9mm AR pistol build plans, your thoughts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    So after many many hours drooling over everyone's 9mm AR's, I have decided it is time to build my own. I bought my first two AR's, and I want to build this one. I have done a lot of research and looked a lot of places for different parts. My intentions for this gun are that it will be a pistol to shoot and have fun with, and who knows, maybe it will have a couple of tax stamps added for a butt-stock and a suppressor. I would love to hear your questions, comments, and concerns on this build as this site has so much good information to offer from it's users. So here you go

ST-15 stripped rifle lower with safe/semi/auto bullet markings [STLS012] - $99.00 : Spikes Tactical

ST Lower Parts Kit (NOT Installed) [SLPK101] - $69.95 : Spikes Tactical

Spike's Tactical Pistol Buffer tube assembly [SLA500P-K] - $59.95 : Spikes Tactical

ST-9BS [SLA09BS] - $14.95 : Spikes Tactical

Hahn Magwell adapter for sten mags - 85.00
    Sten 9mm Adapter

CMMG 9mm upper - 649.95
    9mm 7.3" MedCon Upper w/Carbine Length 4 Rail (No Sights), www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon

I'll worry about sights later on down the road as I will probably put some sort of optics on top. I'm choosing to with the sten adapter because I have seen that sten mags are much cheaper and easier to find. Your turn INGO, let's here it

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    My 9mm build was very similar to that, only I went with the spikes 9mm lower-block (I had a few of the 9mm colt mags already or I would have gone with a sten one), a bushmaster hammer, and a gemtec talon upper. I love it to death (waiting on stamp returns to put a butt-stock on it). Im sure someone more knowledge than I can chime in here, but I was told that normal 5.56 hammers won't work in a 9mm build and lead to horrific jams.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    The CMMG upper states to only use a 5.56 hammer, not to use a 9mm one. Thats another reason I went with it, this way I can change uppers without any other troubles.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    So what would it be that makes the 9mm upper so expensive compared to others? I know Rock River makes a .40 call upper but they still have never responded to any of my inquiries as to what I need to do to my lower to make it work.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    What makes the upper able to work with regular hammers is the fact it is ramped.

I just picked up my ADCO BCG and Hahn mag block for my build.

rem338um

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    lafayette,IN
    make it nfa

Yes they look cool and sounds like a good idea but,,Put a butt stock on it and make it an SBR...or just use your Glock w a 30 rnd clip in it... to get the same results. They are very awkward to hold and shoot accurately..

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Yes they look cool and sounds like a good idea but,,Put a butt stock on it and make it an SBR...or just use your Glock w a 30 rnd clip in it... to get the same results. They are very awkward to hold and shoot accurately..

I thought it was a good idea till I got mine...

Either way you have to wait so why not shoot it as a pistol for a while?

Top Bottom