• Status
    Not open for further replies.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Since when is the "average employed bullet weight" for a .38 Special 95 grains?

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Willis??? Strange...
    arnoldjethro.jpg

.38 Special listed below... 139 gr average for 296 data points. Typo above, I imagine.
    SP32-20060918-215257.jpg

Last edited:

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    Is there any data on the Glazer 'safety slug'? I think that is the name...? I have a couple 9 x 19 pistols I would be interested in loading up on the rounds if they have some backing data.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Well while on a technical basis I agree with you, on a more colloquial level the term "knockdown power" is often substituted for the more correct term "energy" which is a measurable factor based on velocity and weight.

Yes, but it is not at all clear how energy translates into wounding effectiveness or the ability to quickly incapacitate an attacker. It can be calculated precisely, but it still doesn't tell you much about which handgun round is going to work and which one isn't.

blainepoe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 25, 2008
    Hamiltonian
    As they say shot placement is very important which brings into light another advantage of 9mm (in addition to capacity) and that is lower recoil. IMHO follow-up shots are easier to keep on target with 9.
    ~Poe

fpdshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Fishers
    .45 or its not worth it :):

Says the man with the Glock 19! :laugh:

Modern 9mm ammo is on par with .40 or .45. Don't be afraid to carry a good 9mm hollowpoint for carry.

Doc Gary Roberts (his chart was referenced earlier) knows more about ballistics than any else I can think of. His findings support that good 9mm ammo is GTG. I'm in my car right now and things are a bit slow on my computer, but Google Doc Roberts and most of his findings are out there for the public.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The 9mm hardball has been around somewhat over a hundred years so it must have something going for it. And with the newer HP's that is out the 9mm has only improved with age.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Caliber wars are idiotic. There I said it.

Most accurate post in this whole thread. :yesway:

In the absence of accuracy, carrying a howitzer wouldn't help. Caliber comparisons are totally inaccurate UNLESS the ballistics are being compared in gelatin. When you try to apply any ballistics to a human, there are too many variables to make such a comparison accurate. Newtons law says any action will have an equal and opposite reaction. If the bullet you fire knocks a man down, the shooter will also go down...... nuts to so-called knockdown power. :twocents:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Most accurate post in this whole thread. :yesway:

In the absence of accuracy, carrying a howitzer wouldn't help. Caliber comparisons are totally inaccurate UNLESS the ballistics are being compared in gelatin. When you try to apply any ballistics to a human, there are too many variables to make such a comparison accurate. Newtons law says any action will have an equal and opposite reaction. If the bullet you fire knocks a man down, the shooter will also go down...... nuts to so-called knockdown power. :twocents:

:+1: totally agree on the "Most accurate post in the whole thread" :yesway:

And being prior Field Artillery.. I can attest to the fact that carrying a howitzer wouldn't help. Besides the holster would drag the ground something aweful. :D

:patriot:

s346k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    And "knockdown power" is a myth. Handgun rounds, even most rifle rounds, can't/won't knockdown a human. The physics doesn't support it.
    most of it is a myth. however, after serving in the military and witnessing said "tests" on people, my father suggested i carry 45 auto. not because of what he read on the internet or what pictures of gelatin he saw. think about it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Yes, but it is not at all clear how energy translates into wounding effectiveness or the ability to quickly incapacitate an attacker. It can be calculated precisely, but it still doesn't tell you much about which handgun round is going to work and which one isn't.
    True, but there are studies that show that larger heavier bullets work better than smaller lighter bullets in the real world. Its generally true with hunting, generally true with handgun defense too. It is not gospel, but its a darn good guideline.

. . . another advantage of 9mm (in addition to capacity) and that is lower recoil. IMHO follow-up shots are easier to keep on target with 9.
    ~Poe
    Shot placement is critical, but to say that light recoil of the 9 is an advantage is probably a gross overstatement because there is no evidence that follow up shots are going to be easier to keep on target. In fact given stress of the situation and the DAO or DA/SA triggers of most popularly used modern 9mm pistols its likely that most shots will be misses (and that can be backed up with police shooting data very very easily). There is a reason competitive shooters choose SA guns, the SA triggers are much easier to use accurately under the high stress of competition.

I'll practice for well placed shots and go from there.
    There you go :yesway:

Is there any data on the Glazer 'safety slug'?
    The test data that I have seen on the fragnible ammo is dubious at best. Glazers, Mag Safe and other similar rounds may work well in the summer with a lightly clad attacker, but I would not, under any circumstance, want to depend on them in a winter defense situation. Leather coats have been found to stop those rounds.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Don't waste your time or money. Buy good quality JHP and be done with it.

Is there any data on the Glazer 'safety slug'? I think that is the name...? I have a couple 9 x 19 pistols I would be interested in loading up on the rounds if they have some backing data.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Unless you hit a vital organ early in the gunfight, isn't it more of a matter of blood loss and the shock of being shot that will force an attacker down?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom