• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would highly suggest the M&P9c. I pocket carry one everyday. Also the Glock 26, Kahr CW9 and CM9 are great alternatives as well.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I would add the Walther PPS to the list. Very similar to the Shield weight and size wise. Differences are no external safety only trigger safety and mag release is the trigger guard lever type. 9mm has the 6, 7, and 8 round mag choice and changeable back straps. They are nice shooters.

Edit: They can be hard to find while they are changing importers at the beginning of 2013. Most available at this time are the heavy trigger Massachusetts model.

Last edited:

vork08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    NWI
    My wife has small hands and after placing many guns in them, she found the Ruger SR9c. She fell in love instantly with its feel and reaffirmed it at the range. Though, to be fair, she does not EDC, only to and from the range.

Judy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2011
    Sartwell, I carry my Glock in a soft IWB holster in front. It is more comfortable with easier access there. It works well with everything but very low cut waistbands.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    You really need to take her and have her shoot different guns. See what feels best in her hand.

This attitude is sadly underrepresented. Repped!

I would add the Walther PPS to the list. Very similar to the Shield weight and size wise. Differences are no external safety only trigger safety and mag release is the trigger guard lever type. 9mm has the 6, 7, and 8 round mag choice and changeable back straps. They are nice shooters.

Edit: They can be hard to find while they are changing importers at the beginning of 2013. Most available at this time are the heavy trigger Massachusetts model.

Came in here to suggest she tries a PPS too. Excellent little 9mms, and easy to conceal! :yesway:

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    This attitude is sadly underrepresented. Repped!

Came in here to suggest she tries a PPS too. Excellent little 9mms, and easy to conceal! :yesway:

I'd like to compare it to a Shield someday. I'm very pleased with the PPS so the Shield would have to be something of a surprise to better it. Then there is the unwanted safety. Also the PPS went through a 2 day training class this summer and proved itself in reliability.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Take a look at the Beretta Nano. I had to buy another one because my wife liked the way it felt in her hand as well as the reduced recoil when she shot it. Plus she liked not having to worry about any safeties.

sartwell

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    New Haven
    Thanks everybody for the advice and suggestons. After looking, handling, and shooting for a week this is what she wanted.
    IMG_20121020_162842.jpg

I'm still going to grab a Shield when I can.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I have had both, and I like the Shield much better than the PPS. Now in all fairness I probably didn't keep the PPS long enough to really give it a fair chance, only took it shooting a couple times IIRC but I found it to be very uncomfortable to shoot. Didn't care for the blocky grip and the trigger safety was so stiff it tore my index finger up. Did not shoot it very accurately either, probably because of the uncomfortableness factor. Not knocking the PPS, I think it's a great little gun, just wasn't for me.

The Shield fit me way better. It found it's way at the top of a long list of compact/sub-compact striker fired 9mm pistols that I have tried.

My only concern with the Shield going in was the thumb safety which I have to admit I'm not a fan of, but after carrying it now it is a non-issue. I just leave it off and it is so small I don't think it will ever come on by accident, but it is there if I did want to use it.

logain

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    Fishers
    Thanks everybody for the advice and suggestons. After looking, handling, and shooting for a week this is what she wanted.
    IMG_20121020_162842.jpg

I'm still going to grab a Shield when I can.

Glad she was able to try a bunch and get the one she liked. Good luck finding a shield!

Top Bottom