• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    I am need assistance. I am reloading 9mm, 124 grain, tite group 4.2 grains, COL of 1.120. The issue I am having is many miss fires. This past weekend at the range I had over 15 mis fires... the most ever.

What are causes of this?

• Poor quality primers -- I am using CCI & Winchester
    • Bad Brass -- These are not new brass. And they have been tumbled dry. I am not certain of how many times they've been reloaded. I bought them as "once fired".
    • Powder -- Am i not using enough powder? I had a bad experience with a double charge once on titegroup.

Any other suggestions?

I don't want to make another poor batch and waste powder, primers, bullets etc... But it seems out of a batch of 500, 15 misfires is way too high. As you can see form the picture the striker is hitting the primer, but no fire is happening.

20150125_134441_resized.jpg

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Im not saying its not the primers, but look at your seating depth. I started casting 115 bullets and started getting light primer strikes. The profile of the bullet was a little different from the one in the book, played with the seating depth and the light strikes went away.
    The bullet was being set deeper by the hammer until the primer would go off.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Gun needs to be taken into consideration also. Have you:
    Tried factory ammo
    done trigger work or springs to gun
    Round count?

I had those issues too. It was a weak striker spring of the glock doc variety.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana

That is interesting.

My assumption is that the op could check bullet seating depth by the plunk test (remove barrel, bullets should drop in free and stop solidly when brass hits shoulder) and could check primer seating depth by visual inspection ?

Did have a friend who allowed some primers to get contaminated (dropped them on floor & tried to sweep up & then use if memory serves) & he had similar issues until that batch was used up.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    All good stuff... I think the seating might be the most logical cause. I am reloading on a dillon 550b. Still learning how it functions. I was previously reloading on a lee classic turret.

Ok so lets say the issue is not seeding the primer deep enough... how do i remedy this issue? Do i have to push harder on the seating?

I appreciate your help thank you!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Having used thousands of CCI primers and hundreds of Winchester primers to reload without a single misfire, I would immediately point to your seating depth as the culprit here.
    A somewhat overlooked fact about primers is that they must be seated slightly below flush with the case head.
    The reason for that is that the lead styphnate pellet must be slightly compressed against the anvil to sensitize it for reliable ignition for when the firing pin strikes the opposite side of the primer cup.
    RCBS and other reloading companies sell primer seating depth gauges with one side of the gauge that wobbles when pressed against against the primer with it seated out too far and the other end that doesn't move at all when seated to the proper depth.
    It helps to have a dedicated priming station with a set priming depth and positive stop for the handle to allow you to find this exact spot every time.
    That's why I've always used the now discontinued Lee Auto Prime II, which has a locking ring to make the seating depth repeatable, with the seating happening entirely on the down stroke of the handle.
    I don't believe your Dillon has a positive stop for the seating depth, since I believe it requires seating on the upstroke of the handle.
    My Auto Prime II stays mounted on my older Rock Chucker, with my Rock Chucker Supreme for everything else.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My OPINION, the biggest reasons for misfires, primers not seated correctly, the "force" of the hammer strike pushes the primer the rest of the way .....

That would be my first guess...

Im not saying its not the primers, but look at your seating depth. I started casting 115 bullets and started getting light primer strikes. The profile of the bullet was a little different from the one in the book, played with the seating depth and the light strikes went away.

Also possible... if the ogive of the bullet hits the rifling before the slide is fully into battery, I could see a light strike...

A third possibility since the OP stated he had a striker fired pistol would be a dirty striker channel... You want to keep them free of lube and also clean...

mssmith44

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    I don't what is on the current Dillon 550. Mine had a set screw to set the primer depth.
    It loosened while loading and kept the primers from being seated all the way.
    If it is there, remove it. Then seat the primer by feel.
    It takes a pretty heavy pressure to seat the primer.

blkrifle

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    terre haute
    I don't what is on the current Dillon 550. Mine had a set screw to set the primer depth.
    It takes a pretty heavy pressure to seat the primer.[/QUOTE

THIS^^

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    It takes a pretty heavy pressure to seat the primer.

Do you have a picture of the set screw?

Where should I be looking on the press... obviously on the shell plate. But more precise location.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    • Poor quality primers -- I am using CCI & Winchester

Just checking that you are using the correct type of primers here. For 9mm you should be using SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS or SPP's. Magnum primers will fit but they are harder and your 9mm gun may strike them too lightly to fire reliably. Also small RIFLE primers will fit but since they are ever so slightly taller they will stick out of the primer pocket and again you can have the failure you are describing.

mpd

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    Westfield
    [/LIST]

Just checking that you are using the correct type of primers here. For 9mm you should be using SMALL PISTOL PRIMERS or SPP's. Magnum primers will fit but they are harder and your 9mm gun may strike them too lightly to fire reliably. Also small RIFLE primers will fit but since they are ever so slightly taller they will stick out of the primer pocket and again you can have the failure you are describing.

Yes to small pistol primers

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am reloading on a dillon 550b. Still learning how it functions. I was previously reloading on a lee classic turret.

Ok so lets say the issue is not seeding the primer deep enough... how do i remedy this issue? Do i have to push harder on the seating?

not just for car insurance....

[video=youtube;A8A0EGnhvfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8A0EGnhvfI[/video]

Push it REAL GOOD.

-rvb

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    btw, something OCD that I do...
    even though I bulk store all my ammo, I do put them in actual 100-cnt ammo boxes (the ones w/ little squares for each cartridge) temporarily so that I can inspect the primers. I take a flashlight and look down the row to make sure I can see that couple thousandths of seating depth. Any that are just flush or look suspect I pull and re-push to make sure they are fully seated. I'm probably hard on my press, but I crush those suckers. the only light strikes I've ever had was due to experimenting w/ the gun (eg spring weights and hammer/striker weights, etc). I'm also loading on a 550.

-rvb

DustyDawg48

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 11, 2010
    Mount Vernon
    I never had issues with primers until I started reloading .380. Something about that round was giving me trouble and some family and friends suggested checking them. that cured it and also help cure some minor issues I had after changing out my striker spring. I know hit all my rounds, before they go into their storage boxes, with my RCBS hand priming tool to insure each primer is properly seated. no more .380 issues and no more competition 9mm issues after that, everything has been 100% since then.

Top Bottom