• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Buzoido

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Well, new to guns and still learning. I've just been shooting some aguila 9mm 115 grain FMJ out at my house, knockin holes in my paper targets. I'm looking for something much more robust to keep in it at night though, or when I leave the house. Got my LTCH today =)

Links would be awesome if you are so inclined to hunt them down, but I'm wondering what would be best to look for in a self defense type ammo.

Buzoido

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    I've been there, but I don't know what i'm looking for X D
    What would be the best option(s)

BumpShadow

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been there, but I don't know what i'm looking for X D
    What would be the best option(s)

Whatever you are comfortable and accurate with. The debates are endless with hollow point vs. FMJ.

Good rule of thumb is to practise how you play. Practise with what you going to use. Don't worry, once you start popp'en the BG with bullets, he won't want to stick around.

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Buy a few different rounds and test them out. Get something you are comfortable and accurate with, preferably in JHP and 147 gr.

builder_one

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I bought a case each of Winchester's Ranger T-Series 127+P+ (RA9TA) & 147 (RA9T) for my G17. Although I'm sure there are many other good types of ammo available too. Here is a link to some T Series ammo, seem to be a reasonable price for it.

9mm / 9x19 | SGAmmo.com

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Take a look at Winchester PDX1 in 9mm. They carry 124gr +P and 147gr. This ammo is bonded and has been shown to hold good mass through material.

I carry the 147gr variety in my Glock 26.

gixer454

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2011
    Logansport
    I like Hornady Critical Defense personally, and my brother swears by the Winchester Rangers. Couldn't tell a difference when we played gallon jug tag at the range last time he was home on leave!

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    Hornady Critical Defense and Federal HST are the two that I have and carry. These two expanding hollow points, from what I have researched, have the most consistent performance when encountering clothing.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    I would recommend 115 or 124 grain +p JHPs. I always liked Federal HydraShoks. The Corbon stuff is good too. The 147s aren't nearly as reliable at expanding. I have read that some guns won't even have reliable slide velocity with these overweight (slower) rounds. I'd rather use a non +p 115 JHP than a 147.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I want to train with what I would use for self defense.
    So I shoot FMJ 115gr at the range and use JHP Federal 115g for defense.
    That's a proven load used by LEAs for many years.
    I dont really care for 124gr or 147gr or +P ammo.
    Those loads will give you more recoil and will be harder to handle especially for a new shooter.I think you should just use regular pressure ammo (non +P) unless you can afford training with +P ammo all day long at the range.
    If I have to unload a full magazine of 9mm JHP to stop a threat it doesnt matter if its a 115gr load or 147gr.The guy will stop anyway.
    I rather have a better control of my shots by having less recoil because I believe shot placement is more important than fire power.

And if you will test different loads you better make sure your firearm can handle it.
    Some makers will tell you not to use very hot loads like +P+ in their guns.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    FMJ is fine for the majority of your time at the range, but I would suggest using HP's for carry and home defense.

As for what brand, I lean toward any of the modern ones now days that gets sold in 50 round boxes... At the present, I like the Federal HST's and Speer Gold Dots. Ammo to Go often times gets them in LE packaging and you get 50 rds for not much more than most ask for the 20 round boxes... Not only buying in 50 rd boxes cheaper, it will afford you more options in testing for function and accuracy. Pick a few and go with what works best in your gun.

Click here: HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

Top Bottom