• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Like an idiot, I bought some 124 grain Berry's FP bullets to start loading for my 9mm. Had I known how little information is out there about these things, I would have made a different bullet choice. I should have bought the RN version. Oh well.

Everything I read says to use data for lead when loading these plated bullets. I am going to be using 231 powder, and all sources I've read (including the Hodgdon/Winchester data site) say the starting load is ~4.0gr for 124gr lead. The problem I have is finding OAL data for these bullets.

I did a "plunk test" on my SP2022, and the bullet no longer hits rifling at an OAL of 1.085". I did the same test on my PF9 and had to seat all the way to 1.05"! Hearsay on the interwebz says that 1.05" to 1.07" is acceptable. Does anyone here have any experience with these stupid things? I don't want to go off from hearsay, and I certainly don't want to seat too deep and have a pressure spike.

Thanks guys. :cheers:

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Load to 1.050 as long as it drops in your chamber properly.
    Start low on your charge and work up.

I buy the FP's often because they are so versatile. I use the Berry's, Rainiers, and when I need a jacketed, I buy the Hornady in bulk. I like them because it's the profile that will work in .357 sig.

We have MANY different 9mm's including several after market barrels and 1.050 is right where I seat all mine and that OAL will work in every barrel we own, including the tighter chambered ones. Now, if you change to Berry's 122-124 gr HP, watch out ! That profile changes just enough due to the internal cavity that I have had to seat much deeper in a few of the barrels than I was uncomfortable with and will never buy them again.

When you start to load in volumn, you will probably see OAL's that very somewhat. This will not be due to something you are doing wrong. The flats on thoses FP's can vary quite a bit. I have found this even on the more expensive jacketed version from Hornady.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Start low on your charge and work up.

Do you suggest I start at the minimum load of 4.0gr or should I drop down to 3.8gr? I don't know how much pressure increases with every .010" of depth, but I would imagine it's a fair bit.

Now, if you change to Berry's 122-124 gr HP, watch out ! That profile changes just enough due to the internal cavity that I have had to seat much deeper in a few of the barrels than I was uncomfortable with and will never buy them again.

I have read that those 124 HP's are garbage. I'll avoid those like the plague.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm loading using 115 bullets and my COAL averages bewteen 1".020 to 1".040, because the bullets I'm using are not consistent on length. They have functioned perfectly in all my handguns. Is there no load data for 124 grain HP's in your reloading manual?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm loading using 115 bullets and my COAL averages bewteen 1".020 to 1".040, because the bullets I'm using are not consistent on length.

Are you purposefully changing the OAL? The reason I ask is because OAL is determined by the seating die relative to the bullet's nose profile, and those two things relative to the shellplate/shell holder on whatever you load with. Any bullet with the same nose profile (same ogive) is going to seat to the same OAL. What will change the internal volume of the case, resulting in higher or lower pressure.

When I load for my G17, I load to just under what will fit in the magazine. I think I'm around 1.135". That method makes the gun feed well for me.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Do you suggest I start at the minimum load of 4.0gr or should I drop down to 3.8gr? I don't know how much pressure increases with every .010" of depth, but I would imagine it's a fair bit.

I have read that those 124 HP's are garbage. I'll avoid those like the plague.

Loading that particular profile to 1.050 is very reasonable and I would not load below the listed minimum powder charge. If you are looking at data for lead, starting at where they suggest will be fine with that seating depth.

Now, their HP version of that bullet did present some challenges, but they did shoot fine. The problem I had was I was expecting to load the same OAL as the FP. This worked fine in everything I own but a couple of Glock aftermarket barrels ( KKM ) and a couple XD's. These barrels are shorter chambered and the ogive hit the rifling before the slide would go fully into battery. I ended up having to seat .060 deeper for the tighter chambers.

Another option than what you are using is Dardas's 122 gr cast bullet. It will have a very similar profile to what you have now, but costs much less.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    Loading that particular profile to 1.050 is very reasonable and I would not load below the listed minimum powder charge. If you are looking at data for lead, starting at where they suggest will be fine with that seating depth.

Thanks. That is exactly the answer I was hoping for.

I ended up having to seat .060 deeper for the tighter chambers.

:eek: That seems like a ton!

Another option than what you are using is Dardas's 122 gr cast bullet. It will have a very similar profile to what you have now, but costs much less.

Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely be on the lookout for these.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Are you purposefully changing the OAL? The reason I ask is because OAL is determined by the seating die relative to the bullet's nose profile, and those two things relative to the shellplate/shell holder on whatever you load with. Any bullet with the same nose profile (same ogive) is going to seat to the same OAL. What will change the internal volume of the case, resulting in higher or lower pressure.

When I load for my G17, I load to just under what will fit in the magazine. I think I'm around 1.135". That method makes the gun feed well for me.

No, my case length usualy runs anywhere from .747 to .753 after sizing.

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    That still has no bearing on OAL. If one bullet of the same profile varies to the next in length alone, the only difference will be internal case volume, not OAL.

Just making sure we're all on the same page.

I understand what you are saying. The distance from the shellplate to the seater in the die should be staying the same at every up-stroke of the ram. I don't know why there is such a variance in his OAL.

Top Bottom