• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    OK, so sake of ammo consolidation & affordability, I'm thinking of a 9mm carbine to add to my collection...something that is inexpensive, reliable, and usefull. I would like something with a higher cap mag then the 10 or 15 of a 995TS but I like the overall looks and features of the 995TS. The Sub2k concerns me as I've seen far too many threads on here and other boards describing them going KABOOM; having said that I'm not opposed to giving it a try if KelTec has "fixed" the issues.

Are there any other options out there that aren't going to cost me over $500? I would even consider a 9mm AR build, if I could get some Serious assistance! :)

What say you INGO?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlin's camp 9 and camp 45 were in the price range at one time. Not ultra high mags but they are easy to get. I bet 500 would still get you a good represenative of the carbine.

The storm, kel tec, and high point look like planet of the APES guns. The ruger pc9 is just discontinued so get one quick. They are a quality rifle without APES looks.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Marlin's camp 9 and camp 45 were in the price range at one time. Not ultra high mags but they are easy to get. I bet 500 would still get you a good represenative of the carbine.

The storm, kel tec, and high point look like planet of the APES guns. The ruger pc9 is just discontinued so get one quick. They are a quality rifle without APES looks.

Thought the PC9 was Mil/LEO only?

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Suomi is available for around $400, the 71 round drums are inexpensive as well. Mech Tech is an option if you have a Glock already or are willing to buy a lower. I have had a Mech Tech for years and recently bought a 17 complete lower for 150 so I can quit using my unlimited lower. Another option are the Masterpiece Arms Mac carbines, my brother has one in 9mm and one in 45...both run flawlessly and come with a scope rail. Then you have the Sterling...again around $400.

And no...the PC9 was always available to civilians.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...tyle,-16-25in-/cPath/209_291/products_id/3889

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/p/sterling-carbine,-9mm-cal-by-wiselite-/products_id/3446

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct502.aspx

My MPA 71 (out of production)

mpa71range-1.jpg

and my Mech Tech

mechtechcombo.jpg

Last edited:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I shot a mech tec in 10mm once and it was sweet so if the 9mm version is like it then I would also recommend it. In 10mm with the glock it worked very well me. 10mm is much more powerfull than the 9mm. It felt like a 357 mag carbine.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I'm kinda diggin' the Masterpiece Arms, has the rail for some laser/red dot lovin'. :D

'Course the Sterling is just classic....

great, now I have more decisions!

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well there are a few options you can pursue. As mentioned above you have the HP 995ts (main con: low cap) Kel-Tec, and Mech Tech (if you have an extra Glock laying around) for under $500. You just missed a Beretta CX4 in the classifieds for $500 (it didn't last long at all!), they normally go for around $700. There are also the Thureon Defense Carbine and the EMF Just Right Carbine both of these will run you around $500 to $600. Ruger and Marlin have options as well if you can find a used one.I personally went with the HP 995ts just because I lucked up on it for under $200, but I like it with the exception of the 10 round mag. Here is a real helpful website that will tell you about every 9mm carbine on the market and give you a little info on each one. Hopefully this helps.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I am planning on purchasing the storm px4 & cx4 due to the fact they share the same mags & decent capacity.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I have a PC9 that goes with my P95D. Eats from factory and after-market mags, and eats anything (event Tula). Sturdy, accurate, not too long, somewhat heavy. I just cleaned it for the first time in 10 years recently. It is built to last.

That being said, I also am looking for another. The HP995 has my vote so far, but I wouldn't pass up a Sub 2000 if the price was right. Downside is I'd have to modify all my Ruger mags for either one.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    I know I'm not gonna catch much love for this, but here goes...

I have a 9mm Hi-point Carbine. Not the prettiest thing, but numerous customization options. Only has 10 round clips, and sometimes has a FTF issue, (maybe one round maybe every three clips or so) but easily corrected in around 3 seconds. At $125 used, with a lifetime transferable warranty, it's my favorite plinker.

*prepares for the onslaught of Hi-Point Hate* :draw:

Last edited:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I think centerfire systems is running a sale on the beretta carbines or they have them for$ 659. I own a Ruger PC4 carbine (.40 cal) and just love it. It eats everything you throw at it and aftermarket mags work just like the factory magazines.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    For me I don't think the trade offs are really worth it to have a pistol caliber carbine. I mean they seem like they would be good for competition or just going to the range with, but there isn't much gain other than, as you stated, ammo consolidation & afordability. There is the longer sight radius, but you are not gaining muzzle velocity, and a much greater risk of over penatration.

Of course this is just my opinion and I am completely open to learning why & how a pistol caliber (speaking in terms of 9mm) carbine is beneficial, because after all, I know enough to understand that I don't really know s**t.

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have a PC9 that goes with my P95D. Eats from factory and after-market mags, and eats anything (event Tula). Sturdy, accurate, not too long, somewhat heavy. I just cleaned it for the first time in 10 years recently. It is built to last.

That being said, I also am looking for another. The HP995 has my vote so far, but I wouldn't pass up a Sub 2000 if the price was right. Downside is I'd have to modify all my Ruger mags for either one.

I don't think you can modify the Ruger mags for the HP995. If you can it is new to me. The HP mags are single stack and the Ruger's are double stack. I did hear something about you being able to mod them to use with one of the S2K models, but I'm not sure whether it was the S&W or Beretta one. If you don't mind me asking how much does a PC9 run used? i have a P93DC and would love to own a compatible carbine like that.

I know I'm not gonna catch much love for this, but here goes...

I have a 9mm Hi-point Carbine. Not the prettiest thing, but numerous customization options. Only has 10 round clips, and sometimes has a FTF issue, (maybe one round maybe every three clips or so) but easily corrected in around 3 seconds. At $125 used, with a lifetime transferable warranty, it's my favorite plinker.

*prepares for the onslaught of Hi-Point Hate* :draw:

You'd be surprised at how many of us actually like the Hi-Point carbines (no so many fans for the pistols though). You are more likely to be hated on for calling the magazines clips :):.

Last edited:

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I don't think you can modify the Ruger mags for the HP995. If you can it is new to me. The HP mags are single stack and the Ruger's are double stack. I did hear something about you being able to mod them to use with one of the S2K models, but I'm not sure whether it was the S&W or Beretta one. If you don't mind me asking how much does a PC9 run used? i have a P93DC and would love to own a compatible carbine like that.
    There's one on Gunbroker now up past $400, with a buy it now of over $800. Most appear to be around $600, give or take.
    As for the 995 mags, I don't know anything about the 995 except what all the wise people on the interwebs tell me:).
    Ruger mags can be adapted to a Beretta (for sure) and S&W (maybe) S2K setup through the careful filing of a slot in the right place.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    I thought I saw somewhere on here (INGO) someone recently mentioned that Hi Point had higher cap mags in the works.... if that is the case (anyone have info on this?) I have my carbine dilemma solved!

Saiga223

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I thought I saw somewhere on here (INGO) someone recently mentioned that Hi Point had higher cap mags in the works.... if that is the case (anyone have info on this?) I have my carbine dilemma solved!

I have heard this too, but the .45 carbine (the 4595ts) was in the works for like 3 years so I wouldn't hold my breath. It would be nice though.

Top Bottom