• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Posted a target on here a few days back where my 9mm was shooting low (still not done sighting in), and had a reply on either this board or CZ Forum saying that going from a 115 gr. to a 124 gr. would raise my POI because of the longer time in the barrel for the heavier bullet.
    Does anyone know how much it would raise the POI at 15 yards?

I've Googled ballistics data, and it just shows drop, if zerod at 25, the 124 drops another .1 in at 50 than the 115 gr., but that doesn't answer my question...

Bought a couple boxes of Fiocchi 124 gr. on sale today, so next time I can go shoot gonna try them out, and hopefully borrow my dads rest to help take the "operator" out of the process a little more...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Too many variables, barrel length weight of gun how hard you are gripping it, etc. Just buy a boix and see how they shoot. If shooting off of bags or a rest, that will take some of the difference out as well. Shoot like you normally would to see how much it changes POI.

But yes, slower heavier bullets do tend to hit higher at normal pistol ranges due to longer dwell time and heavier recoil pointing the muzzle higher before the bullet leaves the barrel. Or, you could just file the front sight down some. Works for Single Action revolvers for the past 130+ years!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well the barrel length is 4.75", two hand hold.
    I also have a new factory front sight on the way to make into a "dot" sight (the one on the gun is plain black) and file on if I need to. I don't think I'm out of adjustment yet, I only had time to run 3 mags through, and wasn't the best day for me to be shooting (shaky from weedeater work beforehand), but I'll shoot the 124 and see what happens. Just seems like 115 is by FAR the easiest to find locally. Everywhere I looked that sold ammo in town only had 115, except my local shop, because they're only open 3 days a week...
    Went to MC Sports in Bloomington today and they had 115 gr., two brands of 124 gr. (Fiocchi and... PMC?) and even a 158 gr. subsonic...
    Man I miss Big Blue stores...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    EAA Witness Elite Match 9mm

Aside from being 2-tone finish, I love it so far, only shot it once, but I haven't shot centerfire pistol very often, and it shoots better than anything else I've tried. (Ruger P-series, Ultrastar, Beretta 92)

Couldn't find a dealer around here that had them, bought it online, and found 2 of them a MC Sports in Bloomington today, a 9mm and .40, decent price on them too, only $10 more than I paid, and between shipping ($20)and transfer fee ($20), sales tax would have made them pretty much even, heh.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You are right about 124 being harder to find in the Mart-Mart stores, however online it is easier. Ammoman has 124gr Winchester Ranger for $159.00 for 500 delivered to your door and Winchester 147gr for $149.00 for 500 delivered.

Of course getting into reloading will give you the best savings as well as being able to tune your loads to your sights.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    It its off more than an inch or so, then something is wrong. A handgun shouldn't shoot WAY off strait from the box - its not like a scoped rifle.

I have had owned over 30 handgun, and fired man many more in the short years I have been legal allowed to purchase them.... I have NEVER had any handgun shoot more than an inch or so from POA out of the box.

If your shooting WAY low, your either messing up your grip (breaking wrist, or trigger slapping) or your front sight is too tall.

I've also never seen any significant difference in impact between bullet weights at reasonable distances; 10 or 15 yards shouldn't make a difference... Unless your shooting beyond 30 yards, this shouldn't be an issue.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Well, the general principle here is correct due to internal ballistics and transit time (in the barrel) during recoil. It's easy to see even in 2" snubbies.

But, as some have said, too many variables to tell exactly how much effect it will have. Just expect some effect, try it out, and see what happens.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Well my dad has all the supplies to reload, just a workbench that's buried. Went through the other day and he has at least 3 large coffee cans of once-fired 9mm brass, probably 5k small pistol primers, and who knows how much powder. We didn't did deeper to see how many bullets he has, because he's got an ammo can with probably 2k rounds loaded up already, again, 115gr.
    I told him when it cools down a bit, lets get that bench cleaned off so I can start loading some!
    Out of the box it was shooting maybe 4" low at 15 yards, and when I mentioned it in my range report, KokomoDave says Witnesses were notorious for shooting low... This is my first one, so still learning.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/107850-range_report_witness_elite_match.html

oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Mine seems to shoot slightly high and to the left, but I think that is mostly me. 10 shot groups at 7 yds are about 3 inches, two hand hold, no rest. Mine is also .40. Good luck!

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Yeah, I think once I get out and am less shaky after working and such, it'll be a lot better, also going to grab a rest to make sure the sights are the best they can be, then start working on me... Just don't have as much opportunity as I'd like, if I had my choice, I'd throw 50 or 100 rounds down the range every weekend, instead of every other month or less...

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    You might check into one of EAA's .22LR conversion uppers for it so you can get out to the range more often!

Yeah, thought about that too, but time is probably a bigger issue, I don't often have a lot in the way of child care, and my son isn't ready to go to the range yet... Attention span, listening, typical 3 year old stuff.

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I have had owned over 30 handgun, and fired man many more in the short years I have been legal allowed to purchase them.... I have NEVER had any handgun shoot more than an inch or so from POA out of the box.

At what range?

If your gun isn't shooting where you want it to, just change the sights. Installing adjustable sights will give you the ability to change it whenever you want, as well.

hschmidt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Hi there

a friend of mine helped me out to see if i had a problem with the gun or my shooting - turns out it was my shooting.. he fed me a dummy round ramdomly in the mag and just watche where the gun moved when i shot and he could see that i was clearly pulling it down on the blank round (one of the orange plastic dummies).. mind, the trigger was crap on the gun i was shooting, but accurate when shot properly

just a thought

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    If you, are shooting low, sounds like you may be slapping the trigger. Try shooting off of a sandbag. Or have someone else shoot it. See if you, get the same results. A drill, you can try at home, to help with trigger squeeze is this. Put a penny on the front sight. Squeeze the trigger, without making the penny fall off. I can not speak for the EA pistols. However, every other 9mm I have shot. Had, the same POI, no matter what grain rounds I shot out of it.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Mine seems to shoot slightly high and to the left, but I think that is mostly me. 10 shot groups at 7 yds are about 3 inches, two hand hold, no rest. Mine is also .40. Good luck!

High and left. Sounds like, you may be anticipating the recoil. Which is causing you to jerk up and left. Let the firearm do the work. Just, focus on the front sight and squeeze the trigger.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    If you, are shooting low, sounds like you may be slapping the trigger. Try shooting off of a sandbag. Or have someone else shoot it. See if you, get the same results. A drill, you can try at home, to help with trigger squeeze is this. Put a penny on the front sight. Squeeze the trigger, without making the penny fall off. I can not speak for the EA pistols. However, every other 9mm I have shot. Had, the same POI, no matter what grain rounds I shot out of it.

Yeah, thinking I might sneak to the range on Wednesday morning when mom is watching my son, heh... Need to go over and grab dad's adjustable sandbag rest... And hope the range has a "range officer" available so I can shoot...

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2010
    New Castle
    Yes differant wt bullets will hit differant . Thats why I generally stick yo one weight in rifle especially and sight in for that . even differant brand or wt .22 bullets will all shoot differant groups ,right left up or down. At 15 yards I mix & match differant weights in a pistol because it doesnt matter at that range

Round Ball

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2010
    Northern Ind.
    The thing I didn't see was did you shoot from a rest or off hand anytime I shoot a newgun I first shoot off a rest so I know where it is shooting. Then off hand is easier to adjust

Top Bottom