• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    I've been looking at a couple 9mm carbines. What are your thoughts on the hi point vs the Keltec sub 2000? It would be for plinking out to 50 yards.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Either would do what you want. You don't need to spend much $$ if you're only going to be shooting at 50 yards. Buy whatever one you'd like.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

Do you currently own a Glock pistol?

You can get the KelTec carbines that are "Glock mag compatible"...

Can also get them in S&W 59 mag compatible, Beretta 92, and Sig226 compatible.

Try THAT with a HighPoint...

-J-

sweddle

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    I just bought the S2k this past weekend (I bought it in .40 though). I researched HP vs KT over and over. Most comparisons/ threads that I found went one of 3 ways;
    1. HP owners chose HP
    2. KT owners chose KT
    3. Non owners bashed both of them because they were "cheap" (affordable)
    There were a few other opinions, but the majority went 1 of the 3 ways.

IMO, the HP is easier to mod & accessorize. The KT is fold-able and the KT I bought takes the G22 31 cap mag. Everything I have read says that they are both accurate at decent range, dependable and both have life time warranties (the HP is x-ferrable and the KT is original owner). I read great things about sending the HP in for warranty work and receiving a like new (sometimes new) firearm in return, plus an extra mag. I also read a place or two that said even though they were not the original owner, KT made good on the warranty.

I finally decided to get one and try it. I figure if I don't like, I can trade it or sell it and get the other one!

Hope you enjoy whichever one you choose!

luvall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Noblesville
    I have the HiPoint 995TS and it is a blast! Most indoor ranges will let you shoot it and it always draws a crowd. Everytime I take it out, someone wants to give it a try and they love it too. For 50 yards, an inexpensive red dot would be great and it could double as home security. HP home sells laser, light, and fore grips at dirt cheap prices (not the best quality but fits the nature of the gun) and shipping from HP is free. HP has a life-time warranty and is one of the best in the business. Just don't put an ATI stock on an HP - HP is going nuts over warranty issues related to ATI after markets so that could get ugly. You can get an old 995 and buy the TS stock from HP (cheap) and the warranty is still good. They literally will fix about anything that goes wrong with a gun as long as ATI isn't used. HP also makes a 40 cal and now makes the long awaited 45 cal version.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I really enjoyed my KT, but sold it. I may look into getting another after I get my 9mm AR pistol.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    high point - only 10 rd mags? Kel tec accepts other manufacturers' high capacity.

Does anyone know of high capacity mags for High Point 9 mm that work?

I am also considering KT or HP....gotta love the HP on pricing. There are some pretty cool pix of modifications out there.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I have a 995. Promag 99% of the time makes terrible products. But in the desperate need for an extra 5 rounds I decided to try the promags. I have had a few failures with one of the two I bought. I wouldnt trust my life to the 15 round magazines, but not too bad for the range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I've had a Colt 9mm Carbine for over 20yrs. I know it's not one of the guns you asked about but I really love it. Got a Beta mag for it last year but haven't tried it out yet. 9mm Carbines are great fun! :D

cherrynutz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Bremen
    Mech Tech CCU

I have a Glock 19 and bought the MechTech Carbine conversion unit for it. I read a lot of mixed reviews, but to me it is well worth the money. Very well made and you get two guns out of it. Easy as taking apart your Glock and putting the frame on the CCU. Wanna carry the Glock? Just take it off and throw your slide back on. Awesome gun and shoots great.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I just bought the S2k this past weekend (I bought it in .40 though). I researched HP vs KT over and over. Most comparisons/ threads that I found went one of 3 ways;
    1. HP owners chose HP
    2. KT owners chose KT
    3. Non owners bashed both of them........
    You missed a few

4. Beretta owners choose Beretta but like the KT concept
    5. Glock owners choose KT
    6. AR project lovers choose AR uppers
    7. Jews choose Uzi
    8. Rednecks choose MAC's
    9. Some love Sterlings while others want Sten

We own Glocks so we went with a KT. For the overall price none are better than the Beretta Storm. AR SBR's are sweet.

As for HP, I personally could never own any HP product.

As for the KT, we got one of the infamous "front sight is canted" models. A known problem. Gun has to go back to be fixed. In my case, I removed the front sight. That can be a point for the HP.

The HP will be easier to jazz up. If you want to add anything to the KT, the ability to fold will fight you from the start. Keep the KT simple or spend money on it to make it more like............other guns. Guns you can buy for the same $$ when you compare KT base price plus cost of add ons, and they will shoot better.

Folds and uses your hi cap handgun mags, KT wins. If these are non issues for you, I say get something else. KT has a lot of recoil in a 3lb gun so not fun for high round count days on some shooters.

Last edited:

mdh11292

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Whiteland
    Thanks for the input. I like the Berreta, but it was a little more than I was willing to spend. That is what got me looking at the HP in the first place (ATI conversion). Has anyone had experience with the ATI stock causing the gun to break?
    The fact that the Keltec will use Glock hicap mags is a bonus.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I have a 9mm Sub2k. I like it. I had some problems with the site, but KelTec made good on it, and did so hassle free. I would buy another one, if I had a reason to. If you are in Northern Indiana, I would be happy to meet you someplace to shoot and let you run some rounds through it. The high capacity mags were one reason that I bought the KelTec, BTW. I have three 33 round mags, and 3 17 round mags, so I can shoot a full 150 rounds before needing to go through the hassle of loading them. The only thing that isnt good about the gun is going through all that ammo!

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    I have a KT and a HP. I like the HP better. Mag cap/compatabilty isn't a killer issue for me tho'. I like being able to shoot +P and not void my warranty . The new Pro-Mag Model HIP-A3 15rd mags work fine in the HP. The KT needs more TLC in my experience and if you want to hang much on it it can get expensive because of the cost of quadrail forearms and so on. Check KT's factory store and the reviews on KTOG in regard to pimping.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    I have a Glock 19 and bought the MechTech Carbine conversion unit for it. I read a lot of mixed reviews, but to me it is well worth the money. Very well made and you get two guns out of it. Easy as taking apart your Glock and putting the frame on the CCU. Wanna carry the Glock? Just take it off and throw your slide back on. Awesome gun and shoots great.

I've been considering doing this to my G17 for some time now.I've always been a little leary about if it'll become a jam o matic or not. I also own a keltec sub2000 in 9mm that takes glock17 mags,couldn't be happier with it. It jammed a little bit during the "break in" period you could say but after 200 rounds it's as reliable as any other guns i own.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Just recently purchased a Glock 19 and checked the KelTecSub2000 out at the 1500 over the weekend. I really liked how the rifle felt in my hands! The foldability and the Glock mag situation definitely sold me. I will be purchasing one as soon as I can. If you have a 9mm Glock, its a no brainer!

Top Bottom