• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Can anyone help me out with this? I need the suggested COAL for a 124 gr XTP in a 9mm loading. Thanks everyone, I plan on getting the Hornady loading manual the next time I see it or the next Amazon order I place.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    In some calibers they offer more than (1) XTP.... I know for .357 they offer a FP XTP and a HP XTP... The recommended AOL's could be different depending on the profile.

If what you have is bullet # 35571 ( HP XTP ), the OAL would be 1.060 per Hornady 7th Edition using the powder THEY list.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    In some calibers they offer more than (1) XTP.... I know for .357 they offer a FP XTP and a HP XTP... The recommended AOL's could be different depending on the profile.

If what you have is bullet # 35571 ( HP XTP ), the OAL would be 1.060 per Hornady 7th Edition using the powder THEY list.

Yes, this is the product that I am using, thank you for your help, I appreciate it.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    Until you get your manual, Hornady has a tech line you can call and get any data in the book + data newer than the latest version. Helpful guys. Find the # on their site.

Redwings? :noway: (except Gordie :evilangel: and Stevie Y)

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Until you get your manual, Hornady has a tech line you can call and get any data in the book + data newer than the latest version. Helpful guys. Find the # on their site.

Redwings? :noway: (except Gordie :evilangel: and Stevie Y)
    Not a bad idea and I believe that number still is 1-800-338-3220.

The op also has a recent thread mentioning using near max charges of Ramshot. I don't think that powder is listed in the manual for this bullet. I would definately call if that is whats used. Some that use heavy charges of that run their OAL considerably longer.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Well back from the range and I have mixed results. The good news first, still have all 10 fingers and a functioning Glock 17. The bad news is that almost every round jammed, or more specifically FTE. Often the slide would not even lock back on the last round, very frustrating. For posterity, the load was 3.6 gr of Zip (trickle charged) over a 124 gr XTP HP (item # 35571) set to 1.06" OAL. Saw no indications of over pressure at all, but I feel that this is not surprising as it seems that the charge of powder was not large enough to properly eject the rounds, sometimes the spent casing would still be in the chamber. I had similar results with a 124 gr plated (Berry's) RN over 4.2 gr of Zip with an OAL of 1.12" as per the Speer manual. Almost all of these jammed as well and tons of FTE similar to the XTP experience. I am not going to exceed max load on these (would never dream of it), so I'm going to call Ramshot tomorrow and see what their suggestions are. Thanks for all the feedback! Ion, Steve Yzerman was the best though my current favorite is Zetterberg.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well back from the range and I have mixed results. The good news first, still have all 10 fingers and a functioning Glock 17. The bad news is that almost every round jammed, or more specifically FTE. Often the slide would not even lock back on the last round, very frustrating. For posterity, the load was 3.6 gr of Zip (trickle charged) over a 124 gr XTP HP (item # 35571) set to 1.06" OAL. Saw no indications of over pressure at all, but I feel that this is not surprising as it seems that the charge of powder was not large enough to properly eject the rounds, sometimes the spent casing would still be in the chamber. I had similar results with a 124 gr plated (Berry's) RN over 4.2 gr of Zip with an OAL of 1.12" as per the Speer manual. Almost all of these jammed as well and tons of FTE similar to the XTP experience. I am not going to exceed max load on these (would never dream of it), so I'm going to call Ramshot tomorrow and see what their suggestions are. Thanks for all the feedback! Ion, Steve Yzerman was the best though my current favorite is Zetterberg.

By chance is the G17 a gen 4 with the original recoil spring ?

I am not familiar with the Ramshot line of powders, but looking at the data on their website, what you did looks good.

Lastly, have you ever fired any other ammo thru that G17 ? Would be curious if store bought would do the same thing.

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Vel,

It's a Gen 3 G17, so I'm not really worried about the recoil spring. I have shot atleast 300 rounds of WWB 115grers through it prior to this loading and have not had any sort of malfunctions. I've had good results with Ramshot thus far, though have only used their TAC in my AR15 and that has functioned flawlessly, not a hicup. I'm a little confused about all of this myself. The rounds fired fine, they just seemed too not have enough umph to cycle the G17 properly, like I said, I'm going to contact Ramshot tomorrow and see what they have to say, I'll post an update tomorrow.

Top Bottom