in a pistol caliber vs a more typical rifle caliber?

Power. If you are going to go to a rifle for more range, why not up the caliber to a rifle round to optimize the weapon? Why get a long gun that could reach out to 500yd+ yet run a caliber that wont be effective/accurate at that range? (or even get that far before it fizzles and drops)

But they do have their place. I REALLY like mine. Was out with Haven and another friend ringing steel at 150yd with my 9mm at Proteq.

For me its an addition to my arsenal for specific purposes like competition. It augments but does not replace a rifle. If I had to choose ONE to take with me I'd take my 223 over my 9mm AR.

For home defense, a PCC might not be a bad idea, or if you wanted a long gun to compliment your sidearm and only have to carry one caliber. But barring that, go rifle caliber.

Last edited:

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I in the process of building an ar style 9mm carbine that uses colt mags and I can't wait to shoot it!!!! It will serve as a fun gun and rifle for my kids to learn with, super pumped!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Power. If you are going to go to a rifle for more range, why not up the caliber to a rifle round to optimize the weapon? Why get a long gun that could reach out to 500yd+ yet run a caliber that wont be effective/accurate at that range? (or even get that far before it fizzles and drops)

But they do have their place. I REALLY like mine. Was out with Haven and another friend ringing steel at 150yd with my 9mm at Proteq.

For me its an addition to my arsenal for specific purposes like competition. It augments but does not replace a rifle. If I had to choose ONE to take with me I'd take my 223 over my 9mm AR.

For home defense, a PCC might not be a bad idea, or if you wanted a long gun to compliment your sidearm and only have to carry one caliber. But barring that, go rifle caliber.
    For self-defense purposes the pistol caliber carbine is not a bad choice IMHO. The distances are close to moderate. I'll admit that it is mostly for fun, however. I might grab my pistol caliber carbine if placed in a position like the good guy in Sutherland Springs, TX. My mags would be pre-loaded though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For self-defense purposes the pistol caliber carbine is not a bad choice IMHO. The distances are close to moderate. I'll admit that it is mostly for fun, however. I might grab my pistol caliber carbine if placed in a position like the good guy in Sutherland Springs, TX. My mags would be pre-loaded though.

On that point, it will be really interesting to hear where the gunman was hit and what rounds were used. Two hits and he was still able to function pretty well for a while.

But I digress. Carry on.

/threadjack

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    On that point, it will be really interesting to hear where the gunman was hit and what rounds were used. Two hits and he was still able to function pretty well for a while.

But I digress. Carry on.

/threadjack
    According to the good guy interview by Crowder, the good guy aimed and struck the bad guy in the side in the area unprotected by the ballistic vest the bad guy was wearing. The bad guy was also hit in the leg. I'm speculating, but believe that the good guy was shooting .223 ammo. If FMJ, it wouldn't be surprising that the bad guy was able to continue on for a time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    According to the good guy interview by Crowder, the good guy aimed and struck the bad guy in the side in the area unprotected by the ballistic vest the bad guy was wearing. The bad guy was also hit in the leg. I'm speculating, but believe that the good guy was shooting .223 ammo. If FMJ, it wouldn't be surprising that the bad guy was able to continue on for a time.

Thanks. My final word is make sure you keep at least one mag loaded. Not necessarily with the guns, but loaded and ready nearby. It was heartbreaking hearing that he had to stop and load a mag before he was able to take action. I no longer feel paranoid keeping at least one mag per gun type loaded and ready to go.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks. My final word is make sure you keep at least one mag loaded. Not necessarily with the guns, but loaded and ready nearby. It was heartbreaking hearing that he had to stop and load a mag before he was able to take action. I no longer feel paranoid keeping at least one mag per gun type loaded and ready to go.
    I was thinking the same thing. I'll bet the good guy has kicked himself many times about that very issue.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

One mag?

LOL

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    attachment.php

I got this done for $750, woohoo!

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville
    I too am looking this way... my LGS has 1 FX-9 in stock (at least it was)... Just not quite sure about the "reduced size" components. The charging handle is smaller (proprietary?), the trigger group had problems early on (its still new BTW)... BUT the proce is right and takes "G" mags.

Do you mind sharing what LGS had this in stock? I'm one that always prefers to hold and inspect something before I buy.

510picker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2017
    Martinsville

What distances can you accurately shoot a 9mm AR at? Same question for .223/5.56?

Top Bottom