• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had an LC9 for a short while. And while it's nice and compact and lightweight I couldn't get used to the mile long trigger pull. I found accuracy to be an issue with me and the gun. I watched a few videos online about reviews for the gun and found many to be in a similar type situation. Galloway Precision doesn't have all the parts in stock to mod the trigger pull but you can send yours in to them. I picked up a Sig 938 Nightmare and what a world of difference. Even though the gun is SAO it shoots like a dream. It's not a poly gun and it's a sig so it comes with a price but thought I would throw the info out there about my experience with the LC9

The key to shooting guns like the Ruger LC9 with the longer double action only trigger is to learn how to "stage it" Just like in the old revolver days (showing my age) It can be done quickly but like anything it takes practice but it's not for everyone. At least we all have more choices on trigger systems today than we did 30-40 years ago

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... What's the best 9mm carry pistol ... small, slim, comfortable and descent ...capacity? ...

There is no single "best" candidate, although there are many good ones. Virtually all the adjectives in this question are relative.

I like to begin the conversation with the Glock 19 and adjust according to an individuals wants/needs.

What's your definition of descent (sic) capacity? My suggestion is to base it on shooting statistics (reality) and adjust according to your risk tolerance. Do you just want to "feel" safer or do you actually want to have the means that will likely be required to repel 2 perps (or 1, or 3 whatever your scenario is)? Your answers will affect your decision.

Personally, I try to never carry less than 12 rounds (6 min for each of 2 perps); usually it's 30 to 45 rounds.

If slim is the order of the day, then it just means more spare mags (for me).

There's no such thing as a free lunch. Stack the deck in your favor.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Would you elaborate what you mean by "stage it?"

Staging is an old revolver trick. On a DAO or DA revolver all staging is is where you pull the trigger around 3/4 of the way through the pull then stop maintaining constant pressure on the trigger (ie staging) then you realign your sights then pull the trigger the rest of the way. If you do it properly you won't have to pull it more the 1/4 of an inch. You need to know your firearm and where the trigger breaks to master this properly. Squeeze, Stage, Sights Bang. What it does is minimize the flaw most shooters have with a DAO design. several of us with some age on us were taught to do that with the wheelguns back in the day and it works well for DAO automatics which work at least trigger wise like a DA revolver.

I wouldn't worry about staging the trigger on a target under 10-15 yards, at least in a gun fight. At shorter ranges you will still generally hit somewhere on your target and fast hits on a threat is what you want as everyone knows. But at longer ranges staging can be the difference between a bhit and a miss. What you get by with at 3-7 yards and are somewhere on target you will be off target at the longer ranges, Sights and trigger control are 10 times more cruicial the farther the range is.

This technique takes a lot of practice to get use to and you can do it quickly once mastered.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I was lucky enough to buy a Shield off of a friend and not have to wait for one. I really like it a lot. It's my first handgun. I am waiting on my LTCH, so I don't carry it yet. But I like the feel of it in my holster when I put it on at home to get used to having it IWB. I like how it shoots and haven't had any problems with it yet. Very manageable recoil for a small as it is. The only drawback is mag capacity, but 7+1 and 8+1 is at least decent. But I love the concealability. I'd also like better (tritium) sights for it.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I was lucky enough to buy a Shield off of a friend and not have to wait for one. I really like it a lot. It's my first handgun. I am waiting on my LTCH, so I don't carry it yet. But I like the feel of it in my holster when I put it on at home to get used to having it IWB. I like how it shoots and haven't had any problems with it yet. Very manageable recoil for a small as it is. The only drawback is mag capacity, but 7+1 and 8+1 is at least decent. But I love the concealability. I'd also like better (tritium) sights for it.

Carry the flush mag in the gun and the extended mag in a pouch, that's what I do. Gives you a total of 16 rounds.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wish I had a dollar for everyone of these threads started. Best is a matter of opinion. I do not believe there is a best pistol. It's a matter of what works for you. Handle and fire as many pitols as you can get your hands on. Then decide what works for you.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wish I had a dollar for everyone of these threads started. Best is a matter of opinion. I do not believe there is a best pistol. It's a matter of what works for you. Handle and fire as many pitols as you can get your hands on. Then decide what works for you.

TRUE! Sometimes people are a little too convinced the design they choose is the best period! They all work and they all have their own quirks. As many have said. The brain is the best system.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Staging is an old revolver trick. On a DAO or DA revolver all staging is is where you pull the trigger around 3/4 of the way through the pull then stop maintaining constant pressure on the trigger (ie staging) then you realign your sights then pull the trigger the rest of the way. If you do it properly you won't have to pull it more the 1/4 of an inch. You need to know your firearm and where the trigger breaks to master this properly. Squeeze, Stage, Sights Bang. What it does is minimize the flaw most shooters have with a DAO design. several of us with some age on us were taught to do that with the wheelguns back in the day and it works well for DAO automatics which work at least trigger wise like a DA revolver.

I wouldn't worry about staging the trigger on a target under 10-15 yards, at least in a gun fight. At shorter ranges you will still generally hit somewhere on your target and fast hits on a threat is what you want as everyone knows. But at longer ranges staging can be the difference between a bhit and a miss. What you get by with at 3-7 yards and are somewhere on target you will be off target at the longer ranges, Sights and trigger control are 10 times more cruicial the farther the range is.

This technique takes a lot of practice to get use to and you can do it quickly once mastered.

Great explanation. I developed that technique on my own, as I have not had any military experience and my NRA training was all on semi autos. I started on a Ruger SP101, borrowed from my son, and decided that even with staging I was not interested in using a wheel gun. I chose the G26 for may training, and still was able to use the staging technique to assist with accuracy. I use it still with my Taurii (24/7 and 709). There a dangerous problem, though, when switching to a 1911 weapon. There is no slack in that trigger and trying to stage with it results in early discharge, before the target is fully acquired. One must remember!

Staging is a useful skill, but it can be dangerous when switching firearms.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Great explanation. I developed that technique o There a dangerous problem, though, when switching to a 1911 weapon. There is no slack in that trigger and trying to stage with it results in early discharge, before the target is fully acquired. One must remember!

Staging is a useful skill, but it can be dangerous when switching firearms.

Thats why I stated on DAO or DA revolvers! I never mentiond anything about SA's. There is no need for it on a SA trigger! Staging can only be effectivly used with a DAO or DA revolver trigger. The reason is both a DAO allows it consistantly every shot because the trigger is the same for every shot. We don't teach/advice staging a DA/SA or SAO auto at anytime and never have!

Last edited:

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    I just picked up a M&P Shield today. It's small enough to CC and has a 8+1 capacity. I think I'm really going to like it.

BTSTEVE

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Sellersburg
    I like the XD subcompact. It works for me, I like it because it is small, but not so small that I can still grip it with large hands. Carry it in a Crossbreed supertuck and almost forget it is there.

Top Bottom