9mm for the wife what would you recommend?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    My wife wants to start carrying and I want to make sure we get something she will like to carry. Any advice? I've been looking at the Walther PPQ, HK VP9, Sig P220.
    She doesn't like my XDS .45 or Kimbers. Thought I would get us both the same gun in a 9mm thinking she might like going to the range more with me.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    My wife wants to start carrying and I want to make sure we get something she will like to carry. Any advice? I've been looking at the Walther PPQ, HK VP9, Sig P220.
    She doesn't like my XDS .45 or Kimbers. Thought I would get us both the same gun in a 9mm thinking she might like going to the range more with me.

You mention one gun she doesn't like. That's a good start, but the rest of the post seems to be pretty focused on you. What does she want? Has she considered how she will carry? Off body in a purse, flashbang, on a belt?

Start by considering how she wants to carry, how willing she is to adjust her wardrobe and start there.

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    my wife carries a mp shield 9mm appendix carry, started out as open carry. changed for comfort

try as many as u can, have friends that will let u shoot theres. she tryed a ruger lc380 . she likes my sr9c. its just a little thicker and little longer length other than that there the same size.

drumsscott

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Carmel
    This is all great advice and well taken. She wants to carry on her belt or purse.
    McGrease08 your dead on, I was focused on what I would like for her to carry and your right it's not about what I like..
    She has been shooting with Jessie at Poseidon I think I'll let him steer her in a better direction

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A lot of good points here. 9mm smorgasbord plus trips to multiple gun stores all with "what do you want the gun for" in mind. Either that or just by a G43 :D Just kidding!

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    She would be carrying concealed..somebody approached her at our son's grave-site and that shook her up.
    Wow! Make sure she can rack the slide, shoot it, and carry it ok. Find a good holster. Also keep in mind this doesn't have to be the last gun she'll carry.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    My wife is currently considering a Sig 938 (she used to have a 238 and loved it), a Glock 43, and a Springfield XDS.

She likes the Glock, but is hesitant about no safety. She likes the Sig, but disengaging a safety under pressure means training to a different level. That's where the XDS comes in for her. The grip safety gives her the best of both. She is going to rent the Glock and XDS before she decides. I'm not sure what she'll choose.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom